Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Ireland

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Lost in Ireland

My great grandfather James McCULLOUGH came to Australia 1854 and was supposedly born in Warrenstown (I can only find Warringston in records, was there such a place as Warrenstown?) County Down.

When his first born son, with second wife, died in Sydney in 1882 an aunt was mentioned. Her name was Mrs John Nicholson from Court-na-Farraga Killiney, County Dublin. The boy was actually named John Nicholson McCullough (so I am thinking a little "sucking up" was going on here!)

Now, after much exasperation I have found the correct spelling of this house and where it is.
    An article tells me that the house was actually built by William Allen Exham QC (1820-1881)
    This gentleman died in 1881 so if my great aunt was living there in 1882 my question is why?

Did her husband inherit it or did he buy it.
    Who was this John Nicholson?
    Is there any record in County Down of her birth. My great grandfathers parents were James McCullough and Ann Morrill.
    They were not Roman Catholics.
    Was there a marriage of a John Nicholson somewhere to a ---McCullough.

I have written to the heritage dept of Killiney to see if they can help me with the history of the house which is now the Court Hotel. However they do not return to work unitl 9th January and I am impatient!!

Can any clever person suggest what I could do to answer just a few of the above questions.
    I hope I have set it out clearly please let me know if some vital piece of evidence is missing.
    many thanks.

Having travelled from Suffolk to Ireland with my research I am most definitely Lost !
    Marj.
    Last edited by Dargie; 06-01-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added info

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    I can only find Warringston in records, was there such a place as Warrenstown, County Down?
    Hi Marj - the closest I can find is Warrenpoint in County Down. Could that be it?

Perhaps an email to the North of Ireland Family History Society might also bear fruit:
    https://www.
    nifhs.org/contact.htm

Starting to feel at home

Hi Marj, you didn't mention what age your great grandfather was when he came to Australia in 1854 so the following may be of limited use: The Familysearch.org website has the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes 1845 - 1958 which you could search for some of the events you mentioned. If you have any dates for those events then that would significantly reduce the results of your search.

Eric

Thank you Jan for that helpful suggestion.
    I will certainy send off an email to the nifhs.

I had also found Warrenpoint but I really haven't a clue whether it is the same place or not. It is possible.

Thank you Eric for your helpfulness.

James was born in 1821 and married to Mary Craig in 1843 so it looks as if I am out of the date range. I have no idea of the mysterious sister's age but will check for a possible marriage after 1845.

Many thanks for suggestions on where to start with this.

No luck with Family search unfortunately unless I am missing something.

I think the place could be Waringstown, Co Down which is in the parish of Donaghcloney. You don’t say exactly what denomination your ancestors were but the following Church of Ireland (ie Anglican) and Presbyterian records survive for that area. Copies are held in PRONI, Belfast. They are not on-line anywhere, as far as I am aware:

C.I. Donaghcloney (Dromore diocese) Baptisms, 1697-1927; marriages, 1697-1994; burials, 1697-1919; vestry minutes, 1772-1833; parish accounts, 1745-8; parochial school account book, 1868-76; minutes of Young Men’s Society, 1863-6; register of vestrymen, 1890-1935; tithe applotment book, 1834; Donaghcloney Infant School register, 1869-70.
    Vestry minutes, 1883-; cess applotment books, 1834-; vestrymen’s lists, 1871-89; Sustentation Fund book, 1870-72.
    P. Donacloney Baptisms, 1798-1950; marriages, 1826-1909; burials, 1920-87; accounts, 1831-78; list of new communicants, 1830-79; session minutes, 1830-51; discipline cases, 1826-53 and 1862-7; poor accounts, 1831-51 and 1877-8; lists of new elders, 1826-37.
    P. Waringstown Baptisms, 1862-1985; marriages, 1854-1926.

In 1864, Griffiths Valuation has several Nicholson households (William, Thomas & Robert (deceased) listed in the townland of Donaghcloney (which is in the parish of Donaghcloney), about half a mile from Waringstown. Robert (dcd) owned a bleaching works and 26 acres of land which he had let out to two men; Thomas had a very small house and garden; and William had a house, offices (outbuildings) and 30 acres which he had let out to Moses Meek.

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...ion=nameSearch

Local family history site:

https://www.
    lurganancestry.com/
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-01-2012 at 3:34 PM. Reason: The website asks for donations.

Thank you so much Elwyn for your reply and information.

The only details I have regarding the origin of James is..
    His marriage certificate which does not tell very much but it says he came from Tullylish parish as did Mary his wife. The marriage took place at the Church of Ireland.

The shipping information says he was born Warrens Town Tullylish County Down as were his three eldest children.
    The youngest child who died in an orphanage aged three was born in County Amagh in a town I cannot possibly read but it looks like Nick........leigh.

Mary, the mother sadly died, and was thrown overboard just a few days out of Sydney. No information is given about her.

The Nicholson information was very interesting I have been thinking that maybe they we only workers at that grand house but the Nicholsons you found were quite well off so maybe there was money and John did own the grand house in Killiney.

Looks like I need ot make a quick trip to PRONI Belfast if I intend to find out more. OH dear if only!

There’s only 19 townlands in the parish of Tullylish, and none begins with a W, so some of the shipping information is obviously not quite right. There is however a place called Laurencetown (which rhymes with Warrens Town). Do you think that might be it? 33 households listed there in Griffiths in 1863 but no Nicholson or McCulloughs.

According to the PRONI site, they have copies of the following Church of Ireland records:
    C.I. Tullylish (Dromore diocese) Baptisms, 1820-83; marriages, 1820-48; burials, 1829- 33 and 1849-85; vestry minutes and accounts, 1792- 1960.

Incidentally, you can see all the townlands in Ireland, together with their respective civil parishes and counties on this site:

https://www.seanruad.com/

I can’t see anywhere that fits your Nick…leigh in Co Armagh but you can obviously search for yourself.

Thanks you again for your help.

I know that shipping records can be very misleading especially with the different accents etc. Laurencetown could well be correct. James was well gone by 1864.

Thanks also for the link I will do some homework!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast