Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kiwias

Hi Shelagh

You've just given me an extra generation of Vaughans.
    On Saturday, my local co-researcher gave me the names William and Hannah. Not known if she knows more, but I feel unlikely; as well as the names of William and Jane's children. I now also know that children Sarah and John went to Australia - the latter crossing to NZ for while - whilst William went to Canterbury.
    I was explaining to our Irish friend, the comparative ease locally, of sourcing information from those times, especially if a colonist was in business, or on a local body, or had the money to pay for an advertisement concerning births, deaths and marriages. A cursory search for William Vaughan on our paperspast site (think Trove, but much better) provided BDM info, court cases he was involved in, and such like. I assume this is all known to you?

Obviously, as I was unknown to him, I asked John Vaughan of Upper Hutt (Wellington) if he could advise in general terms (briefly) what his connection was with the Vaughan families in the South Island. He graciously replied with 1 1/2 A4 pages
    He stopped when he decided that it was getting too long and boring. No, go on, go on!
    He says he is 'pretty well retired now, from the family business'.
    Would this be your John Vaughan?

Mine of Nov 10: Annie b. 1807 is a daughter of Thomas and Sarah Gilbert, Richard and Jonathan Gilbert would certainly be uncles. Thomas Vaughn would be a brother in law. Can't find the email presently. 'Ireland' says I got this wrong. Thomas Vaughan would be a cousin?

It would appear that the Gilbert link with the Vaughan's starts and finishes with young Jane. I could send you some family trees if you wish. Notwithstanding, these Irish connections turn up all sorts of interesting things, such as the fact that, over one hundred years of inter-marriage, I am actually related to my wife through marriage. What are the odds of that. I couldn't believe it. And who said all this family tree stuff was boring?

cheers
    David

godzone

Correction, Shelagh - the Vaughan / Gilbert connection does not end with 'young Jane.'

In a diary for the year 1896, Mary Elizabeth (Minnie) Gilbert, daughter of James and Eliza Jane Gilbert, of Auckland, has
    written the address of a Mrs Furphy, Vaughan-ville, Shepperton, Victoria, Australia.
    Evidently they corresponded.

A comment from my local co-researcher is that her grandfather, Stephen Gilbert, son of James and Eliza, visited 'the Vaughans'
    in Australia, after his marriage.
    The fact that another son, Thomas, also visited the Vaughan's is established by Vaughan acknowledgement of
    Thomas' death, as in, Sorry to hear; we enjoyed his visit(s) with us.

So… there definitely was contact between the Gilberts of Auckland and their extended Vaughan relations
    in Victoria.

Amazing.

cheers
    David

Sheel

This stuff is NEVER boring just completely frustrating. lol. I have found finding the Vaughans/Furphy records in Oz comparatively easy - but from my perspective, as yours, they are distant cousins, we all sharing common ancestor of William Vaughan and Jane Gilbert. As you mentioned in earlier post, the destruction of so many Irish records has proved to be the bane of all us with Irish ancestry. Firstly John Vaughan, Upper Hutt is also descended from William Vaughan. It has been a few years since we have exchanged emails. If you know how to private message in this forum ( I don't!) I will give you my email to make sending of tree transcripts etc. easier. One of these days I will head across the ditch and will be great to catch up with all these cousins I have just discovered, lol.
    I work in a school and holidays are almost upon us, so during the extended break, I will attempt some more Parish enquiries to see what Vaughan/Gilbert records exist still. Once I get your email address, I should be able to email an invite to my ancestry tree, where you can see what info I have, so far, on this branch of the family. Happy researching
    Shelagh :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12