Default Magarahan help please

Hi

can anyone help me brake this brick wall my great grandfather was born in Cavan, according to his marriage it was 1860/61 census records have birth 1860/61/62, his father was Michael a farmer his mother Ann Reilly, I can find his brothers and sister born in Brankfield Drumlane Caven but I cant find James and one of his brothers Patrick 1870/71

Shelagh

obbie

hi were they catholic or protestant ?
    catholic birth records began 1864 most couples didnt think it important enough to reg a BMD as it cost money they also seen it as a meens to civil disobediance to the civil authorities ive found in country areas roughly 4 out of 10 births wernt reported as the years went on when fines were brought in more people reported BMD,s but still not all
    thats why church records of marriages and baptisms are so important
    cavan is not one of the "free" genealogy countys records are on rootsireland web site search for free but pay fro records
    your names come up with 5 birth or baptisms with fathers first name and mothers maiden name put in as search criteria
    you could be buying 3 births and 2 baptisms for same children .

id suspect the spelling of surname is your problem most couples couldnt read nor write
    names were spelt phonetically
    if a priest was in parish hed spell name one way if priest died or was moved next priest would spell name his way
    so same name several differnet spellings

if you already have some childrens baptism certs from the parish children were born in phone or write to the local parish priest
    if a small village its likely he will help if town or city less likely but they may have someone on parish council who with a small contribution fro you usuall to the church funds may search for you

next choice is to get the church of latter day saints microfilms for baptisms in that parish
    there next ot impossible to get in rural areas in ireland but have been told there more accesable in england

next choice is to look through the list of names on rootsireland site and write down all the names (surnames) that could be yours

do you have the couples marriage ?
    Source Surname First Name Year County
    Church Marriage Magaghran Michael 1858 Co. Cavan
    hit advanced button and enter reilly as wife surname
    note spelling of his surname

goodluck

Thank you for your reply, yes they were catholic and as you say the surname changes at every turn of a page I do have the marriage of Michael to Ann, it says they were married in Drumlane Cavan in 1858 again thank you for the good advice I will take this onboard

Shelagh

obbie

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...44&Submit.y=14

look through the list of occupants may find your surname or close spelling of
    do you think they were farmers ?

Hi

Yes they were farmers, also on Michael and Anns marrriage it doesn't give their fathers names but it dose say they are residents of Teemore

Shelagh