Slmyers

Default Rossendale Hoyles

It has been a while since I logged in but since that time I have been studiously discovering my Hoyle roots in a greater depth than ever... A trip back to Rawtenstall, Crawshawbooth, Lumb and Waterfoot as well as Southport for more recent family members revealed a lot... As well, I was able to link up with several distant relatives and we picked up easily with a sense of warmth ...

I have been lucky in my discoveries as my ancestors were well known in Rawtenstall, being the owners of Ilex Mill, operating the business under the names of Hoyle, Parker and Co, then Hoyle Hoyle and Co... The principals were Joseph Hoyle Snr., Richard Ashworth Hoyle and Joseph Hiram Parker (brother in law to Richard A.) As well they were involved in politics, firm Liberals... Non conformist in their beliefs as Baptists, avid Cricket players possessing more than one captain to the local team and owners of such homes as New Hall Hey House and Hall, Holly Mount, Carr House, Glengariff etc.... Portraits of both Richard Ashworth and Joseph Hiram Parker are apparently stored at the Art Museum to which they were gifted ... I never saw them on my visit unfortunately.

The business started as a cottage industry manufacturing Shoes and Slippers - firstly at Shawclough, then at Piercy Mill as the firm grew and then on to the massive Ilex Mill, employing over 400 employees... many of whom lived in the adjoining back to back terraces...

With the Patent Application No. 991, the firm was able to produce shoes and slippers more efficiently and at a much faster rate....

I have reams of newspaper articles but always seem to find another avenue I wish to investigate...

Sadly, Joseph Hoyle and his son, Richard Ashworth passed within 6 weeks of one another, and thus things began to change... I have recently been told however, (though need to investigate this further), that Richard Ashworth was due to receive a knighthood when his untimely death occurred... Is this fact or fiction... I aim to find out...

My research goes back further and includes info on many of the siblings from the different generations... It is wonderful to be able to get a sense on who my relatives were but mostly, to learn just how much they were respected and how widely their kindnesses extended... It makes one proud to share such a heritage...

I would be happy to assist anyone looking into the same family and would be happy to learn of any further tales that could be revealed by others...

Here's to a successful 2012 !!!

S

Slmyers

looking at other's introductions,...I do apologise for my rather wordy intro... I hope however it can be useful to anyone in determining whether or not we are researching the same family.... ; )

Slmyers

[I]Thank you so much... for your greetings and your offer of assistance... I am glad to be back BTW... I LOVE how you have been compiling your family information... : )

Sue
    Canada

Slmyers

Thank you so much Pam... I appreciate it... : ) and thank you for remembering my birthday every year too !!!!

Sue
    Canada

Slmyers

PS: I LOVE Cornwall... though never visiting Truro, I had several trips down to Cornwall when I lived in London... One of my favorite spots !!

Sue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Simyers, I am in currently based in Rawtenstall and researching local War memorials for the IWM. Your Hoyle ancestors had a War Memorial commissioned in memory of their employees killed during the Great War. It was an oak board headed "In remembrance of those who gave their tomorrow for our today" and carried 11 names. It was originally in corridor of main entrance of Ilex Mill. Sadly, this memorial is one of several reported as "Lost" ...... any clues? Here's hoping! Regards, Ian.