Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LOUISA NATHAN/FOLEY NEE CRAWCOUR 1828-1918

This post is a follow up to an earlier series on General Family History Forum and gives a summary background of Louisa Crawcour 1828-1918 including her children. Louisa was the daughter of Henry Crawcour and Catherine ( surname unknown). The data on Louisa's parents is very sketchy and there are gaps remaining to be filled. Henry was the son of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 and Rebecca ( surname unknown) died 1821. Henry was born abt 1787 and died pre 1851. His wife Catherine was born about 1804 Whitechapel. She appears in the 1851 census as a widow and housekeeper age 35 in Long Row Nottingham and later in 1871 at 15 Panton Street St Martins Middlesex age 65 stationer. At 16 Panton Street is her daughter Louisa Foley age 44 with John Foley her 'husband'. There is currently no proof that Louisa was married to John. ( I will complete full census data on the family in a further posting). Catherine died age 83 on 19 March 1887 at 166 Kennington Park Road Lambeth. Catherine and Henry had the following children:
    William Crawcour b 1836 Norwich; Louisa Crawcour 1828-1918; Hannah Crawcour 1829-1866.
    Louisa Crawcour was married to Isaac Nathan. Their marriage certificate shows a civil wedding which was preceded by a Synagogue Marriage. The GRO record:10 August 1847 20 Princess Street Whitechapel Middlesex.
    Isaac Nathan full age Batchelor- General Dealer 4 Duke St Old Artillery-father Nathan Nathan
    Louisa Crawcour no age given spinster- same address as groom- no occupation- father- Henry Crawcour. Married in the New Synagogue according to the Rites/Ceremonies of the German and Polish Jews. Witnessess- D Leo; Moses Levy.
    I will post further data.
    Phillip

In the 1851 Census H0 107 1543 45 22 ( Crown Copyright, TNA)- Isaac Nathan and Louisa are at 16 Duke St Old Artillery Middlesex. Isaac is 30 and a general dealer b Middx London; Louisa is 25 and a dressmaker b St Georges Middx. Their children are- Elizabeth 3 and Rosa 1 and a half years. There is also a son Nathaniel born abt 1853.It is likely that Isaac died Sept qtr 1858 Whitechapel 1c 221 ( I do not hold his death certificate so this date would require confirmation). However, there are no other likely names for the period because Louisa was living as the wife of John Foley circa 1861. Louisa adopted the surnames Nathan and Foley and these appear at times to have been interchangeable. Her children used the surname Foley. Louisa died at 17 Grand Parade Brighton on 8 August 1918 and the Probate record shows her surname as Nathan. She was a widow and her son Nathaniel Foley licensed victualler was an executor. However, Free BMD show her death record Sept qtr 1918 Brighton 2b 246 as Louisa Foley age 93.
    I will post further data.
    Phillip

I am including a very brief summary of the children of Louisa Nathan/Foley nee Crawcour and her first husband Isaac Nathan. The children were: Elizabeth ( Nathan) Foley b abt 1848 Old Artillery Ground Middx. She married Thomas Richard Phillips in 1875; Rose Nathan b abt 1849 Old Artillery Ground Middx ( she is not Rose Nathan the dancer). Rose married Dr Charles Campbell 1st Feb 1870- their children included- Henry b 1871- married Edith Ward; Sarah Louise b 1873 married Frank Smith; Jameson Knight b 1876; John William b 1878; Arthur b 1882; Rose Mary b1886 m William Dennis; Mabel Elizabeth b 1888 married Gilbert Cotton; Dorothy Evelyn b 1891 married George M'Gonigle; Charles b 1892- 1918
    Nathaniel ( Nathan) Foley b abt 1853-1925 married Esther Marks ( Marks requires confirmation). Esther died at 8 Brunswick Terrace Hove 30 Oct 1918 leaving probate to her husband. Nathaniel died 10 Jan 1925 14 Brunswick Terrace Hove. His probate record indicates he left a significant sum of money.
    Nathaniel was a licensed victualler and owned property in London. He appears as a witness in the Old Bailey records 5 April 1910 and was the publican of the 'Yorkshire Grey' Fitzroy Street. He also appears in The Times Weds 13 Sept 1922 as one of several publicans charged with Income Tax fraud. He was 71 and received 18 months imprisonment.
    Phillip

Helen60

Charles Campbell (1846 – 1898)

Further to your post I would point out that there is no evidence to confirm that Charles was a doctor of medicine. The error may have arisen owing to Charles’ poor handwritten ‘Esq’ being misread as ‘MD’ by the officiating minister or he had deliberately elevated his status to impress his new bride. Charles concealed his illegitimate origins by naming ‘Clement Robert Campbell,’ a fictitious person, as his father. It should also be noted that the first witness named on the Certificate W.H. Patten-Saunders ‘KCG’ was something of a celebrity during the 1860s and 70s and was not averse to embellishing his reputation as a sportsman with sometimes far fetched and preposterous claims. The other male witness at the ceremony was Samuel West a student of medicine who later qualified as a doctor.
    In correspondence with his guardian Sir Henry Knight Storks there is a reference to Charles’ intention to obtain a ‘situation in the public service.’ This may have been thwarted by his failure to pass the relevant examination since studying did not appear to be easy for him.
    After his marriage Charles obtained a commissioned in the new Army Control Department (later Pay Corps) but after a short posting in Barbadoes was forced to resign owing to ill health. After this he became a life assurance agent and possibly a part time Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Thank you Helen for the update. I have access to a range of records and can see Charles, Rose and their family on the various census records/ probate etc. My interest in the lines is specifically related to the Crawcour ancestors and descendants and up dating the significant data I hold on the various lines. Do Charles and Rose appear in 1871 Census at 62 Oxford Terrace Paddington RG10 23 41 24 ( Crown Copyright, TNA) - he is age 23 b London no occupation given and Rose is 20 b City of London. There is a Mary Anne Leyland widow age 50 b Edinburgh named as Charles aunt.
    Phillip

Helen60

Phillip

1871 Census at 62 Oxford Terrace Paddington RG10 23 41 24 ( Crown Copyright, TNA)

Yes this is the correct entry for Charles and Rose.
    Another update for you:-
    Charles and Rose had another son Harold Edward 1872-1874.
    Jamieson married Ethel Louisa Levi, John William married Adelaide Tomkins and Arthur married Florence Grace Dewberry.
    We have been unable to establish the origins of Charles’ mother Sarah or her sisters Mary Ann Leyland and Dorcas Jane Campbell/Rogers.

Helen.

My thanks Helen for this information. As you can see from my numerous postings on the Crawcour lines as well as my Jacobs lines there are significant links to the various Levy/Levi families through marriage. In your last post you refer to the marriage of Jamieson Campbell to Ethel Louisa Levy. Do you have any more data on Ethel? My relationship to the Crawcour line is via my 5x great grandfather Samuel 1748-1816 and his youngest son David my 4x great grandfather and then through his daughter Ann Rebecca Crawcour my 3 x great grandmother.
    Phillip

Helen60

Phillip,

As far as I know Ethel Louisa Levi was born c1880 and her parents are Joseph Levi and Charlotte L. Board. On the 1891 census Joseph Levi is a Stonemason. I have not done much research into this family as we have enough trouble trying to sort out the Campbells/Rogers.
    I have also sent you a private message concerning Louisa and Nathaniel Foley.

Helen

I have replied to your private message Helen and have undertaken initial research into Ethel Louisa Levi and her family which is proving of interest. I will post further on the lines when I have collated and checked the data but initial research indicates that Ethel' s father Joseph's parents were Philip Levi and Ann Beales. Philip started as a shoe maker and then became a green grocer but his father Henry Levi was a glass cutter b abt 1780. I need to confirm this data but it is based on the census records and Marriage Banns.
    Phillip

Default THOMAS RICHARD PHILLIPS-ELIZABETH NATHAN

I would appreciate any assistance locating Thomas Richard Phillips and his wife Elizabeth Phillips nee NATHAN in the 1881 census. I have searched on two main sites but can't locate them. They were married Sept qtr 1875 London 1c 157 but the marriage is not on the London, England Marriages and Banns 1754-1921. This maybe a Jewish wedding because Elizabeth was the daughter of Louisa Nathan nee Crawcour and Isaac Nathan. Elizabeth was born abt 1852 and appears as a widow in post 1881 census records. Thomas died Jan qtr 1882 age 33 London 1d 681. The probate records show: Thomas Richard Phillips formerly of the " Grapes" George St Minories City of London but late of 76 Amersham vale New Cross County of Surrey licensed victualler who died 30 Jan 1882 at 76 Amersham vale. Probate to Elizabeth Phillips 76 Amersham vale widow, the relict and the sole executrix- Effects £199 7s 10d.

I have not as yet searched Thomas pre his marriage and currently have no data on his parents or origin.

Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast