Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lindarhead

Question Littleport,Cambridgeshire

I am searching for a baptism for a John Haines, born in Littleport,Cambridgeshire circa 1769. I have his marriage record but the IGI for Littleport baptisms is incomplete.if anyone could offer a 'look-up' it would be much appreciated.I know I can buy the Parish Reg CD but at £20 this side Christmas it's not possible.

Many thanks for any help.

Linda

Would this not be better asked in the Cambridgeshire forum?

lindarhead

Thanks,Andrew, I'll do that.

Linda

janbooth

Hi Linda,

I can't find him on the Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index at Littleport under HAINES/HAINS/HAYNS/HAYNES/HEYNS/HEYNES. Was he married at Littleport or do you have some earlier link for him to Littleport?

Janet

janbooth

Looking further on the Baptismal Index, there does not appear to be a John HAINES or variants baptised c1769 on the Index anywhere. As Littleport is very close to the Norfolk border, have you considered he may have been born in Norfolk? Looking on the IGI there is a baptism at Welney (pretty close to Littleport) of a John HAINS in 1769, parents John & Alice - perhaps worth consideration? You can browse through the actual Archdeacon's Transcripts for Welney 1725-1812 via IGI Family Search website so should be able to ascertain if a John HAINS was indeed baptised there, died young or married and remained there or disappeared from Welney altogether.

Janet

lindarhead

Hi,Janet,

He was married at Littleport, the transcribed IGI record states to an Ann Novel, but I think it's Hovell. On the '51 census his place of birth is given as Littleport, wife Ann's place of birth is Denver,Norfolk.

Linda

lindarhead

Thanks, Janet,

I'll take a look at that.

Linda

pippycat

Something strange for you!

Under Cambridgeshire Parish records on A* is the following:

John Haynes b. and Ann Bartlet Miller sp. 16 July 1820

Marriages at Curry Rivel 1642-1812
    Collection: Cambs register of marriages 1538-1837

Ive googled Curry Rivel and its in Somerset, how weird is this? - unless, of course, Somerset is the brides parish where they wed and been entered under Cambridgeshire marriages because that maybe the groom's parish?

Rebecca

lindarhead

Thanks for looking,Rebecca,and that is interesting but my John and Ann were married in 1791 in Littleport and she was from Norfolk. I wouldn't be surprised in John's father wasn't actually named Jonathan as after John there are a series of three Jonathans. I have since posting this found a marriage for a Jonathan Hanes in 1761 which would fit in with John's birth year of 1769 or thereabouts, in Sturston Norfolk, which doesn't appear to be too far from Littleport.Could be a possibility?

Linda

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Something strange for you!

Under Cambridgeshire Parish records on A* is the following:

John Haynes b. and Ann Bartlet Miller sp. 16 July 1820

Marriages at Curry Rivel 1642-1812
    Collection: Cambs register of marriages 1538-1837

Ive googled Curry Rivel and its in Somerset, how weird is this? - unless, of course, Somerset is the brides parish where they wed and been entered under Cambridgeshire marriages because that maybe the groom's parish?

Rebecca
    Let's just say that A* would fail 99.9999999999% of any tests you gave it on English counties.

The new Familysearch site says that the Haynes/Miller marriage took place in Eltisley (Cambridgeshire). Source quoted is film number 88600 which the LDS catalogue says is Eltisley parish registers, i.e. the transcription on Familyserarch has been taken from the PRs.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast