Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bergman93

Hello Coromandel, thanks for looking. The Philip Tobin you've found in Hartlepool for 1914 is correct, his mother's maiden name was Wilson. And I agree regarding the Philip Tobin death in Luton 1988, the year of birth is all wrong. Sadly I don't know his date of death and I'm not sure of his place of death either, I'm assuming it was Luton. The DOB for the man who died in 1988 isn't the birth date (never mind the year!) for my Philip Tobin, his birth was 8 June 1914, father Laurence Tobin, mother Margaret, formerly Wilson. The marriage in Suez is also the correct man. The marriage certificate states father as Lawrence Tobin and his age together with profession, all match.

The 1963 marriage is also correct, the name of the person and the address where she was living all tie in with what I've been told. I'm just stuck on the bigamous marriage, allegedly to my mother and there wasn't any reason to lie. This has been kept a very closely guarded secret in the family, but now that all those involved have passed away cousins etc., are willing to talk, problem is they don't know dates or facts, only what the eavesdropped when they should have been in bed! It is said he was a very nice man, sadly that doesn't help, does it? I'll soldier on.

Thank you for your help.

dawnkaren

ancestry has this death for a philip tobin, Philip Tobin
    Birth Date: 1914
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1969
    Age at Death: 55
    Registration district: Elstree
    Inferred County: Hertfordshire
    Volume: 4b
    Page: 101

his fathers marriage in hartlepool

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)

TOBIN Lawrence Hartlepool 10a 276
    WILSON Margaret Hartlepool 10a 276

bergman93

Hello Peter
    You are so right. Mother born Penrhiwceiber March 1910 (Pontypridd district) m John Henry Watson in Bedwellty 1929.
    John Henry Watson died Luton 1944.
    Four children from this marriage.
    I am assuming the later birth is me - March 1951. Spelling is incorrect, but I think it's me.
    Don't know anything about Watson/Harrower/Brown, nothing to do with my family.
    My birth cert., only shows my mother, there is a dotted line through the box for father.

I also tend to agree with your last paragraph in that the bigamous marriage didn't happen, but too many people seem to know about it. I think my only hope would be either court records or Bedfordshire Newspaper Archives.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Bergman93

Mutley

Unfortunately, like the others, I have been unable to find the marriage.

I have two bigamous marriages in my tree.

1.The lady married her first husband under her maiden name. She married the second husband under her maiden name. She married the second husband, a second time, following the death of husband number 1. This time she correctly used her first married name.
    All three marriages are in the index and I have all three certificates.

2. Both wives tried to claim for his effects when the husband died so no doubt there! Both marriages are in the index and I have both certificates.

As far as I know though, there were no court cases.

I wonder if Philip used another name for the marriage to your mother, knowing it was bigamous. A variation of some sort?
    I don't suppose he was witness to the marriage of the brother and sister?
    Is there any help on your siblings birth certificates, if his name is on one of them you may be able to apply for his WW2 service record?
    Sorry, I just cannot think of anything else other than newspapers.

Mutley

I also had a look at the death indexes.
    You can search for a death, if after 1969, using just the birth date.
    Sadly it returned something like 1,500 being male and females.

Narrowing it down using first Philip, then Phillip, then Tobin, I still could not see him though it depends on who registered the death and what was entered, it was worth a chance.

bergman93

Thanks to you I've just received the death certificate for Philip Tobin which is registered as above. All details match. The reason he died out of county was because he was in hospital. His usual address was where I'd heard he was living. I can't thank you enough for your help.
    bergman93

Reputation beyond repute

I suppose there's a chance that he intended to marry bigamously but that he was rumbled before he could do so. If they were intending to marry in church (of England), there are the banns registers that you could check. Otherwise I can't think of anything.

I think your best option is to search local court records for a maintenance order. You would have to travel back to your home territory for that or perhaps you could commission some research if funds permit.

bergman93

Thank you to you all for your help in this
    Bergman93

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123