Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KEGTEX

Default Evans in Henllan

Does anyone have any information regards an Evans family that was in Henllan around 1822? My gg grandfather Elias Evans is shown having been born in Henllan, his father was Robert Evans, and mother
    as Mary. I think he had sisters, Margaret (two times), Catherine, and Susannah; but could not find any brothers. I'm walled on finding anything else on Robert and his wife in Henllan, but there is an interesting group in Llanarmon, Denbighshire that might be the family. Thanks for any help & guidance.

Kegtex

Found this family on the 1841 Census (HO107 1405 2/8 10)
    Robert Evans, 40, Ag lab
    Mary Evans, 40,
    Hannah 15, Margaret 12, Susannah 10, Joseph 6, Sarah 1
    Address Tynesan, St Asaph, Wickfair (see Wygfair/Wigfair). All born Denbighshire.

This is the family in 1851 - see HO107 2506 347 22 - living at Tal y Cefn, St Asaph + Ruth born 1842

Mary born Llanefydd?, Margaret born Llanefydd? Transcribed by F*P as Llanfydd - but looks like Llane/afydd on the original (there's a Llanefydd just over the border in Conwy)

Llanarmon somewhat further from Henllan than Wygfair/Wigfair (Wickfair on original 1841 image).

Do you have a census reference for the Llanarmon family?

Just confirmed with www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki that 1837-1974 Llanefydd is in Denbighshire.

You can find Tal y Cefn on a google map - very close to Llanefydd

IGI has the marriage (extracted record) of
    Robert Evans and Mary Daniel, 26 May 1821, Henllan, Denbigh

You mention 2 Margarets in your initial post. The Margaret baptised 4 Oct 1818 was born to Robert Evans and Mary Roberts (extracted record). None of the others you quote have the mother's name pre marriage recorded.
    Also noted the dual entry for Elias Evans - both extracted records - baptised 25 Jul 1821 and 2 Sept 1821. The same Elias or different individuals?

H

KEGTEX

First, thanks for all this information. Second, my information for Elias's parents names come from the marriage certificate. It's hard to pinpoint which of the Robert Evans in the various censuses is the correct one, since none of the '41 census shows Elias with the family. The Robert Evans I chose to put in the tree on Ancestry is listed as born in Llanarmon, born 1783, in the '41 Census. I put this in the tree about 3-4 years ago, and I cannot remember why I chose him...perhaps because of listings in familysearch.org showing other children born in Henllan.

Now, with all the additional information you have given, plus the fact that I'm not relying on ancestry/familysearch for all my info, having discovered the NLW and findmypast along with this website...I think I stand a good chance to find the elusive mr evans.

KEGTEX

Interesting, perhaps a first marriage, before the Mary Daniel marriage. For some reason, perhaps transcription error, both dates are listed. I presume the same person, as all other information on the entries are the same, just the dates. One birth, one baptised??

I hope to have time later today to check other sources and update the information.KEGTEX

The Robert and Mary I have identified in '41 and '51 can be found in '61 at RG9 4297 60 8. With them is their 10 year old grandaughter, Mary Evans, born Meliden, Flint about 1851. We can discount Joseph as the father. Therefore, it could point to an older son giving Mary her surname OR one of the daughters married an Evans (can't be discounted).

What info do you have regarding Elias' children? Did he have a Mary born about 1851, not with her parents in '61?

F*P's transcription of the '61 census needs updating. Both Robert and Mary have "Llanbydder" as place of birth. Looking at the original image Robert's POB reads (I think) "Llanrhaid(e)r" and Mary "Llanfydd". They are still at Wigfair and the place looks like "Tyn y Pwll".

pippycat

Re: thread #6 - both dates listed.

When transcribing births and baptisms unless the events took place on the same day its impossible to remember everyone's name that appears on your list..which could easily contain many hundreds of names.

So you can't go back 10/40 pages (or more) to the 'baptism' you entered way back and correct it for what now should have been the birth date - hence the duplicate entries.

It usually means you have dates for both birth and baptism

Rebecca

KEGTEX

I have the following information: Birth, 25 July 1821, (Wales birth & Baptisms 1541-1907) 3 May 1851 marriage to Sarah Roberts, (Birth 1829) with copy of certificate where I found the parents names; 1861, 1871, 1881, & 1891 Censuses; Children in order Jane 1853, Mary 1857, David R. 1859 (my paternal G.g. grandfather) Thomas 1864, Robert 1867, and Margaret 1872. The 1891 census only shows a child, Robert Roberts, 7 as a grandchild, born in Bettws. All others are out of home. David left for the US shortly after the 1881 Census. I show Jane in service in Rhuddlan in 1871 (I think it her), and married to Henry Harrison (Birkenhead 1879).
    Also, I have found what are likely 1881 and 1891 census entries for Robert and Margaret out of St Asaph in Cheshire in service, but I have not posted them to my tree at Ancestry as I am not very comfortable about the truth of them.

cerip23

hi

I am also researching evans' and have lived in henllan most of my life. If you need help, just give me a shout. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast