Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pippycat

They all get the same response from me:

"I'm not interested but I know my husband will be"
    Usually its 'good, can I speak with him'?
    "Of course you can" say I, "just dial 999 ask for the police because he's at work right now"

...no idea why they hang up on me!!

Famous for offering help & advice

I've had the calls as well and ignore them!
    I did get a nice leetter in the snail mail yesterday informing me I had won $15,000.00 American! I just had to send them $20.00 to get my money! Wonder how much they make on that scam?

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is nice to see that you live up to your description - "Loves to help with queries"

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post

"Of course you can" say I, "just dial 999 ask for the police because he's at work right now"

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    At least I will know what to say! I wonder how many other people are quick thinking and say the same thing?
    Not really quick thinking Glen, we've had so many of the darned calls and I've tried all sorts of resposes, the 'what computer?' reply seems to keep them away longer

Truth be told, nothing is going to stop them once they've got 'found' you!

Best wishes
    Ann

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post

That's brilliant.

I've tried all sorts in the past but the last twice they have rung I just say I don't have a computer here and they hang up.

I'm just waiting for the next person to ring and say to me, all friendly "How are you today?"

Then I can say "Im so pleased you asked, I've got this bad shoulder -- been giving me pain for days etc etc . . . " and see how long it is before they hang up.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Starting to feel at home

I had an Indian fellow phone about my computer problem (about the 5th one). I can tell by the lack of phone number that it's them. I'm fairly good at doing voice imitations, so I pretended to be Indian too. I started stringing this chap on that I'm from the mother country; chatting about things Indian. Had myself in near hysterics. Doesn't he go and bugger it all up by starting to talk in Punjabi. I didn't know what to say, so I mumbled on about India in English. When he tried Punjabi again, I launched in to an English tirade about what he could do with his computer help.

Too bad I didn't speak Punjabi, I could have kept chatting with this guy forever and he wouldn't have known the difference. Strangely, he didn't once ask about my computer once I got chatting about India with him.

Next time I'll pass him to my wife and she can talk to them in French. See how they like it.

Philippa_Harvey

I had yet another of these calls during the week. Decided to be very chatty and friendly and said "Oh I'm so glad it's you. I've been told that if you did call I must make a recording and then hand it to the police for tracing. Can you please just hold the line while I set it all up - I won't be long?"

BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!

Don't know if it will have a lasting effect or not, but I did feel soooooo good for a minute or three. Didn't stop to think that it would be impossible to trace a call from a recording, but then neither did the caller!

Philippa

Barnzzz

I've found that earnestly telling people that computers, loans, mortgages (and most other things) are against my religion makes these callers go away. I'm probably listed somewhere as a religious nut.

Sandra Parker

I've also had my moments with these charmers. After a particularly trying day last week, I was really in the mood.
    When asked about my computer, I said I had one, but he didn't sell it to me, so did he know what to do with this one. He then asked something about windows to which I replied ecstatically that I did have wiindows (paused for a bit) and that they were indeed in desperate need of attention, but he could only come to clean them in the mornings as I nap in the afternoons. He explained that he was referring to windows on my computer, I said that my computer didn't have a window, it had a screen. At that point for some reason, he lost interest and made a most decided burring noise.
    I felt so much better after that!
    Next time I might discuss viruses, because I know they make people very sick!
    Sandra whose spectacled aura enjoyed the conversation as much as she did - most theraputic.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Someone fell for this...

I met a friend yesterday whose husband was not thinking straight and got "caught". They are moving and he had the computer on clearing up some loose ends and the phone rang. She did not give me the details of who they claimed to be,( she was working when he called her about it) however I believe it was something to do with their provider. Anyway, he clicked on what they suggested and they wiped his computer clean! It was all very quick and he could see the stuff just disappearing line after line. When he asked what was going on and realised what he had done, ( and he knows better) the guy laughed and offered to reinstall it all for $465.00 ...... just needed his credit card. He hung up and called the bank first, then the police and so on down the line for everything they had ID on the computer for.
    This is a man who knows better, but they caught him at such a time that he was vulnerable and fell for their line. It may have been a coincidence that he was clearing files and history or perhaps they had a "bug" that alerted the caller but it happened. It can happen to anyone. Never, ever believe one of these callers.

Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast