Robin

Question TAYLOR in Wick 1800's

Trying to help my Mother-in Law.
    Looking for TAYLOR in WICK, DUNNET areas
    She knows one was a Harbour Master in the 1850's, who's son drowned in the Harbour when his ship (MARJE) sank in a storm.
    Have visited the Museum in Wick & also the Local History Center.
    It would appear that all records prior to the 1800 have been lost/destroyed
    Any info welcome
    If the man on the BMW who we talked to in August at the "new" DUNNET graveyard, regarding his Aunt the Postmistress at BROUGH reads this please get in touch
    Robin

cdnsctgirl

Have you tried World Connect site? When I searched for TAYLORs in Wick, I found 6 people. There are also 6 listed for Dunnet.

I have Caithness TAYLORs in my family, but I think they're from Halkirk. Who knows, though? Perhaps they're connected to the Wick/Dunnet branch somewhere.

Sarah

Robin

Wink Taylor in Wick

Hi
    It seem that anytihing prior to 1800 has been "lost" so she is tyring to find anyone with any documente history prior to this date
    robin

JocelynR

Default TAYLORS in Halkirk

Quote Originally Posted by cdnsctgirl
    Have you tried World Connect site? When I searched for TAYLORs in Wick, I found 6 people. There are also 6 listed for Dunnet.

I have Caithness TAYLORs in my family, but I think they're from Halkirk. Who knows, though? Perhaps they're connected to the Wick/Dunnet branch somewhere.

Sarah
    Hi Sarah: I'm interested in your Halkirk Taylors. I'm a Taylor myself, and can't get further back with the Taylors than my ggggrandfather Henderson Taylor, who married Helen Jack in Halkirk on July 21 1821. (There are 3 more Henderson Taylors and they're all related to me.) The 'original' Henderson doesn't show up on any census - he may have died before 1841 of course - so I've no idea when he was born, or where. But the family remained in Halkirk for 3 or 4 generations.

Does this ring a bell?

Jocelyn

cdnsctgirl

Sorry... I don't appear to have any Henderson Taylors in my tree at all. The Taylors I have that would be your Henderson Taylor's contemporaries were born between 1772 and 1804... in Bower. The Halkirk branch starts with William Taylor (1772-1860), one of my ancestors, who married (twice) and raised his family in Halkirk. His parents were William Taylor and Isabella Finlayson.

Sarah

JocelynR

Default TAYLOR hope

Thanks, Sarah - never mind! I did go on Scotland's People today and they're promising that the images that are missing at the moment (including the entry on Henderson Taylor's marriage) will be available in 2006. Which is now! So maybe I'll find out more when that image appears - though I'm aware parish registers don't necessarily tell you much.

Cheers

Joc

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello,
    My name is John Taylor and my late father (also John) was born in Wick in 1924. My late father left Wick during the last War and met my mum and settled in England. I am visiting Wick this August (2016) so it will be good to have a look around the place again. I also have cousins living in Manchester who also visit Wick on a regular basis. If it is of any help Peter and Edna Taylor who live in Australia run an excellent Taylor family tree website which may prove to be of great interest.

Hope this helps
    Best wishes
    John.

Hi Jocelyn. I believe that we are both descended from Henderson and Helen Jack. Please let me know if you pick this message up and I will share further details. Thanks
    Neil