Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AnjaliUK

Default Can anyone help with Gt. Barford PR?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has access to the Gt. Barford Parish Records or a wills index and would be willing to do a quick look up for me? I know there is a great site with lots of the PR indexed from about 1813, but wanted to know if the surname TRUSTRUM or TRUSTRAM or similar appears in the parish before then?

I have two Trustram ancestors in Gt. Barford in 1830s. They are siblings, Edward and Betsey, born in St. Neots in the late 1810s. Their father James is a brick wall for me (although I have a few leads), and I was wondering if there was an earlier Trustram connection in Gt. Barford for me to investigate.

It's a bit of a long shot and I live three hours from the Bedfordshire Record Office, so if anyone could tell me if there are Trustrams there or not it would be lovely.

Nicolina

the 1841 Census (HO107/454/7/11 page 17) for Great Paxton has:
    James TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1786 occ: Miller
    Ann TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1786 (born in County)
    Eliza TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1821 (born in County)
    Sarah Ann TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1824 (born in County)
    Caroline TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1827 (born in County)
    Ann TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1839
    James TRUSTRAM b. abt. 1826

plus William ELLIS b. abt. 1823

by 1851 James senior had died and his son was now the Miller, living at Yew Tree House, Great Paxton. (HO107/1750/28 page 11) together with his mother & sister Caroline. (Plus 2 Apprentices.)

AnjaliUK

Thanks for looking this up! I already have this record though, sorry if my request was confusing, I meant that James's origins were my brick wall. From the above census record I know he was born outside of Hunts, but not where. From this record and his burial, I know he was born about 1779-86. I have a potential match for him in Bassingbourn, Cambs (b. 1779) but I haven't confirmed it yet and wanted to rule out Gt. Barford or see if there were more clues in their PR's.

So, still after Gt. Barford info if anyone has it. Thanks

Nicolina

I did have a look to see if I could find him anywhere but he's still a mystery man. Maybe there is an Apprenticeship record out there (somewhere). It's another possible avenue to search.

Jan1954

There is a cd Great Barford Parish Registers Supplied by Bedfordshire Family History Society

janbooth

What may also help you is that the James TRUSTRUM who was baptised in Bassingbourn on 9 June 1779 (source Cambs FHS PR Transcripts of Bassingbourn) was the son of Edward TRUSTRUM and Ann. Ann was buried on 23 September 1798 (wife of Edward died suddenly) and husband Edward TRUSTRUM was buried 31 May 1822, of the parish, aged 87 (same source). Edward's will appears on The National Archives Documents Online website and is downloadable for the sum of £3.50. If you are lucky and this is the same family, the will may mention his son James and his whereabouts plus his grandchildren and their whereabouts. Could be worth a punt for £3.50 especially as TRUSTRUM does not seem to be that common a name.

James TRUSTRUM does not appear to have remained in Bassingbourn as there is no burial for him during the period 1779 to 1879 nor has he married nor had children there although brother Edward did and looks to have been a Farmer from the transcripts.

IGI has the burial of a James TRUSTRUM at Great Paxton on 22 March 1844 - could also be worthwhile looking for a will for him.

Janet

davidcarca

Just about all Beds parishes pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org, so it's a simple job to see if there are any Trustram baptisms or marriages in Gt Barford prior to this date. Just checked the fiche referred to by Jan and there are none. And there are no Gt Barford Trustram wills held at BLARS in the Probate Records Index

Baptisms in St Neots (per PR transcript):
    26 Jul 1817 Edward Trustem son of James & Anne millwright
    26 Jul 1817 Anne Trustem dau of -----do-------------------
    4 Apr 1819 Edward Trustham son of ------------do---------
    4 Apr 1819 Elizabeth Trustham dau of -------do------------
    9 Jul 1822 James Trustem son of----------do-------- privately
    12 Jan 1825 Sarah Ann Trustrum dau of James & Ann miller
    12 Jan 1825 James Trustrum son of ----------do------------
    13 Jul 1826 Caroline dau of -------------do----------privately

Marriage 1813 at St Neots James Trustram of Lt Paxton and Anne Wiles widow (per Hunts Marriage Index)

Possible first marriage: 1803 St Neots Richard Wiles and Ann Palmer. I can't see any other WILES/Ann marriages that fit. A Richard Wiles age 53 was buried at St Neots on 22 Aug 1810. Richard and Ann Wiles, gent, baptised Elizabeth Hargrave Wiles on 8 Jan 1808 (born 29 Sep 1805)

The James Trustrum burial at Gt Paxton on 22 Mar 1844 was aged 65. The previous Trustrum burials in Hunts were all in St Ives, between 1680 and 1789

David

AnjaliUK

Nicolina - thanks for looking, I will certainly look in Apprenticeship records, you never know what could show up!

Jan1954 - thanks, I would be happy to buy the PR if anyone confirmed there were plenty of pre-1813 Trustrams on there. Have made the mistake before of getting a PR and then finding the IGI record I had was in fact the only one of that surname!!

janbooth - thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions Unfortunately the will doesn't solve the mystery, it does mention James, so I know he is still alive in the 1820s, but it doesn't say where he is living or mention any grandchildren to back up the connection. I think you're right, the lack of burial does suggest he moved away and I'm glad you agree it's really likely to be my James. Would be nice to get something more definite to back it up! Will definitely be looking for the will, they're almost always interesting or useful aren't they.

davidcarca - I wish I could click thanks more than once, this is fantastic! That gives me two extra children and 7 extra baptisms I didn't have!! I was sure there was a Betsey though, second oldest, will have to look into it further.

And even better, thanks for finding the marriage. I had them in the Allegations, but it didn't say whether she was a widow. I had tried to look into it, but couldn't find anything on FamilySearch, so this answers more questions for me and gives me another surname to research. Yay

And a third thanks for checking Gt Barford for parish records and wills. Now I know that's not the place to look.

Thanks so much, I am going to go do more research with this new info

davidcarca

I imagine that Betsey was Elizabeth.

David

janbooth

Looks as if Edward TRUSTRUM (possible brother to your James) left Bassingbourn and went to Royston. There is a mention of him on Cambridgeshire Archives online catalogue as being in Bassingbourn in 1833 and then a further mention of "Effects of Edward TRUSTRUM of Royston under assignment (pp 29-36) 1 December 1836" - wonder if he left a will??

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast