Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PayPal Scam

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default PayPal Scam

I'm not sure if this is global or just NZ but here goes:

About 15 months ago I set up a PayPal account to pay for some research at National Archives. No problems and I haven't used the service since.

Please note the emails I mention were opened on the ISP's Server not my PC

Two days ago I received an email advising me that PayPal had updated their terms and conditions and provided a link for me to review. Because I hadn't used the service I didn't follow the link.
    The following day I received a second email as follow:

Subject : 1 unread message at PayPal

Body of message:

We need your help
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear valued PayPaI® Customer,
    We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.
    What's the problem?
    We noticed some unusual activity on the credit card linked to your PayPaI® account.
    Case ID Number: PP-001-212-055-698
    How you can help
    It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most of the time, we just need a little more information about your account.
    To help us with this and to find out what you can and can't do with your account until the issue is resolved, please proceed to our secure webform by clicking here. <link deleted by me in the posting>
    Thanks,
    PayPaI®

Now that message raised alarm bells for me and I obviously didn't click the link.

From my browser I "Googled" PayPal; went to the Contact Us section and sent them the above message - (I didn't use my log-in details but the facility that allows anyone to contact PayPal). A few minutes later an email arrived confirming that the message was a scam. The message also gave comprehensive details of what NOT to do when scam messages are detected.

In hindsight the first message I received about the Terms and Conditions update was probably the first step of the scam.

Now what really worries me is that the banks are working with telephone companies to try to make all financial transactions electronic. Do they really believe they can provide 100% foolproof anti-scam systems?

Our banks here announced that they would be ending the use of cheques until they were asked how small businesses without card facilities would manage and how small clubs and societies would get their subscriptions without card facilities. They seemed surprised not to get their own way. These days the banks are run by weirdos who just want to grab as much of our money as possible for the least amount of work.................as for scam emails if they don't address you by name they are not real and should be deleted without opening.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

v.wells

I never use PayPal simply because it can't be trusted. I trust my credit card more or pay by cheque/cash. PayPal scams have been going on for years!

Famous for offering help & advice

On the other hand, it's not just PayPal: you don't have to search far to find someone who is dissatisfied with any financial institution. I do use PayPal, and so far haven't had any problems. Mostly I use it for small items costing a couple of pounds or so (eg on eBay), and I like being able to make this kind of purchase without sharing my card details widely.

Arthur

Reputation beyond repute

Vanessa

This looks to me to be a straightforward example of phishing and does not reflect badly on Paypal at all. Messages like this will have gone out to thousands of people whether or not they are PayPal customers. You periodically get the same sort of thing naming any bank you care to mention. It is just crooks trying to fool you into handing over your password details to them.

This does not suggest any PayPal security problem whatsoever.

Also the thread title "Paypal scam" is misleading. It is a scam mentioning PayPal - not a scam perpetrated by Paypal.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Also the thread title "Paypal scam" is misleading. It is a scam mentioning PayPal - not a scam perpetrated by Paypal.
    So Peter, given your knowledge and expertise, how ould you set up a title.

This thread was atarted solely as a warning. Nothing more, nothing less.

For me, it wasn't a scam perpetrated by PayPal - which incidentaly I do not use - but the name was used as a means of putting fear into PayPal users.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    S
    For me, it wasn't a scam perpetrated by PayPal - which incidentaly I do not use - but the name was used as a means of putting fear into PayPal users.
    OOOPs - I wasn't trying to put fear into anyone over using PayPal, simply making a comment that some crooks are trying to get access to PayPal details.

Perhaps the title should have been something like "Crooks targetting PayPal users" ??????

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    Perhaps the title should have been something like "Crooks targetting PayPal users" ??????
    Personally I think the word crooks should be replaced with another. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the forum obscenity checker will not allow that sort of word to appear.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Personally I think the word crooks should be replaced with another. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the forum obscenity checker will not allow that sort of word to appear.
    I am a very naive member with a very limited vocabulary.

Replace Crooks with?
    Crucks, Cricks, Chucks, Chocks, Chicks, Chocs,

Oh do tell, I shan't rest until I know.
    I might be able to figure a couple of ** in the right places, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I am a very naive member with a very limited vocabulary.

Replace Crooks with?
    Crucks, Cricks, Chucks, Chocks, Chicks, Chocs,

Oh do tell, I shan't rest until I know.
    I might be able to figure a couple of ** in the right places, maybe
    Behave yourself!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast