Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sandra Parker

Default I think my John was a very naughty boy.

John Chilvers, the son of Thomas Chilvers and Sarah Browne, was born 21st Jun 1798, baptised on 17th Jul 1803 and married Sarah Pearl(Purl) on 16th October 1823. All at Dickleburgh. They had 7 children between 1834 and 1837.

In 1841, Sarah is receiving Parish Relief and is listed as a pauper, her situation improves over the years and she dies in 1876. John disappears around the birth of the youngest child.
    Norfolk court records show his possible appearance as there is a John Chilvers, on 3 Jan 1838, resulting in transportation for 7 years.

Enquiries at this end show a John Chilvers being one of 240 convicts transported on the Portsea, 24 July 1838. Great Britain. Home Office.; State Library of Queensland.Criminal : Convict transportation registers [HO 11] (I am following this up).

I would really appreciate it if someone could find out the details of the Norfolk Court trial which resulted in the 7 year sentence.

And the big question, did he get back to England? He certainly does not appear to have rejoined the family, who seem to have remained in or near Dickleburgh.

Sandra whose spectacled aura isn't quite sure about being connected to a convicted felon

Sandra Parker

Thank you Ron One for the PM. That's my boy, stealing wheat, 6 children, one died at or soon after birth and another son given the same name.
    Sandra whose spectacled aura is happy now we know he wasn't really that naughty, given his circumstances.

Sandra Parker

Thanks to some great direction from OneRon, I know have found him on the 'Portsea' leaving Portsmouth on 31st July on and arriving in Sydney on 18 Dec, 1838. I know he was 5'4", with brown skin and eyes with light brown hair and 'Eyebrows partly meeting.Scar on back of middle finger on right hand. Same contracted a little and nail disfigured.'
    He was a Protestant and had previously received a 2 month sentence.
    He became a Ticket of Leave man and on the 12th Feb 1845 was given a Certificate of Freedom.
    Now did he get home or not?
    Sandra

Findem

Hi Sandra,

As over here in Australia having a transported convict in the family is considered a status symbol, you're up there with the OZ aristocracy

Disclaimer: This does not include any modern day felons.

Regards

Sandra Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Findem View Post
    Hi Sandra,

As over here in Australia having a transported convict in the family is considered a status symbol, you're up there with the OZ aristocracy
    Regards
    Whoopee! John Chilvers, convict, tranportee and generally concerned family man, is my GGGrandfather. This is now confirmed as at the end of his sentence he applied to have his wife Sarah Pearl of Dickleburgh, be brought to Australia. I've got a copy of the application. And I know all about her.
    So Findem, I've got one!
    Now to find out whether he went back to England when she did not/could not join him.

Sandra whose spectacled aura is now really chuffed at being associated with a noted personage.

Mutley

Sandra, according to Ancestry UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849
    he was sent to Portsea on the 19 July 1838 and sailed out on a ship called the 'York' leaving from Gosport.
    Prisoner number 7608. (Here it says he stole corn)

On the Criminal Registers it says the crime was Larceny, before convicted of Felony. !!

There is also a reference to another John Chilvers born about 1793. His trial was on the 29 July 1839 at Norfolk and he received 3 months for Larceny. A relative?

I cannot see any evidence of your John making it back to the UK.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I checked the NSW births, deaths, and marriage index and couldn't find the death of John, but I'm not certain the indexes are 100% accurate.

Findem

Hi Sandra,

How lucky are you! One of my Ancestors had a sibling who was the last man hung in Essex but unfortunately it doesn't qualify me for a place in the Oz aristocracy, according to a co researcher who researched his life "if something wasn't screwed or nailed down, he would nick it". His last crime was to cut down someone's fruit trees, the complainants were reported to have said, words to the effect, that if they knew he would be hung for the crime they would have withdrawn charges, the good old days eh!

According to the same researcher the outcry led to hanging being abolished in Essex, just think, if he hadn't been hung, he might have been transported and then I might have just crept into Oz aristocracy, so close!

Regards from plain old working class findem.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Findem View Post
    Hi Sandra,

How lucky are you! One of my Ancestors had a sibling who was the last man hung in Essex but unfortunately it doesn't qualify me for a place in the Oz aristocracy, according to a co researcher who researched his life "if something wasn't screwed or nailed down, he would nick it". His last crime was to cut down someone's fruit trees, the complainants were reported to have said, words to the effect, that if they knew he would be hung for the crime they would have withdrawn charges, the good old days eh!

According to the same researcher the outcry led to hanging being abolished in Essex, just think, if he hadn't been hung, he might have been transported and then I might have just crept into Oz aristocracy, so close!

Regards from plain old working class findem.
    He was not alone, many had swung before...
    www.
    essex-family-history.co.uk/hung.htm

Sandra Parker

Default Is there SKS going to the NSW Archives?

With help, I have been able to trace my recalcitrant GGGrandfather John Chilvers, from Norfolk to NSW on the Portsea, arriving in Dec 1838. I have details of his conviction for stealing 2 bushells of wheat and the subsequent trial,sentence and voyage.
    He is listed on the Portsea convict list.
    I understand that there is a muster list which shows the names of some of the convicts and their placement.
    The reference is NRS 1155 Musters and other papers relating to convict ships [2/8273]
    Portsea 1838 p.353 Includes list of men to labour on the public works.

I am wondering if SKS who may be going to the NSW Archive at some time, could have a look and see if there is any reference to John Chilvers.
    Thanks
    Sandra

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast