Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rico

Default Gray & Waterfield Roma Family ties

I'm seeking any help & information regarding the Gray & Waterfield families who are both of well known Roma families.

I am searching for information for the parentage of a Lavinia Waterfield who married Henry Gray. Henry was christened 14th Feb' 1851,East Winch, Norfolk, England & was the son of Robert Gray & Sarah Harris of Cambridge.

Also, Henry's sister, Margaret Gray, b. 1842, married in the mid 1860's a Joseph Waterfield, b. 1838 Tittleshall Cum-Godwick, Norfolk, England, parents unknown.

Lavinia or Joseph Waterfield one could suspect were probably at least close kin if not siblings, being that they married repspectively Henry & Margaret Gray who were siblings & that such family inter connections were quite the norm' amongst Roma families.

Rico

Rico

Another family connection between the Gray & Waterfield families is through Joseph Waterfield & Margaret Grays son Job Waterfield, b. 1881 in Shereford, Norfolk, England.

Job Waterfield married 7th May 1902 in Swainsthorpe, Norfolk, England, a Susannah Ellen Sellers, b. 1882 Front Row HIghgate, Kings Lynn, Norfolkshire, England.

Suannah Sellers parents were Richard Sellers & Matilda Gray of whom I have no further information.

I am curious as to how & where Matilda Gray fits into the Gray family tree & I would appreciate any help or information regarding her parents or Gray familiy ties.

Job Waterfields grandparents (Margarets parents) were Robert Gray & Sarah Harris. This Robert Gray being the son of another Robert Gray b. circa 1775 Cambridgeshire, England, & Mary Leighton, b. 1777 Isleham, Cambridge, England, (both my direct Gray ancestors)Mary being the daughter of William Leighton & Mary Torrington.

Of Sarah Harris I have only that she was born circa. 1804 in Swainsthorpe, Norfolk, England, parents unknown. The Harris family is another well known Roma family & I would suspect Sarah's parents/family once identified would have many other ties to the Gray family also.

Rico

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post

I am searching for information for the parentage of a Lavinia Waterfield who married Henry Gray. Henry was christened 14th Feb' 1851,East Winch, Norfolk, England & was the son of Robert Gray & Sarah Harris of Cambridge.
    Is this Henry Gray and Lavinia in the 1901 census?

1901: RG13; Piece: 1830; Folio: 32; Page: 26.
    2 Caravans, Cawston Road, Aylsham, Norfolk
    GRAY, Henry 59, head, Horse Dealer (Travelling), East Winch Norfolk
    GRAY, Lavina 40, wife, Bedford
    GRAY, Lavina 22, dau
    GRAY, Thomas 18, son
    GRAY, Fanny H 9, dau
    GRAY, Charles 7, son
    GRAY, Ralph 3, son
    GRAY, Job 1, grandson
    WATERFIELD, Pooley 20, son in law
    WATERFIELD, Roddy 18, step son
    WATERFIELD, Sissy 15, step dau
    WATERFIELD, Lettie 14, step dau

I can also see a Lavinia WATERFIELD in the 1881 census with a husband called Pooley WATERFIELD.
    RG11; Piece: 1931; Folio: 25; Page: 43

Going by the 1901 census, I would suspect that WATERFIELD is not Lavinia's maiden name. I couldn't find a marriage between a Henry GRAY and a Lavinia WATERFIELD. There is a marriage in the index in 1890 in Norfolk for a Henry GRAY and one of the spouses listed is Lavinia LOVERIDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    There is a marriage in the index in 1890 in Norfolk for a Henry GRAY and one of the spouses listed was a Lavinia LOVERIDGE.
    On checking Family Search, here are some of the marriage details.

groom's name: Henry Gray
    groom's birth date: 1852
    groom's age: 38
    bride's name: Lavinia Loveridge
    bride's birth date: 1859
    bride's age: 31
    marriage date: 15 Sep 1890
    marriage place: Sharrington, Norfolk, England
    groom's father's name: Robert Gray
    bride's father's name: Hookey Loveridge

Rico

Hi Olliecat,

Thanks for the quick reply, you caught me unprepaired for such a speedy response.

I believe it more than likely is the same Henry & Lavinia (Waterfield) Gray. This census 1901 Henry Gray's age is stated as 59 which makes him born around 1842 while the Henry Gray I have is recorded as being born 1851 & christened 14th Feb' 1851,East Winch, Norfolk, England, making him 50 years of age in 1901. By memory I have copies of Henry's certificates. Then again this is nothing unusual for Roma as far as exact details go.

I have the same Pooley Waterfield in my data, I believe born around 1855 in Little Cressingham, Norfolk, England who married a Levinia ? Pooley also had a younger brother named Walter Pooley, b. 1857 Lynn, Norfolk, England, but I do not know their parents or have any further information I can substantiate as yet.

Yes, I share your thoughts that Levinia's maiden name may not have been Waterfield & she may well have been the prior wife of Pooley Waterfield but I can't substantiate this any futher as yet. To add some further weight to this Henry Grayy was prior married to a Sarah ? before Levinia came on the scene.

Many thanks again for your fast reply Olliecat.

Rico

Rico

Hi Olliecat,

As mentioned, your speedy reply caught me unprepared but I've now have had a little time to digest & re-aquaint myself with these Grays & Waterfields.

It does seem that the census & marriage details you pointed out are the one & same Grays & Waterfields as mine. Apart from Henry's given age in 1901 being a tad older, but this again is nothing unusual for Roma people.

When I was looking at the same census details some time back I remember 'Lavina Gray', daughter aged 22 in the 1901 census throwing me into some doubts. This makes her birth approx' 1879 & 11 years before Henry married Levina in 1890.

Is it just a coincidence her name is Lavina ? All the listed step childrens ages coincide with Levina's previous marriage to Pooley Waterfield pre 1890 as does Henry's son Thomas Gray aged 18 in 1901 by Sarah match.

Fanny 9, Charles 7, Ralph 3 1901 census ages match as children born to & after Henry & Lavina's marriage in 1890.

Lavina aged 22 in 1901 just seems a rather odd coincidence to me. I wonder as I have come across before if Henry & Lavina had a relationship going back much further than their marriage date & overlapping prior marriages & that Lavina may have been a result of such ? or, coincendence of name or, simply another lack of detail or error in information they provided for the census ?

But yes, this does appear to be the one & same Henry & Lavina, & Pooley Waterfield.

Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    When I was looking at the same census details some time back I remember 'Lavina Gray', daughter aged 22 in the 1901 census throwing me into some doubts. This makes her birth approx' 1879 & 11 years before Henry married Levina in 1890.
    I thought I'd look for Henry and Lavinia in the 1891 census. Granted the ages are all over the place (sigh)...

1891: RG12; Piece: 1508; Folio 11; Page 15 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Caravan 3 & 4, Small Burgh Rd, Stalham, Norfolk
    GRAY Henry 36, head, travelling hawker, East Wynch, Norfolk
    Levenia 42, wife, Bradford Yorkshire
    Lavinia 12, dau, Aylsham Norfolk
    Napoleon 9, son, Bintry Norfolk
    Adolphe 7, son, Hunworth Norfolk
    Rodney 5, son, Cley Norfolk
    Silvester 3, dau, Harpley Norfolk
    Letitia 1, dau, Gresham Norfolk

This is just after the 1890 marriage. The question being - are all of these Lavinia's children by her previous spouse or do some belong to Henry and his previous spouse? I will see who is with Henry in the 1881 census in a moment and try to work out daughter Lavinia. Since she was recorded under the surname of GRAY rather than WATERFIELD in the 1901 census, I suspect she is Henry's daughter.

This could be Henry in 1881 (if once again he is disregarding the need to be at all accurate with his age), in which case Lavinia is his daughter.

1881: RG11; Piece: 1930; Folio: 67; Page: 36 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Aylsham, Norfolk
    GRAY, Henry 34, head, basket maker, East Winch, Norfolk
    Sarah A. 37, wife, Ingham Norfolk
    Henry 5, son, Aylsham, Norfolk
    Aldolphus 2, son, Catfield Norfolk
    Lavinia, dau, 9 mo, Aylsham, Norfolk

Edit: I've just found Henry GRAY (I think) in the 1911 census. Oh dear! I can post the info but it's even more confusing.

So far, I can only see one baptism for a child of Henry's (whether by Sarah or later by Lavinia.) From FreeREG ...

Henry GRAY bap. on 28 Dec 1875 at Catfield, Norfolk. Birth date 20 Nov 1875. Parents Henry and Sarah Ann. Father's occupation Traveling Basket Maker. Notes: No Abode Is Listed

There is this marriage between a Henry GRAY and Sarah, but it is purely a guess and may or may not be the right one. Finding a birth certificate for one of the children would be helpful in order to confirm Sarah's maiden name.

groom's name: Henry Grey
    groom's birth date: 1850
    groom's age: 21
    bride's name: Sarah Anne Barter
    bride's birth date: 1847
    bride's age: 24
    marriage date: 18 Sep 1871
    marriage place: Deopham, Norfolk, England
    groom's father's name: Robert Grey
    bride's father's name: James Ward
    Note: Sarah's surname is recorded as BAXTER on another record
    (Source Family Search)

There is a possible birth in the index for sons Henry Gray in 1875, Adolphus in 1878 and also daughter Lavinia Gray in 1880. It would also be good to find a birth certificate for a GRAY child born to Henry and Lavinia in order to check her maiden name. However, at this moment I can only find this possibility for son Charles ....

Birth Dec 1893 Aylsham 4B 83
    GRAY, Charles

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    There is this marriage between a Henry GRAY and Sarah, but it is purely a guess and may or may not be the right one.
    I just noticed that there are further details of this marriage on FreeREG.

Marriage on 18 Sep 1871 at St. Andrew, Deopham, Norfolk
    Henry GREY, 21, bachelor, basket maker, abode Deopham, father Robert GREY, basket maker
    Sarah Ann BAXTER, 24, spinster, abode Deopham, father James WARD, labourer.
    Witnesses: Henry EVERETT, Elizabeth EVERETT

So, what was the occupation of Henry's father Robert. Does it tie in with basket maker?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast