Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks, I'll do that.

My thanks to Elwyn for his help.

I've confirmed that Creevyloughgare was the right place name due to Theresa's shipping record to Australia (she arrived in Sydney 28 Sep 1871 and was a housemaid)

Due to the lack of records for them there (there are gaps in the records that cover Theresa's likely baptism and, probably, her parents' marriage and the baptisms of any siblings) and the rarity of the surname in the county it looks like they came from somewhere else in Ireland and then moved elsewhere, probably by 1864. I'm thinking that they emigrated. It's going to be very difficult, to say the least, to find out where they went.

Another update.

Today, thanks to kindly volunteer from New Caledonia, I got a copy of Therese's death certificate. And the information that she had three sons out of wedlock after her husband's death (she had three daughters with that husband).

It has her parents as Harry Golden and Mary William, and a birth date of December 1848 (she was really born around 1850)

I'm willing to believe that she was born in December, due to the fact that her birthday may have been celebrated by the family, but the fact that her father has the wrong name makes me wary about the mother's maiden name as well.

I'm wondering, though, where the name "Harry" came from.

Still, I do have more leads, descendants wise, so that's something.

Mistakes on death certificates are very common. The informant often had little or no personal knowledge of the deceased's parents and so mistakes are understandable. I'd favour the information on the marriage certificate which is first hand, over that on the death.
    ELWYN

Me too. Sadly, that means I still need confirmation on her mother's maiden name.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123