Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for William Scott from Gladsmuir

I am trying to trace William Scott who was born in Gladsmuir East Lothian 9th August 1886. He had a brother George and a sister Margaret.
    His father was Wilson Wilson Scott born 10th June 1833 in Gladsmuir.
    His mother was Isabella Wilson born 4th April 1844 in Longniddry East Lothian.
    They were married 13th February 1874.
    I have traced William to the census of 1901 and 1911, still in Gladsmuir. (His age in the 1911 census is wrongly given as 21).
    After that, I can find nothing, not even his death. It has occurred to me that he could have gone to war in
    WW1 but I cannot find any information on this.
    So if there is anyone out there who has any info, please reply.

George Scott

Mutley

I don't suppose you know if he had a middle name?

There is a record of a William K Scott, born Gadsmuir, Haddington.
    Residence was Macmerry, East Lothian who died of wounds on 10 June 1917 at Flanders.
    He enlisted at Tranent and was a Lance Corporal in the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment, 16th Battalion).
    Service number 29532

Sadly it does not give a birth date or age. Might be worth a look at the Commonwealth War Graves Site.

Mutley

I've just looked at the CWGC and W.K. is probably not your William as he is listed as the son of
    James Scott, of West Bank, Macmerry, East Lothian.

Sorry

Coromandel

Do you know when William's parents died, George? If so you could investigate whether they left wills. These (if they exist!) might give some clue as to William's whereabouts and perhaps any family he had. Unfortunately the probate index on Scotland's People stops in 1901. For a guide to finding later Scottish wills and testaments, see

https://
    www.nas.gov.uk/guides/wills.asp

Thanks for your input Mutley. William had no middle name and the area around Gladsmuir is full of Scott's which does not help finding people.

Coromandel, William's father died in 1918 in Gadsmuir, his mother died in1916 in Macmerry.
    They were a family of coal miners so I doubt they had wills but I will have a look.
    Thanks for helping.

Mutley

The William K who died in 1917 lived at Macmerry. You have stated that your William's mother died at Macmerry.
    It is still possible that if William K is not your William, he was related in some way.

I have the death certificate of my uncle that was killed in WW2, the CWGC have given him the wrong parents. There are often mistakes in transcriptions of records so can be worth checking further.

I have no experience of searching for Scottish relatives but there are many mentions that Scotland's People is a very good site to use. I believe it is pay to view but apparently worth it. Perhaps it would have Parish Registers, though maybe you already use it because I could not find William on the 1911 at FMP and I think that record is probably on the Scotland's People site.

Your William had three older siblings (2 brothers and a sister) other than George and Margaret,
    do you know what happened to them?

Could William have emigrated?

Sorry, I don't think I can help and am just throwing wild shots at you. I hope a member with more experience will be along soon.

William actually had two half brothers, Andrew and Alexander, and a half sister Jane. Their mother was Jane King, William's fathers first wife.
    Both Williams parents died in a place called Macmerry which is only a mile from Gladsmuir but the parish is Gladsmuir hence the confusion.
    You mention the 1911 FMP, what is it?.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It's the 1911 census at FindMyPast.

Thanks for your input

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast