Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gscott1 View Post
    You mention the 1911 FMP, what is it?.
    For those without a subscription to Find My Past, the 1911 census can be accessed as a paysite here

www.
    1911census.co.uk

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking at the free index on Scotlands People I think William K may possibly be William Kerr Scott b 1896 Gladsmuir.

Have you checked out the deaths in East Lothian on SP? There are 4 deaths in East Lothian of a William Scott b 1885 - 87 from 1911 - 1986. (Looking further all are after 1950) All with mother's maiden name not recorded. None in Gladsmuir though.

There are 109 deaths in Scotland altogether of that age between 1911 and 1986 so probably a bit too expensive to investigate all of them!

Mutley's suggestion to chase up the siblings may be useful.

Also William's father's death certificate could - possibly - be worth looking at to see who the informant was. But no guarantee that it would be William!

Also FMP's passenger list index has quite a number of William Scotts of the right age leaving the UK after 1911. So may be worth checking.

You may have this but there is also a marriage of a William Scott in 1912 in Gladsmuir reg district to a Jessie,

I have gone back to Scotlands People and come up with a list of about a dozen William Scott's who died in WW1 .
    Does anyone know how to get the parents names from these lists.

I have gone back to Scotlands People and come up with a list of about a dozen William Scott's who died in WW1 .
    Does anyone know how to get the parents names from these lists.
    Parents' names are normally but not always on the death certs in Scotland. You need to register and buy credits on SP. To try and save money you could try to eliminate the unlikely ones from identifying them as possibly on censuses or from baptisms in Family search. But time consuming. William Scott is such a common nname.

Another suggestion. There were 2 Williams age 15 - 35 in Gladsmuir in 1911, yours and William K - so I think it is likely that the 1912 marriage may have been your William (though no guarantee). Playing with the index her name was Jessie Chapple. I have found a death of a Jessie Scott other surname Chapple b 1889,. Death is in Dunblane, Stirlingshire. So if you have already got the 1912 marriage cert to check it is the right William ,that might be another cert worth getting. I can't see a death for William in Dunblane but there are some in Stirlingshire.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post

Another suggestion. There were 2 Williams age 15 - 35 in Gladsmuir in 1911, yours and William K - so I think it is likely that the 1912 marriage may have been your William (though no guarantee). Playing with the index her name was Jessie Chapple. I have found a death of a Jessie Scott other surname Chapple b 1889,. Death is in Dunblane, Stirlingshire. So if you have already got the 1912 marriage cert to check it is the right William ,that might be another cert worth getting. I can't see a death for William in Dunblane but there are some in Stirlingshire.
    Forgot to say, Jessie's death was 1970.

Just found this photo of the war memorials in Gladsmuir church with both a William Scott and a William Kerr Scott (one on each plaque) So I am guessing that this is your William.

https://
    warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-40425.html

So he may be no 222 on the CWGC list of W Scotts on p 15

Private William Scott service no 12666 died 04/10/1915 age unknown Scots Guards Panel 8and 9 Loos Memorial

You would need to check more thoroughly - I may be mistaken, only looked quickly.
    Very sad to see how many names there are.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post

So he may be no 222 on the CWGC list of W Scotts on p 15
    Ignore these numbers - when I rechecked no 222 on p15 it had changed to an Able Seaman Scott! and then again to a Seaforth Highlander..... I know not why. But the one I found is in there somewhere. I only saw 2 from the Scots Guards in the list.

Thanks to all for their input.
    The William Scott who married Jessie Chapple is not the one I am looking for (different parents).
    I have tried to crosscheck the Scottish war memorial records against the Commonwealth War Graves but there are too many without a place of birth to get an answer.
    For the moment, I cannot see a path to an answer so I will put it on the back burner until something pop's up.

Cheers to all from Australia.

Thanks to all for their input.
    The William Scott who married Jessie Chapple is not the one I am looking for (different parents).
    I have tried to crosscheck the Scottish war memorial records against the Commonwealth War Graves but there are too many without a place of birth to get an answer.
    For the moment, I cannot see a path to an answer so I will put it on the back burner until something pop's up.

Cheers to all from Australia.
    Sorry that your William was not the one to marry Jessie. Do you think that the William who married Jessie was the same William Scott of 2nd Scots Guards on the Gladsmuir church war memorial - or is there still a chance that he is your William?

It might be worth contacting people in the area - in the BT residential numbers online there are 2 J Scotts and 1 S Scott listed in Macmerry (addresses and tel nos given) or perhaps a letter to Gladsmuir church asking for a mention in the parish newsletter.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast