Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

Now the wait begins - but at least I know she died in NZ - just not sure where at present.
    And then there will be the question of WHY did she go there? Isn't this a fun 'obsession"?

spison

Hi Colin,
    The Funeral Notice for George Joseph RIXON is not terribly exciting I'm afraid but the transcription follows. It's from the Sydney Morning Herald on the 7th December, 1971 (7/12/1971)

RIXON. - The relatives and friends of the late GEORGE JOSEPH RIXON, of Lane Cove, are invited to attend his funeral service, to be held in the chapel of the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, tomorrow (Wednesday), at 10.10 a.m.
    BRUCE MAURER. A.F.D.A. (926141 North Sydney)

Jane

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

https://www.northernsuburbscrem.com.au/driver.asp

It might be worth checking the Northern Suburbs Crematorium - there is a contact page - to see if George's ashes are there. They might be still in a niche, or scattered. Maybe Vera went back to NZ to scatter them there in another service with other family. Having family there seems the most likely reason for her to go back.
    ChristineR

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Hi Colin,
    The Funeral Notice for George Joseph RIXON is not terribly exciting I'm afraid but the transcription follows. It's from the Sydney Morning Herald on the 7th December, 1971 (7/12/1971)

RIXON. - The relatives and friends of the late GEORGE JOSEPH RIXON, of Lane Cove, are invited to attend his funeral service, to be held in the chapel of the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, tomorrow (Wednesday), at 10.10 a.m.
    BRUCE MAURER. A.F.D.A. (926141 North Sydney)

Jane
    When you say, "not very exciting", Jane, at least Vera and he made friends while in Oz. Be kinda nice to know who they were and whether there was a Condolence Book that was given to Vera afterwards, or may be a copy of same is in the care of the crematorium.

Might be worth following up as Christine says in her post #33

Colin

spison

When you say, "not very exciting", Jane, at least Vera and he made friends while in Oz. Be kinda nice to know who they were and whether there was a Condolence Book that was given to Vera afterwards, or may be a copy of same is in the care of the crematorium. Might be worth following up as Christine says in her post #33 Colin
    Yep you're right. I was hoping for some names for you. I hope there's a Condolence Book too.
    Jane

Colin Rowledge

Well folks, the wait for the N.Z. death cert. is over. It arrived today

It confirms some things, disputes others and leaves more questions than I had hoped for.

What happened to V.M.L after his death is not known except for the following:
    1] She appears in the 1981 New Zealand Electoral Rolls as a Widow -living at 59 Rimu Street, Waikanae,
    Horowhenua, Manawatu-Wanganuui.
    2] My dad received a letter from her sister in law [Queenie Rixon] saying she died on April 1 1985 in St.Leonards, New Zealand. There was no return address on the letter so my dad couldn't reply.

I would like to find their final resting place, copeis of death certificates and wills and when V.M.L left Oz for N.Z.
    From the death certificate, it states the description of the deceased - age, marital status, parents and father's occupation, name of spouse and usual address [as noted in #1 of the quote].

The date of death is definitely - January 4, 1985 and she died at Palmerston North Hospital.

The cause of death was a Massive gastro intestinal haemorrhage that started 5 hours before her death. She also had a Duodenal Ulcer that had been bleeding. It is possibly this condition that caused her to be admitted to the hospital from her home.

Her death was certified by the Doctor who had attended her up until her death. There was no specific invidual indicated as the informant - what is stated is that the informant was rosser Funeral Home Ltd. and they handled her funeral presumably.

She was cremated at Whenua Tapu Crematorium, Pukerua Bay on January 8, 1985. What happened to her ashes or whether there is any memorial plaque is not stated or known

Whether Vera herself provided some other information or it was done by someone who knew her when she was admitted to hospital there is one interesting item - Vera had lived in New Zealand for only 8 years.

We know George Joseph died on December 6, 1971, so she didn't leave Australia until some time in 1976. Her sister Florence had died in 1971 and her brother in law Reginald had departed for England by 1973, so what prmoted her to move from Australia to New Zealand? Could it be due to climate [weather] as she suffered with Chronic Arthritis in her knees and the weather in England where her brother in law had moved to would not have helped? So another question is - who assisted her in those arrangements?

We know that she was at 59 Rimu Street at the time of the 1981 Electoral Rolls were completed. How often are/were these Rolls completed and what is the criteria for voting in N.Z. elections? If there was an election in 1977 or so, then she may not have been eligible to vote but still living at the same address and this may show up from an old telephone book.

I am not about to speculate on the contents of the letter my dad received. Suffice to say that in all probability he misinterpreted the date of death [he had been in Canada over 20 years and had become used to our dating system]. As for the other stuff, Queenie is the only one to know and she died a while ago.

One thing I would like to do is find the crematorium and see what if anything they can provide me with. Is it still in business?

If a local knows, maybe we can resolve a bit more

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    https://www.northernsuburbscrem.com.au/driver.asp

It might be worth checking the Northern Suburbs Crematorium - there is a contact page - to see if George's ashes are there. They might be still in a niche, or scattered. Maybe Vera went back to NZ to scatter them there in another service with other family. Having family there seems the most likely reason for her to go back.
    Hi ChristineR

With the help of your link, I was able to find the site. What a beautiful and impressive facility it would appear.

I sent an email and the automated response said to expect a reply within 2 working days. Hope this is factual

Will update accordingly

Colin

Colin Rowledge

I realize that there is a time-zone difference between Australia/New Zealand and Canada, but the following just about blew my mind:

1] See post #37 - I sent an email at 4.44 pm [Canadian time] and their response was received at 7.15 pm. Pretty impressive - 2.5 hours!! A far cry from 2 days eh? but then they are a private business so presumzbly value customers.

2] Had a query so sent an email to New Zealand BDM folks. Wasn't certain that I would even get a response as my request fell outside their area of expertise. Semt at 3.38 pm my time. A satisfactory response with instructions on how to proceed was received at 7.26 pm my time. Less than 4 hours [and Government to boot!!].

Will wonders never cease??

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Yep you're right. I was hoping for some names for you. I hope there's a Condolence Book too.
    Jane
    Hi Jane [and ChristineR]

Made contact with Northern Suburbs Crematorium and they have confirmed that the service took place. There is a memorial to George Joseph in their Book of Remembrance

I have requested a copy of this entry and asked if they have any other material relating to his funeral.

Will see what response I get.

Colin Rowledge

One thing I would like to do is find the crematorium and see what if anything they can provide me with. Is it still in business?

Colin
    With help from Jane in a private message, I have found some of the information about the place where Vera was cremated.

One item of interest that I cannot quite fathom is what happens to the ashes when they are taken by the funreal director? To my knowledge, there was no one in NZ related to Vera when she passed away.

Do they retain them for 'ever and a day'?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast