Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default James Brown bapt 1804 Glasgow

Hi, I am looking for info on James Brown son of Michael Brown who die in VIC Australia in 1869 aged 66. His parents are listed as Michael and mothers name unknown Boyd (but I think that this is wrong) I have found a Baptisim for James Brown on Scotlands People 22 feb 1804 and his parents are listed as Michael Inn-keeper and Martha Graham. I have James on the 1851 census at Newcastle on Tyne with his wife and family. I would like to find out more on his parents, Could anybody tell me if they are on the 1841 census?
    Michelle

birdlip

Hi there,

Family Search lists five older children (that I can find) baptised by Michael BROWN and Martha GRAHAM;

1792 Benjamin
    1794 Michael
    1796 Elizabeth
    1799 Jean
    1801 Thomas

Are any of those names used by James for his own children?

There is a couple listed as Michael BROWN and Jean BOYD baptising children at Ayr, but they are a generation earlier than Michael BROWN and Martha GRAHAM, though I notice Michael and Martha also baptise all their children at Ayr.

Ayr is not Glasgow, but then who in Australia would have heard of Ayr? I think its very plausible James would've said he was born near Glasgow. I also think it possible Michael BROWN and Jean BOYD were James's GRANDparents. Their youngest child baptised Michael in 1760 would be in the right age range to be James's father. Also Michael and Marthas second daughter is named Jean, which matches the traditional Scottish naming pattern, first daughter after the wifes mother, second after the husbands.

Where did the information come from that James's mothers name might have been BOYD?

The info about the mothers name being Boyd came from James's death certificate and the informant was his wife Hannah Sophia Spindler. James has a second name of Hugh. They didn't follow the naming pattern as it seems to me that most of their children had German names eg Juliana, Duncan, Adolphus, Christina, Hannah, Louis, George, Georgina, James Thomas the last three children were born here in Australia but the others were all born at Newcastle on Tyne. On the 1851 census James also said that he was born at Glasgow.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    They didn't follow the naming pattern
    How very inconsiderate of them!

Leaving that aside though, it seems to me Michael and Martha are still a plausible fit for James's parents. Did Michael leave a will?

There appears to be a Will for a Michael in 1836 but it says that he was a tailor and living at his sisters, where as the death cert of James says his father was a Grocer. The only birth for a James Brown between 1802 and 1805 with a father Michael is the one I have with Martha Graham.
    Thanks
    Michelle

birdlip

Probably best not to rule the will out though, people did change occupations.

Now what about this BOYD name? Death certificates are notoriously inaccurate of course, because the person who could have corrected the information is the deceased! Presumably James's wife didn't just pull the name out of nowhere though? I still think it possible Jean BOYD was James's grandmother. Had she heard the name when James spoke about his family, but just got the generation wrong?

I agree with you that Jean Boyd seems to be the grandmother rather than the mother. Could I please ask for a look up to see if Michael or Martha is on the 1841 census.

birdlip

Just a thought...the Michael BROWN whose will was proved in 1836....do you know how old he was, and do you have his sisters name?

Unfortunately I don't have a sub at the moment. Hopefully someone else reading this will have a look at the 1841 for you.

Hi I Have just been told that Martha Graham/Brown is on the 1851 census, she is a widow and a inkeeper in Aryshire and living with her is her son James is 45, so this can't been the right parents for our James as he was in Newcastle in 1851. So now we still have a brickwall for our James, any ideas as to where to look now?