Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nicolina

looking through the Service record, his place of attestation is given as "Isle of Weight" (sic) !!!!!!!!! on 23rd July 1813. He was aged 22.

njap53

Thank you all so much. Yes it all seems to make sense - on his death cert it says Chelsea Pensioner (I know that's a general military pension not the London hospital).

I'm currently away from home on a very erratic wireless signal so I'll have to wait until later to respond properly.

davidcarca

I don't think there's any doubt that his birthplace in 1851 is enumerated as Smedley, Beds

njap53

Thank you everyone. I guess that the Smedley/Sturtley/Streatley etc. issue will have to hang in the air. Maybe one day...

The military details do fit together very well - especially as it appears the 89th were in India then came to Devonport in 1831 and transferred to Cork in 1834. James and Hannah being married in Stoke Damorel (Devonport) in 1833 then Thirza being born in Cork in 1834. The scans of his discharge have the comment Exeter as well as that of going to Plymouth. So, Exeter in the 1841 census and Stoke D in 1841.

Thanks again, Nick

njap53

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Found a marriage for Eliza Gurney Dec 1860 5b 645 Stoke Damerel, Devon
    to either Joseph Jago or William John Roberts but haven't yet found to which one!
    It's William John Roberts

There's a discussion going on here:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...SANDO-in-Maker

Nick

carolm

Default James Gurney and his military service

Further to questions about James Gurney (husband of Hannah Holmes Searl) and his military service. I am a descendant of this family (through eldest daughter Thirza Gurney Craig) and have a copy of his discharge papers, from the PRO. There are more "possible" place names. His discharge gives the parish as Sturtley in or near the Town of (blank) in the county of Bedford. He enlisted at the isle of Wight, Co. Hants, as a private on July 23, 1913. His regiment went to India, and he was based for a time at Fort St. George, Madras.
    The regimental documents show a marriage there, in 1827, to a Johanna Silbey or Selby (widow). I did not find a death for her, but when the regiment returned to England, Gurney married Hannah Holmes Searl in St. Aubyn's Church, Devonport, in 1833. Thirza was born in Cork (Co.) Ireland, no baptismal details located.

I NEVER discovered his birthplace. Did try old maps. Also thought of family forenames in scanning records for his potential parents: (his children were: Thirza Ann, William, Emily, Eliza, James Joseph, Matthew Henry, Samuel Thomas, George.)
    Any further suggestions welcome.
    CarolM

njap53

Is there anyone on this thread or in the Bedfordshire group that would know how enough about 19C Bedfordshire dialect pronunciation to expand on the Smedley/Streatley/Sturtl(e)y debate?
    Thanks, Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12