Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The Probate found for Emma Cook* and the address Glasshouse Street belong to the Emma who is NOT the one we are looking for I think?
    Fair enough - I do need to get up to speed with the previous posts which I'll try and do tomorrow and contribute then if I discover anything relevant.

Do hurry up malcolm99, you've only got 3 pages to read and make your head spin!!

malcolm99

Just had a lovely relaxing bath (are men allowed those?!!) but it was sooooo good I think I'll spin to bed now - back to work tomorrow I promise!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I found Emma's brother George in the 1861 census. I was hoping that, maybe, Emma would show up as visiting there, but no such luck (checked all through to the 1911 census).

George Cook age 22 born 1839 agricultural labourer born South Searle Lincolnshire
    Sarah Cook wife age 26 born 1835 born Wellingore Lincolnshire
    Sarah Ann Cook age 1 born 1860 born Wellingore Lincolnshire
    Henry Cook son age 1 month born 1861 born South Searle Lincolnshire

Her brother Thomas moved to Yorkshire. I found him there, married, in the 1881 census. He was living with a nephew John H. Smith born 1862 Sheffield and a niece Kate E. Thompson born 1876 Sheffield.

alliecatx

hi t@nya ..esther died between 1851-1861 so it was before amy was born.(1866).could william(amy's dad) of had an affair with emma who was the servant and in williams death (1874)adopt amy ..my mother has confirmed there were musicians in the family ..thanx for ur time in helping me as im very new to this but for some reason my mother who is in her 80's has decided now that she would like to search her past as her mother died when she was 5yrs old,yet thanx to this site i managed to find her birth date ...alliecatx

Very possible. Did you see the newspaper entry that was posted by Coromandel? I've copy and pasted the post below.

William's wife Esther had died just a few days previously. The census was taken on 7 April 1861. The Nottinghamshire Guardian of Thursday 4 April 1861 published a report an inquest, held at the George & Dragon on the previous Thursday, into the death of 'Mrs. Esther Redgate, wife of Mr. William Redgate':

whilst washing herself, about eight o'clock on the night of Wednesday, suddenly sighed heavily, and immediately fell to the ground. She was promptly attended to by the servant and a woman named Woodhouse, who was present at the time, and Dr. Bourne was sent for, but before his arrival deceased had expired. She never spoke after falling to the floor. Mr. Bourne was of opinion that the cause of death was disease of the heart; the jury consequently returned a verdict of "Sudden Natural Death."

So, you have an exact date of death for Esther, 3 April 1861.

It makes sense that the widower William may have had an affair, what with losing his wife so suddenly.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    So, you have an exact date of death for Esther, 3 April 1861.
    Perhaps my post didn't make it clear: the newspaper (published Thursday 4 April) was referring to an inquest the previous Thursday, so Esther must have died 8 days before 4 April, which if my calculations are right would have been 27 March.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Perhaps my post didn't make it clear: the newspaper (published Thursday 4 April) was referring to an inquest the previous Thursday, so Esther must have died 8 days before 4 April, which if my calculations are right would have been 27 March.
    Ah, right, I didn't get that. Thanks. I am duly corrected: she would have died around 27 March 1861.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I am related to William/William Henry Theaker

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789