Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Received the marriage info, but there is no entry for Thomas' father. It's possible that because his family died when he was so young, that he never used his father's name for documents, since he was long dead.

Would some kind soul please see if there is a birth or christening record in Salibury for 1839-40 for Thomas Ray? I suspect his father's name was Robert, but that's just an educated guess. I also suspect he had a brother Joseph, but again...

Most of the relatives were at St Edmunds, not St Thomas'...

Debbie

maufe2

I have just started to research my wifes family tree. It seems that you have the same relatives in Salisbury Wilts England.
    We have birth certificates prior to these dates whihc makes it very clear but it is very vague after this date. Some dates don't seem to tie up, i.e. long spans between births making fathers quite old.
    So far I have Thomas Ray b about 1840 married Mary Ann Elizabeth Smith from Cambridgshire. Thomas Ray father is I can see is William ray and Mother Maria. William Ray is very elusive and hard to confirm some dates. William Rays' father is Frances Robert ray b 1746. This could be wrong. One thing I have found is that there are so many Rays with the same name about at the same time. In the 1851 census records there were 290 William Rays.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by maufe2 View Post
    I have just started to research my wifes family tree. It seems that you have the same relatives in Salisbury Wilts England.
    We have birth certificates prior to these dates whihc makes it very clear but it is very vague after this date. Some dates don't seem to tie up, i.e. long spans between births making fathers quite old.
    So far I have Thomas Ray b about 1840 married Mary Ann Elizabeth Smith from Cambridgshire. Thomas Ray father is I can see is William ray and Mother Maria. William Ray is very elusive and hard to confirm some dates. William Rays' father is Frances Robert ray b 1746. This could be wrong. One thing I have found is that there are so many Rays with the same name about at the same time. In the 1851 census records there were 290 William Rays.
    William and Maria were Thomas' great-uncle and great-aunt (according to the 1851 census, which lists Thomas as William's nephew). Which means either Ellen was their niece and she was unmarried, or she HAD been married to William and Maria's nephew, but her husband died after Thomas was concieved but before the 1841 census. There seems to be no record of a marriage for Ellen to a man with the last name of Ray, but an Ellen Ray WAS born to Francis Robert Ray (Jr.) and his wife Helen (Ellen) on 18 Mar 1813 and christened on 11 Apr 1813 in St. Edmunds, Salisbury. William's parents were Francis Robert Ray (Sr.) and his wife Susanna Lester, and William was born on 15 July 1782 in Salisbury. I tend to believe Ellen was an unmarried Ray who lived with her uncle and aunt from around the time of her son's birth until her death.

So, which child of Thomas' is your wife descended from? Arthur Albert's descendants are mostly in Australia, Alexander is my line (and we're all in the US and Canada), and Robert had no children that I know of, which leaves Ellen Annie (Ray) Chapman, Tom Ray (who married Miriam Hephzibah Bunyan), or John Laxon Ray (who married Louisa Emily Turner). John and his wife had 5 children that I know of, Ellen and her husband also had 5 that I know of, and Tom and his wife only had one, who I thought had died young, as she wasn't with her parents in the 1911 census. My guess would be John...

maufe2

Default Re Thomas Ray and william Ray

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn View Post
    William and Maria were Thomas' great-uncle and great-aunt (according to the 1851 census, which lists Thomas as William's nephew). Which means either Ellen was their niece and she was unmarried, or she HAD been married to William and Maria's nephew, but her husband died after Thomas was concieved but before the 1841 census. There seems to be no record of a marriage for Ellen to a man with the last name of Ray, but an Ellen Ray WAS born to Francis Robert Ray (Jr.) and his wife Helen (Ellen) on 18 Mar 1813 and christened on 11 Apr 1813 in St. Edmunds, Salisbury. William's parents were Francis Robert Ray (Sr.) and his wife Susanna Lester, and William was born on 15 July 1782 in Salisbury. I tend to believe Ellen was an unmarried Ray who lived with her uncle and aunt from around the time of her son's birth until her death.

So, which child of Thomas' is your wife descended from? Arthur Albert's descendants are mostly in Australia, Alexander is my line (and we're all in the US and Canada), and Robert had no children that I know of, which leaves Ellen Annie (Ray) Chapman, Tom Ray (who married Miriam Hephzibah Bunyan), or John Laxon Ray (who married Louisa Emily Turner). John and his wife had 5 children that I know of, Ellen and her husband also had 5 that I know of, and Tom and his wife only had one, who I thought had died young, as she wasn't with her parents in the 1911 census. My guess would be John...
    I have only been chasing up my Wifes family tree for a few weeks and I am still trying to unravel the names and relationships. One thing that no one was aware of is the migration to the US, Canada and Australia. My wifes uncles moved to Australia and New Zealand in the 50s. I will have to have a good look through the tree I have so far and add the information you have supplied, thanks very much.

birdlip

Received the marriage info, but there is no entry for Thomas' father. It's possible that because his family died when he was so young, that he never used his father's name for documents, since he was long dead.

Would some kind soul please see if there is a birth or christening record in Salibury for 1839-40 for Thomas Ray? I suspect his father's name was Robert, but that's just an educated guess. I also suspect he had a brother Joseph, but again...

Most of the relatives were at St Edmunds, not St Thomas'...

Debbie
    Hi Debbie,

Family Search has this;

Thomas RAY b 02 May 1840, bap 03 Jun 1840 St Edmunds, Salisbury Parents Ellen RAY

birdlip

and then on freebmd;

Deaths Ellen RAY Dec qu 1844 Salisbury 8 287

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Hi Debbie,

Family Search has this;

Thomas RAY b 02 May 1840, bap 03 Jun 1840 St Edmunds, Salisbury Parents Ellen RAY
    Thank you so much!!!!! I was missing this! ~Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by maufe2
    I have only been chasing up my Wifes family tree for a few weeks and I am still trying to unravel the names and relationships. One thing that no one was aware of is the migration to the US, Canada and Australia. My wifes uncles moved to Australia and New Zealand in the 50s. I will have to have a good look through the tree I have so far and add the information you have supplied, thanks very much.
    Yes, but WHICH Ray is your wife descended from??

maufe2

Yes, but WHICH Ray is your wife descended from??
    My wife is descended from John Laxon. I have the family tree from William Ray who seems to be an anomally. I have compiled the family tree before William using Frances Ray as his father. What I find interesting is that some Rays have been hairdressers and my daughter has decided to take up this profession when she leaves school. I see that somebody else thinks the profession of Thomas ray was a Clicken. We have a birth certificate which seems to say this but looking in the dictionary there is the term Clicker which was a Foreman in a shoe factory. Last night I found that Robert Ray who served in the Royal Artillery and was listed in the 1901 census as being in India but was also recorded in 1902 as being in the Imperial Yeomanry. The Imperial Yeomanry was set up to serve in the Boer War.. In 1908 the Yeomanry was disbanded.

Quote Originally Posted by maufe2 View Post
    My wife is descended from John Laxon. I have the family tree from William Ray who seems to be an anomally. I have compiled the family tree before William using Frances Ray as his father. What I find interesting is that some Rays have been hairdressers and my daughter has decided to take up this profession when she leaves school. I see that somebody else thinks the profession of Thomas ray was a Clicken. We have a birth certificate which seems to say this but looking in the dictionary there is the term Clicker which was a Foreman in a shoe factory. Last night I found that Robert Ray who served in the Royal Artillery and was listed in the 1901 census as being in India but was also recorded in 1902 as being in the Imperial Yeomanry. The Imperial Yeomanry was set up to serve in the Boer War.. In 1908 the Yeomanry was disbanded.
    Thomas was a shoemaker, yes. I have copies of that Robert's service records. My father (whose father was Alexander - the youngest son of Thomas - known as Al Tsar Ray, was named for his Uncle Robert, who eventually left the military and moved to Ohio where he died in the 1930's, after marrying a widow with children of her own. My father's brother was named after his father's brother John Laxon Ray - I keep in touch with my cousin Philip, his youngest son. I also keep in touch with one of Arthur Albert's descendants in Australia. Feel free to private message me here - I'd love to fill in the blanks in your wife's line! BTW, the Laxon name comes from Thomas' wife's line. Her name was Mary Ann Elizabeth Smith - her father was a solicitor in Wittlesey, Cambridgeshire named Simon Smith...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast