Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPBeds

Default Diary of Benjamin Rogers

8th May 1732 " My Dear Mother died of a dropsical gout in the 75th year of her age, & was buried in my father's grave who died August 1708". 10th May "She is buried"

As per the NBI; Thomas Rogers was buried at Bedford St Paul on 18/08/1708 & Sarah Negus buried on 10/05/1732.

Between 8th & 10th May the diary has Benjamin's thoughts of his mother's will made in 1729. Beds Archives has it Sarah Negus, Bedford, Widow ref 1732/25

"Secondly ... The 20 li which she left me was my own, for my Grandmother Gurrey in her will left me 20 li "

There is an entry that says " a strange thing that was done lately at Bolnhurst, on 5th of this month(May) that my cousin Gurrey's shepherd being...."

So it looks likely that Sarah Gerree was Thomas's wife & perhaps from Bolnhurst...Is grandmother Gurrey the Mary Gurrey widow will ref 1708/15

davidcarca

That seems to sew it all together very nicely John.

snowgarth

Default I must apologise

I originally started the thread about Thomas Rogers but don't remember ever saying Thank you for all of this information. I am not even sure that I read it at the time. Anyway, I would now like to thank you and all of the other respondees. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarca View Post
    It’s taken me longer than I thought, sorting the wheat from the chaff on the IGI.

Going back to basics, we know from his diaries published by Beds HRS that Benjamin Rogers was Rector of Carlton from 1720-1771. Does he mention in the diaries that his father was Thomas, an innkeeper, 1653-1708? If not where does this information come from? (later - see below for documents held at Bedford Archives)

Benjamin and Jane baptised a number of children in Carlton between 1721 and 1728. A Jane Rogers was buried at Carlton on 27 Aug 1742 and Benjamin on 15 Sep 1771

Before taking up his post in Carlton, Benjamin appears to have lived in Bedford St Paul, where there are three baptisms of children of Benjamin and Jane between 1712 and 1718.

Despite what member submissions show on the IGI it doesn’t appear as though Benjamin and Jane married in Carlton, but rather at Shillington, 13 miles from Bedford in the opposite direction from Carlton, on 13 Nov 1709, where she is shown as Jane Hothers(h)all in an entry extracted from the parish register. You need to check Shillington parish register to see if the marriage entry contains any additional information – pre 1754 you’re unlikely to get anything more than the two names, but you might get lucky and the entry says Benjamin of Bedford St Paul.

On the assumption that Benjamin’s father really was Thomas, there’s a baptism at Bedford St Paul of Benjamin Rogers, son of Thomas Rogers, on 17 Oct 1686, which fits.

We run into problems with Thomas though, as there were two who were buried at around the right time: on 6 Apr 1706 at Keysoe, and on 18 Aug 1708 at Bedford St Paul. If the dates in your subject line are correct then the St Paul burial looks to be the right one.

A Thomas Rogers married Sarah Gerree at Keysoe on 25 Sept 1679. Is this the Thomas who was buried in Keysoe? If so it doesn’t seem as though they were the parents of Benjamin. But there was an earlier marriage in Keysoe, of Thomas Rogers and Hannah Cannon, on 26 Sept 1669. Could Thomas have been a widower in the 1679 marriage. Or were these two separate Thomas’s? There’s only one burial of a Thomas in Keysoe – the one inn 1706, and the only Hannah was in 1727. And there’s no Sarah burial at all in Keysoe, nor in any of the Bedford parishes. So all very inconclusive. (later - if they were two distinct couples the Keysoe Thomas burial might have been the 1669 marriage, with the Hannah 1727 burial his widow, and the 1679 marriage being Thomas from Bedford St Paul, where they lived subsequent to their marriage. All speculation! Needs reference to Keysoe parish register)

There are baptisms of Thomas Rogers:
    18 Oct 1662 at Carlton, son of Thomas
    15 Jul 1653 at Bedford St Paul, son of Benjamin. This fits with the date you have for his birth, but it depends on the source of that date. And naming his son Benjamin is also circumstantial evidence.

Bedford Archives holds administration documents for Benjamin Rogers, innholder, ref AR1688:1/31d, and the will of Thomas Rogers, yeoman, ref 1708/17. I would be tempted to purchase copies of both of these. When you’re stuck wills can often be invaluable.

In fact there’s a précis of Thomas Rogers’ will on the BLARS website at https://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/...iref=110232242
    Ref BorBE11/2/3 dated 10 Aug 1708, proved 20 Oct 1708
    Will with probate annexed of Thomas Rogers of Bedford, yeoman. To wife Sarah for life, messuage or tenement called the Black Spread Eagle in Bedford St Paul, in my own occupation; and my messuage or tenement in Bedford St Cuthbert now in occupation of Samuel Lane, pipemaker. After death of wife, both to go to son Benjamin Rogers. To wife and to daughter Sarah Rogers, all goods and personal estate to be divided between them after payment of debts. Wife executrix.

Whether his wife Sarah is Sarah Gerree remains to be proved. There’s the baptism of a Sarah Rogers on 29 May 1694 at Bedford St Paul, daughter of Thomas and Sarah. You need to check Keysoe parish register to see if the entries contain any further detail.

Another document at https://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/...iref=110232250
    Assignment of mortgage: (1) John Faldo of Bedford St Mary, tanner (2) Robert Negus, late of Biddenham now of Bedford, yeoman, and wife Sarah, late wife of Thomas Rogers, then of Bedford St Paul's, victualler, deceased. Only son and heir of Benjamin Rogers, late of Bedford, innholder, deceased. Benjamin Rogers, only son and heir and devisee in reversion of Thomas Rogers. (3) Nicholas Aspinal of Bedford, clerk. Reciting mortgage [BorBE 11/2/2] and that neither capital nor interest has been paid. Assignment by (1) to (3) of mortgaged premises for remainder of term in consideration of £60 from (3) and the interest from (2). Witnesses: Thomas Chaplin, Benjamin Chesterton, Philip Gains
    Date 25 March 1710/11

So after the 1708 death of Thomas Rogers, his widow Sarah remarried Robert Negus (which might explain why above I couldn't find the burial of a Sarah Rogers), and to definitively provide the link to Benjamin rector of Carlton is
    https://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/...iref=110232269
    Bond of Sarah Negus of Bedford, widow, and Benjamin Rogers of Carlton, clerk, to Randall Tayler of Bedford, gentleman, in penal sum of £120 to keep covenants in deed of same date between: (1) Priscilla Whaley of Wood Pumton, Lancester (2) Sarah Negus and Benjamin Rogers (3) Randall Taylor. Witnesses: Peter Haselwood, John Peplatt
    Date 10 April 1729

There are numerous documents about this family, held at Bedford Archives, listed at https://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/...spx?gotopage=3

Hope this helps

David

Sorry, the links don't work. Go to https://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/search.aspx and in the Name line put in Rogers, Benjamin (the comma is important!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12