Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    petraroe

Default Ernest John Smith

Hi
    I am hoping someone can help me. I have been researching my family tree on and off for a couple of years. I have got on ok with my dads side with a few hiccups but my maternal grandfather side is proving to be a nightmare.

I have got stuck at my great grandfather.

His name is Ernest John Smith Born 1875 and died in 1950. He appears to have lived most of his life in Horsham Sussex.
    In 1910 he married Julia Gander and had 5 children that I know of my Grandfather William Ernest, and his siblings Agnes, Florence, Alfred and John. (although it appears there may have been a 6th that died in infancy called Annie)

He had two children from a previous marriage but I have no idea what the wifes name was and what happened to her (I assume she died as divorce was not so common back then but who knows) They had two girls who we believe were named Rose and Ethel.

The problem now comes from the fact I cannot find anything else about him. I have no idea what his parents were called, I cannot find him on census records as I only assume he lived in Sussex his whole life.

Can anyone shed some light on Ernest John Smith for me? Any help or suggestions gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
    Petra

malcolm99

Hello Petra,

I 'm supposing this is EJS in the GRO index - Ernest John Smith born Horsham Registration District. December Quarter 1875

Ernest John Smith – this appears to be him in the 1881 census:

1881 Census: RG11 Piece 1110 Folio 25 Page 3

Address: Barnes Green Gates, Itchingfield

Robert Smith, Head, 42, occupation – platelayer. Born Scotland
    Charlotte Smith, wife, 34. Born Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Robert S(?) Smith, son, 12, scholar. Born Heyshot, Sussex
    Peter Mc [some other initial] Smith, son, 10, scholar. Born Heyshott, Sussex
    Ernest J Smith, son, 5, scholar. Born Itchingfield, Sussex

I think I have him on the censuses up to 1911 which I’ll post in a wee while to save anyone else's fingers - then you can tear me apart for having made a mistake!

(Records in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

petraroe

Thank you so much, that could very well be him as I know that the family traces back to Scotland but I never knew how far back.

Apparently the name used to be McKinnon Smith but my Nan always joked that my great-great grandfather (or something like that) dropped the McKinnon as he couldn't spell it. Hopefully somewhere in Roberts history I will find the McKinnons.

Again thank you for your help, I will let you know how it pans out.

malcolm99

The continuing story. Elizabeth (born Brighton - 1901 census) appears to be the first of Ernest's wives if anyone wants to investigate...

1891 Census: RG12 Piece 830 Folio 23 Page 4
    Address: Gate House, Itchingfield
    Robert Smith, Head, 53, occupation – Railway Platelayer, Ganger. Born Scotland
    Charlotte Smith, wife, 44. Born Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Ernest J Smith, son, 15, Agricultural Labourer. Born Itchingfield, Sussex
    May [possibly Mary] E. Smith, daughter, 6. Born Itchingfield, Sussex
    Fred Smith, son, 4. Born Itchingfield, Sussex

1901 Census: RG13 Piece 5337 Folio 38 Page 22
    Address: Wilsons(?) Farm, Lyminster [Near Littlehampton], Sussex
    Ernest J Smith, Head, 25, Railway Platelayer.Born Barns Green, Sussex
    Elizabeth Smith, wife, 23. Born Brighton,Sussex
    Elizabeth M Smith, daughter, 3. Born Lyminster, Sussex
    Ethel A(?) Smith, daughter, age 1. Born Lyminster, Sussex

(Records in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

malcolm99

Hello again Petra,

Do you have access to an online census?

malcolm99

1911 Census: RG14 Piece 5281 Schedule No. 212

Address: 4, Duncams [sic] Copse Cottages, Barns Green

Ernest John Smith, age 35, has had 4 children born to him all of whom are living – none of the children were born when he was married to his current wife. Occupation – Carter working for a builder. Born Itchingfield, Sussex
    Julia Smith, wife, 24. Has been married 1 year. Born Lewes, Sussex.
    Edith Rose Smith, daughter, 8. Born: Warning Camp, Sussex

N.B. Barns Green is just over a mile south of Itchingfield.

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    1901 Census:

Ernest J Smith, Head, 25, Railway Platelayer.Born Barns Green, Sussex
    Elizabeth Smith, wife, 23. Born Brighton,Sussex
    Elizabeth M Smith, daughter, 3. Born Lyminster, Sussex
    Ethel A(?) Smith, daughter, age 1. Born Lyminster, Sussex
    So Ernest marries Elizabeth MOBSBY in Brighton in September Quarter 1896 according to the GRO indexes.

petraroe

Thank you so much for that. The only access I have to census etc is through the Ancestry website.

malcolm99

If you go to the 1871 Census page on Ancestry and just enter ALICE MITCHALL you should get a nice surprise – not least because of young Peter aged 1 month!

petraroe

Thank you again, following your information this evening I found Peter and realised I was indeed on the right track with the middle name McKinnon.
    My Grandfathers brother John also had McKinnon as a middle name so the family obviously didn't abandon the name entirely. And now I have the link to Scotland through Robert. You have managed to knock a hole in the brick wall I can now see through, you are a star. xx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast