Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    malcolm99

Just a thought before I forget....

Possibly a red herring, but when you’ve saved up your pennies you could do worse than check the Scotlands People website (scotlandspeople.gov.uk/) and check out the 1851 Census where a Robert Smith age 13 living with his grandfather Peter McKinnon in Daviot, Inverness.

Edit: (and looking at the 1841 census I wouldn't be surprised if Margaret is not so much a cousin as Robert's mother! - but do remember this is all highly speculative at the moment).
    Last edited by malcolm99; 02-11-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: extra speculation added

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Ernest marries Elizabeth MOBSBY in Brighton in September Quarter 1896
    Don't forget to search for Elizabeth Mobsby on the Sussex OPC website.
    https://www.
    sussex-opc.org/index.php?no=1

petraroe

Hi Malcolm

Thank you for all your help, I just thought I would let you know that not only have I managed to find proof of some of you information being linked to my family tree (the rest I am still researching) but I have also found a gentleman on Ancestry who is researching the same family tree.

He is the grandson of one of Ernest Smith & the above mentioned Elizabeth Mosby, so we share a great grandfather. We have been messaging each other and I am learning more about that side of my family.

So thank you for helping me get to that point

Petra

malcolm99

I'm very pleased you're making good progress on your tree - I'm glad to have helped you along the way.

GBateman

Default Ernest John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by petraroe View Post
    Hi
    I am hoping someone can help me. I have been researching my family tree on and off for a couple of years. I have got on ok with my dads side with a few hiccups but my maternal grandfather side is proving to be a nightmare.

I have got stuck at my great grandfather.

His name is Ernest John Smith Born 1875 and died in 1950. He appears to have lived most of his life in Horsham Sussex.
    In 1910 he married Julia Gander and had 5 children that I know of my Grandfather William Ernest, and his siblings Agnes, Florence, Alfred and John. (although it appears there may have been a 6th that died in infancy called Annie)

He had two children from a previous marriage but I have no idea what the wifes name was and what happened to her (I assume she died as divorce was not so common back then but who knows) They had two girls who we believe were named Rose and Ethel.

The problem now comes from the fact I cannot find anything else about him. I have no idea what his parents were called, I cannot find him on census records as I only assume he lived in Sussex his whole life.

Can anyone shed some light on Ernest John Smith for me? Any help or suggestions gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
    Petra
    His daughter Agnes D Smith I believe married Richard Stanley Beal-they were my great grandparents! Ive found this thread very helpful.

steveh37

Annie J Smith Born Horsham March 1912 Vol 2b page 243 Mothers Maiden name Gander.

If you go to freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and type in the search box Surname Smith mothers name Gander put in a date range Sept 1911 to 1925 and select Births Then select Horsham in the District list of places you'll find all 6 listed there.

steveh37
    Last edited by steveh37; 24-01-2013 at 3:43 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

petraroe

Quote Originally Posted by GBateman View Post
    His daughter Agnes D Smith I believe married Richard Stanley Beal-they were my great grandparents! Ive found this thread very helpful.
    Agnes did indeed marry Richard Beal. They were my great Aunt & Uncle (known to us as Aunt Chubby & Uncle Dick) I never knew Dick but I do vaguely remember Chubby from when I was a kid. I went up to the horsham area at Christmas with my sister to visit their grave and the grave of Ernest & Julia to lay flowers. My Grandad tries to go up every year to do it but he is 95 now so Tara and I went for him in case he wasn't well enough to.

If Agnes & Richard were your great grandparents which of their children is your grandparent? I can only remember Bridgets name at the moment. I know there was at least one other daughter who's name now totally escapes me. If I can help with any information let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

Petra

GBateman

Smile grandparents

My grandad is Anthony Richard Beal and my nan is Julia.
    There is another sister, Janet. My grandparents had my mum Amanda, my aunty Helen and my uncle Andrew. I've had my grandad's help on the family tree so when I saw this thread, I had to reread it! That would make you a cousin right?
    Anthhony (or Tony as he is otherwise known) is the eldest. If you don't mind me asking, what is your grandad's name? Would love to tell my grandad!
    I have to admit, I know almost nothing about the great grandparents as my grandad although giving me names has never really spoken about his family. Most of what I've found out has been via the internet.

GBateman

It's worth pointing out at this point that I have found Ernest Smith's father's name-Robert L Smith. Ernest's mother was Charlotte Langley. Robert Smith was born in Scotland-this is something that I have found interesting as my nan always spoke about how through my grandad we came from the mckinnon clan-something backed up by the fact that one of Ernest's brothers was called Peter Mckinnon Smith.

petraroe

Quote Originally Posted by GBateman View Post
    My grandad is Anthony Richard Beal and my nan is Julia.
    There is another sister, Janet. My grandparents had my mum Amanda, my aunty Helen and my uncle Andrew. I've had my grandad's help on the family tree so when I saw this thread, I had to reread it! That would make you a cousin right?
    Anthhony (or Tony as he is otherwise known) is the eldest. If you don't mind me asking, what is your grandad's name? Would love to tell my grandad!
    I have to admit, I know almost nothing about the great grandparents as my grandad although giving me names has never really spoken about his family. Most of what I've found out has been via the internet.
    So you are Tonys grandson / daughter (sorry haven't figured it out from your user name) I don't really remember Bridget, Janet or Tony although my mum does. My grandad is William Ernest Smith, and my nan was Elizabeth Mary Veck. Your grandad would have known them us Uncle Bill and Auntie Betty.

The family does hark back to Scotland, the Isle of Sky to be precise (or so Nan told me) One of my grandads and Agnes brothers John also had McKinnon as a middle name. He was killed in the war and has a war grave in Italy. His name is on Ernest and Julias grave in Horsham.

I am sure there is a correct term for our relationship (probably third cousins twice removed or something) I will have a trawl through my family stuff, I have a feeling i have some photos somewhere of your side of the family that you may be interested in.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 29-01-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Details of living people removed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast