DaveinInskip

Default Alternatives to winreg

Hello Scribes,this makes a change from Latin translations,my Winreg has kicked the bucket,cocked it's clogs,call it what you will,I left it for a week or so to carry my tree a bit further back and when I tried to access the programme the other day i got the picture of the church,a "doeing" from the speakers and a message,"Configuration system failed to initialise". I removed the programme from the computer (Vista),and reloaded from the website,to no effect.I have had a message on the Computer problems part of this forum for three days now 69 veiwers but no suggestions.

My question now is what other ways can i carry on transcribing and uploading,(would Open Office speadsheet be any use?),if any one has any help on these lines I would be interested,otherwise it's good-bye Freereg,and on to pastures new.

Bye for now
    Dave in Inskip.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

What a good reason to go to one of the many 'pastures new' & experience different transcribing venues.
    Then again if you're happy there email persons in charge of said Freereg.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    Hello Scribes,this makes a change from Latin translations,my Winreg has kicked the bucket,cocked it's clogs,call it what you will,I left it for a week or so to carry my tree a bit further back and when I tried to access the programme the other day i got the picture of the church,a "doeing" from the speakers and a message,"Configuration system failed to initialise". I removed the programme from the computer (Vista),and reloaded from the website,to no effect.I have had a message on the Computer problems part of this forum for three days now 69 veiwers but no suggestions.
    I don't frequent the Computer Problems part of the forum, hence, I did not find out about your problem until today.

When you have problems, you really should contact me directly with as many details about the problem (including screen shots) as you can provide and exemplar files if applicable.

I have no ideas regarding the message to seem to have received. Sounds more like either a Windows or .NET message rather than directly coming from WinREG. Had any machine crashes recently? Power outages? Installed any new software recently? Lots of things might cause your problem, but until I see more definite evidence, I can do nothing.

manicmongrel

Hi Dave

Have you tried GenScriber it even has templates for FreeReg file transcription templates. Its a Freeware program and can be found on the internet. Here www.
    genscriber.com.

regards
    Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post

My question now is what other ways can i carry on transcribing and uploading,(would Open Office speadsheet be any use?),if any one has any help on these lines I would be interested,otherwise it's good-bye Freereg,and on to pastures new.

Bye for now
    Dave in Inskip.

DaveinInskip

Thanks Keith for your help on this,i've downloaded Genscribe and am just looking over it and trying to work out some of its' differences,I have Mike Fry on the Winreg case at the moment so I'll give him time to come back to me before I make any decisions.

Bye for now
    Dave in Inskip

DaveinInskip

To Mike Fry and Keith (manicmogrel),greetings,

Keith regarding the proramme you suggested I downloaded and tried it but after only a few entries i was getting slower and slower as i tried to reach the end of the line,it gave me a fealing of foreboding as to whether i was going to get to the end of my 500 entries.

I have become so used to the gay (used in it's original form)colours and the way I can juggle the columns about,that the other programme was a shock to the system,but thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Mike,I have now wiped my system and re-installed Vista,have downloaded Winreg and it's working fine,so i think that was the best way out for me.

thanks to you both and best wishes

Dave in Inskip