Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    monicaj

Default Montgomeryshire Parish Records

Hi All

Bit of a newbie question..........

I have been trying to find Montgomeryshire Parish Records online to enable me to find older generations. Having visited the Montgomery Genalogical Society Website, it appears that many on the records are on findmypast. I'm just wondering if it's worth subscribing? I've tried to Navigate around the site to see exactly what is available and on the surface many of the Parishes are covered - just wondering if anyone has any experience of this site for the above. Also, another newbie question, am I correct in saying that these records would not include non-conformist chapels?

Help and advice much appreciated

Famous for offering help & advice

I have an ancestor from Leeds who went to Tregynon for a few years as a schoolmaster, and during his time there had two children baptised, one of whom was also buried. The transcriptions at Find My Past seem to be a full copy of the entries in the parish registers. From a very quick look, it appears to me that the data is only from Church in Wales parishes, not any of the non-conformist chapels, but to get a definitive answer you might need to ask either Find My Past or the society that provided the transcripts.

With sites like this, subscriptions can be quite expensive and often non-refundable, so it's usually preferable to give it a try with pay-as-you-go units before deciding if you need one. You're going to have to spend some money, though, as the terms and conditions at Find My Past prohibit subscribers from doing look-ups for others.

Arthur

pippycat

I have a few non-conformist baptisms for Llandinam and llanidloes, Montgomery (1811-1837). If you want to list some names/dates I can check the ones I have for you.

Reputation beyond repute

am I correct in saying that these records would not include non-conformist chapels?
    Correct. If they are described as parish registers you can assume that that's what they are. Many non-conformist registers were handed over to the Registrar General in the early days of civil registration and thence made their way to the National Archives. See this Research Guide

These non-parochial records are now available online at the bmdregisters site.

Hollytree

Your other alternative is to make a trip to the National Library of Wales if possible. Aberstwyth (I can never spell it right!) is quite a nice sea side to visit as well. But the NLW does have the film of non conformist registers there, and there Gwynnes Marriage Index too there, free to browse.

Anne

monicaj

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I With sites like this, subscriptions can be quite expensive and often non-refundable, so it's usually preferable to give it a try with pay-as-you-go units before deciding if you need one. You're going to have to spend some money, though, as the terms and conditions at Find My Past prohibit subscribers from doing look-ups for others.

Arthur
    Thanks Arthur, I thought as much, I've mailed FMP enquiring about the Non Conformist establishments before I "jump in".

monicaj

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    I have a few non-conformist baptisms for Llandinam and llanidloes, Montgomery (1811-1837). If you want to list some names/dates I can check the ones I have for you.
    Thank you so much for your kind offer - most of mine are around Trefeglwys and Llangurig, but I will bear this in mind - Thanks again

monicaj

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Correct. If they are described as parish registers you can assume that that's what they are. Many non-conformist registers were handed over to the Registrar General in the early days of civil registration and thence made their way to the National Archives. See this Research Guide

These non-parochial records are now available online at the bmdregisters site.
    Thank you so much for that useful link and information - it's all becoming a bit clearer now, lots of information available at a COST ;-(

monicaj

Quote Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
    Your other alternative is to make a trip to the National Library of Wales if possible. Aberstwyth (I can never spell it right!) is quite a nice sea side to visit as well. But the NLW does have the film of non conformist registers there, and there Gwynnes Marriage Index too there, free to browse.

Anne
    Aberystwyth is very familiar to me and not too far away - I just need to set some very clear objectives before I visit, as I tend to get very distracted with all this research - Thanks Anne

Reputation beyond repute

lots of information available at a COST
    They are absolutely free if you care to go to the National Archives. What you're paying for is the convenience of being able to view the records from home. I think you'd probably have to pay to look at quite a lot of online non-conformist records to match the cost of travelling to Kew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast