Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hilda Woodley

Default Registry Office Marriages - earliest date

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please tell me the approximate date when Registry Office, (or should that be Register Office?) marriages first came into use in UK.
    Hilda

Procat

Hi Hilda,

1 July 1837 - though in the early years not everyone complied.

Hilda Woodley

Hi Procat,

Thank you for responding but I think you have given me the date of official registration of all BMD's and I am not sure that is the answer I am looking for - what I mean is a couple not marrying in a church but going to a Registry Office and being married by a person other than the clergy. Does my explanation help - sorry I don't know how else to describe what I want to know.
    Regards
    Hilda

Procat

Hi Hilda,

Sorry, I had misinterpreted you question.

However, according to Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber between 1754 and 1837 marriages had to take place in a parish church of the Church of England in order to be valid (with exceptions for Quaker or Jewish marriages). The Acts of Parliament of 1836 and 1837 that established the Civil Registration system also provided that marriages would be valid if they took place in a civil registry office or in the presence of a civil registrar (or, from 1898, certain authorised persons) in buildings used for Roman Catholic or non-conformist worship and registered for the celebration of marriages.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

Hilda Woodley

Hi Procat, exactly what I needed to know, wow as early as 1867 that was a surprise. The 1898 date seems to fit in with my lot who almost exclusively married in Registry Offices from the early 1900's and I just wanted to know when this alternative marriage became an option for couples. A million thanks for your help.
    Tons of luv
    Hilda

Colin Moretti

Herlo Hilda

I can confirm that; I have what must be one of the earliest, the marriage of my 2x great aunt, Jane MORETTI.

GRO reference: 1837, December quarter, St Martin in the Fields, volume 1, page 157

1837, in the Register Office of St Martin in the Field, Middlesex
    no 3, Oct 17 1837,
    Thomas BLOUNT, full age, Bachelor, Yeoman, 30 Leicester Square, father: Charles Blount, Watch Maker
    Jane MORETTI, full age, spinster, , 30 Leicester Square, father: Joseph Moretti, Gentleman
    Married in the register office according to the rites and ceremonies of the parties
    Witnesses C J Pagliano, D Dragonetti, C Blount

There were obviously two previously that quarter and, we may reasonably assume, some in the September quarter 1837.

It did not surprise me that this couple married in the register office as they were Roman Catholic, consequently they also went through a ceremony in the Roman Catholic Sardinian Embassy Chapel, Lincolns Inn Field (later Ss Anselm and Cecilia), on the same day.

30 Leicester Square was the Sabloniere Hotel, one of the best in London, which was owned by one of the witnesses, C J (Charles) PAGLIANO, cousin of the bride; D[omenico] DRAGONETTI was a long-term resident of the hotel and renowned throughout Europe as a virtuoso double-bassist.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Aw Colin
    I got excited as I had a register office wedding 31 Jan 1842, it took place in The Register Office Langport, Somerset. I have no idea why they choose the Register office. cheaper maybe?
    ELMA

Knowledgeable and helpful

Although 1837 was the first year of the new form of civil registration it was not the first year of civil registration in England & Wales, that began in the 17th century.

The Commonwealth directed “parish registers” to be appointed 22 September 1653.

“…that a true and just account might always be kept, of all marriages, and also of the births of children, and deaths of all sorts of persons within the commonwealth;”

Civil marriage was instituted 29 September 1654

Civil Marriages legalised by an Act of 12 Car. II, c. 33, in 1660.
    ”Marriages by Justices since the 1st May, 1642, or Marriages performed according to the Direction or true intent of any Act or Ordinance or reputed Act or Ordinance of one or both Houses of Parliament, or of any Convention sitting at Westminster, under the same style, or title of Parliament.”

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Procat

Thanks Guy.

Hilda Woodley

Thank you to everyone who contributed such amazing information
    Luv Hilda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast