Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chesil

Wink Hines in Suffolk

Looking for information on Hines who were Cordwainers/Shoe Makers in Suffolk circa 1750 - 1850.

It would appear they worked in the Bramford area until the early 1800s after which they appear in Stutton and Holbrook.

Regards

David

chesil

Hello,

Further to my first message. Owen Hines 1800 -1845 Bramford / Stutton and John Hines 1830 - 1870 Holbrook. Hope this helps.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    How sure are you about those dates, David? I can't find Owen in 1841 or John in 1841/51/61 with those birth dates. I did however find an Owen Hines, shemaker in 1841 who was born abt.1786
    Could it be this Owen...

1841: Piece 1043; Book: 14; Folio: 43; Page: 2; Line: 5 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    St Matthew, Ipswich
    WILSON Robert 60
    WILSON Christiana 50
    WILSON Rhea 15
    /
    HINES, Owen 30, blacksmith
    HINES, Mary 25
    HINES, Robert 5
    All born in the county

In the later census, this Owen was born abt 1804 in Bramford, but born 1810 in one census. He's not a shoemaker mind, but I wonder if he is a son of the elder Owen HINES (the shoemaker.)

chesil

Hello,

Owen Hines was born circa 1786 in Bramford. Moved to Stutton circa 1815. Died 1846 Stutton
    John hines born 1810 Bramford. Married 1830 in Stutton. Died 1876 Holbrook

Regards

David

chesil

Hello,

I am stuck with Owen Hines born circa 1786. Thought as corwainer / shoemaker seems to be a family trade it might lead me to his ancestors. He had a son named Owen (a blacksmith). Owen could be family name handed down.

Regards

David

This doesn't help with Owen's ancestors, but here is possible reference to him in 1803. You'd have to view the original record to see if the surname is more like HINES rather then HIMES.

Reference: EG4/G/5/3
    Address: Gatacre Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 2LQ
    Title: Bastardy maintenance order: Owen Himes, late of Stutton, cordwainer, reputed father of female bastard child by Elizabeth Read of Bramford
    Date: 23 Jun 1803

(From the Suffolk Record Office)

www.
    suffolkheritagedirect.org.uk/

Note: This would have been before his marriage to Elizabeth Bagley on 25 Oct 1803.

This still doesn't help with those elsuive ancestors, but there are two different apprentice records on Ancestry relating to Owen HINES of Bramford. The first is dated 1796 and the other is much earlier and is dated 1721. The entries can be found in Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices. Note: both Owen's were the masters and not the apprentices. Oh! and they were cordwainers.

(Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices)

The question is, are they related to your Owen HINES?

First I would ask, for this marriage...

Owen HINES to Elizabeth BAGLEY on on 25 Oct 1803 at Ipswich St Matthew

...do you have a copy of the entry from the marriage register? If not then you should consider getting hold of a photocopy. The Suffolk Record Office in Ipswich do have a copying service and their prices look reasonable.

I also noticed that on this marriage that it has for the groom's parish, 'East Suffolk Militia'. You could also ask the Suffolk Record Office for information on any militia records they hold that cover this date.

www.
    suffolk.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/LocalHistoryandHeritage/SuffolkRecordOffice/

Jan1954

Just to throw something else into the pot, the name of HINES may have developed from HINDS.

In the Suffolk Poll Book of 1710, there is an entry for a William HINDS in Bramford.

Well, I’ve searched through the newspapers looking for any mention of Owen HINES, (the shoemaker) but so far no luck. I did come across a rather lengthy article relating to his son Owen and his daughter Mahala. Here is small part of it (in case you don't have it already.)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

COUNTY COURT REPORTS
    IPSWICH
    Saturday, January 18
    (Before John Worlledae, Esq. Judge)

Fairweather vs Fairweather. -- This matter has been before the Court several times, and it relates to the disposition of the estate of Mahala Elizabeth Fairweather, who died in the parish of St. Mary Stoke, early on the 25th September, 1867.

Owen Hines, the first witness said: I live in Bramford Lane Ipswich and I am a smith. I recollect the testratix, Mahala Elizabeth Fairweather. She was my sister. Her grandson William Fairweather, lodged with me

The Ipswich Journal, Saturday, January 25, 1868

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The article continues for quite a while, going into the disposition of Mahala Fairweather's estate and Owen HINES' claim upon the estate for looking after Mahala's grandson William Fairweather.

NOTE: you will find a reference to the will of Mahala Elizabeth Fairweather in the National Probate Calendar, proved on 8 Apr 1867 by her daughter Mahala Elizabeth Fairweather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast