robsnicta

Default Metcalfe One Name Studies

Hi Everyone

I am researching the Metcalfe name and am a member of The Metcalfe Society which I think is a member of the One Name Guild.

If there is anyone else also researching this family name and its many variations of spelling and have knowledge of the Metcalfe DNA project would please let me know how I get in touch with thems. As there are so many Metcalfes in the Yorkshire area I am keen to find out exactly which ones I am decended from.

Robsnicta

Famous for offering help & advice

You can find information about the Metcalfe DNA Project via the Metcalfe Society website at metcalfe.org.uk (http needed but not www). I found a link in the left hand frame, but if that's not there, click on Projects in the top menu bar for another way to get to it.

I'm a member of the Metcalfe Society too: my interests are a William Metcalfe who married Margaret Robinson in Bishopton, DUR in 1819; and a James Metcalf who married Elizabeth Keen (nee Askew) in London in 1783 - they ended up in Leeds. You can see more about them on my website (link from my name or profile, then use the name index).

If we are connected, I think it's more likely to be through my William. He worked as a miller, and I'd wondered if there might be a connection to the Metcalfes who had Hipswell Mill. However, I haven't found any trace of him in the Metcalfe Society records. Incidentally, I saw your other thread asking about Hipswell, and I can't see anything about your Christopher there either.

Arthur

robsnicta

Hello Arthur

Nice to meet a fellow Metcalfe. Funny you should mention Hipswell as I have just been there today to find out who in my family may be there. There are quite a few metcalfes buried there in what seems to be a bit of a family plot. There was a grave for a William Metcalfe of Colburn (a village 2 - 3 miles away from Hipswell) that died on Nov 15th 1902 aged 85 which would mean he was born around 1817. It was a family grave that also mentioned his wife Mary who died Jan 1900 aged 80 and a Son Ellick who died aged 41 on Nov 1891. I don't if that is relevant to you?

There is a grade II listed building in the vacinity called Hipswell Mill which was a corn mill that appeared to have been owned by the Metcalfes at some time in history.

One of the family members that I am researching is George Metcalfe born c1733 whos father was described as a miller. I am unsure as yet whether he is connected to your william.

On the burial index on the metcalfes websites there a few burials for the Richmond registration district which Hipswell comes under. I also found a grave with a couple of Christopher Metcalfes on it, I still need to look in to that one.

I am trying to find out if my line goes back to the Metcalfes of Nappa Hall. Keep in touch and maybe we will find we are connect.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta View Post
    One of the family members that I am researching is George Metcalfe born c1733 whos father was described as a miller. I am unsure as yet whether he is connected to your william.
    According to the information I have from the Metcalfe Society, there was a George Metcalfe born 1733 who married an Elizabeth Robinson in Coniscliffe in 1768 (he was of Piercebridge), and they had a daughter Hannah baptised in Bishopton in 1771. It looks as though they then had 9 children baptised in Hipswell. Because of the Bishopton and Hipswell (mill) connection I'd wondered if they might be somehow connected to my William, but I haven't found any evidence of this.

My William was born in Yorkshire in about 1794; George and Elizabeth's last child was baptised in 1793, by which time Elizabeth was 48, according to society records. It seems unlikely that she'd have had another son a bit later, so I then wondered if William might be their grandson - possibly the illegitimate son of one of their children. I haven't checked everyone out yet, though I did find the will of Elizabeth (b. 1773, d. 1856 in Ripon); she did apparently have an illegitimate daughter, but there was no mention of William.

I got most of this information from a CD which the society sold until a few months ago, which has over 20,000 names on it, all supposedly connected. It's no longer being advertised, but I suspect all the data is now contained in the databases on the website - however, it would take rather a long time to check!

Finally, for completeness, the CD also mentions a Christopher Metcalfe born in Bishopton in 1812, and baptised in Haughton le Skerne; his parents are given as Thomas Metcalfe and Margaret Hunter.

Arthur

robsnicta

George Died in 1829 and Elizabeth in 1827, both are buried in Hipswell. There Children were James c1793, Elizaberh c1773, John 1775 - 1798, Christopher c1777, George 1779 - 1834, Sara c1782, Robert 1787 - 1818, Mary c1784, Henrietta 1790, Hanna C1771. From what I understand women would continue having children until aged 55 is able to.

There seems to be a mismatch between the birth record and the grave for James, baptism records say 1793 but the grave atually says he died at the age of 94 which would mean he was born in 1802.

I haven't actually checked out any connection to a william yet.

That disc sounds interesting I wonder if it is still available from the Metcalfe Society.

Diane

robsnicta

What was the name of the CD that you bought a few months ago?

Robsnicta

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta View Post
    George Died in 1829 and Elizabeth in 1827, both are buried in Hipswell. There Children were James c1793, Elizaberh c1773, John 1775 - 1798, Christopher c1777, George 1779 - 1834, Sara c1782, Robert 1787 - 1818, Mary c1784, Henrietta 1790, Hanna C1771. From what I understand women would continue having children until aged 55 is able to.
    Hi again Diane

The information you have here mostly agrees with what the Metcalfe Society have. The differences are that they say Robert married an Elizabeth KING in Richmond in 1818, they had 4 children, and he (probably) died in Hipswell in 1860.

I'm not a doctor, but I think I remember reading in my brother's Guinness Book of Records in the 1960s (pre-fertility treatment) that the oldest recorded mother was 54 when she gave birth. Actually Wikipedia gives an older one, but I still think it would have been rather exceptional for a woman to give birth at that age. This Elizabeth's earlier children were fairly regularly spaced at 2 years apart, then it increased to 3 years, so I'd be a bit surprised if she then had a final one after just one year.

There seems to be a mismatch between the birth record and the grave for James, baptism records say 1793 but the grave atually says he died at the age of 94 which would mean he was born in 1802.
    James appears to have been buried in Feb 1886 aged 94, going from society data; this will have been taken from the originals, but I haven't checked these myself. I reckon that's pretty accurate: he was baptised in Jan 1793, which is just over 93 years before his death.

That disc sounds interesting I wonder if it is still available from the Metcalfe Society.
    It was called the Multi-Mecca CD (v.3), and looking back through my correspondence, I appear to have ordered it after seeing an advert in the society journal for Dec 2009 (so more than a few months ago!). I think it was advertised as an end-of-line item, but someone in the society might know if any are still available. However, for this family at least, it looks as though the same data is available in the members' area of the society website. If you're having trouble finding that, let me know by PM or email, and I'll try to help you get there. Incidentally, it looks as though there are quite a lot of society members who are connected to that family - though it also appears that they either don't know or aren't certain who George's (1733-1829) parents were.

Hope this helps!

Arthur