Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chesil

Default Richard Middleton Wood

Can anyone help with any info re Richard Middleton Wood. He was my 3x great grandfather. He was born 1799 in Kent and was listed as being a Preventive Officer in Kent.
    Any info would be most welcome
    David

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello David and welcome to the forum.

I can see a few trees with Richard Middleton WOOD on Ancestry and I am wondering what you already have on him? I know you have said 'any info welcome' but is there anything more specific you are trying to find out (i.e. coastguard records)? It's just so we don't end up posting information you already have.

Mutley

I can see him through the census, married to Esther and with several children.
    He was born in Deal, Kent and possibly died in Southampton in 1877.

As Olliecat says, please could you tell what information you already have?

chesil

Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. I know he married an Esther Roberts 1821 in Deal, Kent. Also from census I know he had many children but have not been able to establish what happened to most of them or where he was based (except census dates) during his carrer.
    Regards
    David

Brick wall demolition expert!

A possibility for you on the National Archives here.

1830: Richard Wood. Entry papers for service as an Excise man
    NOTE: you may need to click the above link twice for it to take you to the entry rather than the catalogue.

I see that he had at least nine children. Which children are you trying to trace?

chesil

Hello,
    Thank you once again. That info i will follow up. I am trying to find info for his son also named Richard Middleton Wood b.1824 in Abbotsbury. Family lore states he was a master mairner employed by Sir James Lamont but have found he is not registered as a master mariner.
    I wondered if there are any other records exist I could check.
    Regards David

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by chesil View Post
    I am trying to find info for his son also named Richard Middleton Wood b.1824 in Abbotsbury. Family lore states he was a master mairner employed by Sir James Lamont but have found he is not registered as a master mariner.
    Hello David,

The publication "My Ancestor was a Merchant Seaman" is "packed full of places to search and the records that can be found in such record offices and archives, full listings of the same, their class and piece numbers, what to look for and where to find little known records."

Maybe that would point you in the right direction.

Mutley

In case you do not have this information (though I suspect you do, but it may help others searching for you)
    the baptism of Richard Myddleton Wood was at Abbotsbury, Dorset on 26 November, Father Richard was in the Preventative Service.

There is a marriage registered in Dover in Dec 1845 probably to Eliza Simpson.

In 1861 Richard (as a master mariner) and Eliza were in Southampton with children
    (all born Southampton)
    Orlando Wood 10
    Louisa Wood 7
    Richard Wood 5
    Albert Wood 3
    Rosina Wood 3Mo
    RG9/674 Folio 178, Page 25
    (census records held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

and it does seem possible that his death was registered there in Dec 1867 age 43
    so his career was sadly, fairly short.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by chesil View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you once again. That info i will follow up. I am trying to find info for his son also named Richard Middleton Wood b.1824 in Abbotsbury. Family lore states he was a master mairner employed by Sir James Lamont but have found he is not registered as a master mariner.
    Regards David

Is the Sir James Lamont?
    Sir James Lamont, 1st Baronet (26 April 1828 – 29 July 1913) was a Scottish explorer, particularly known for his travels in the Arctic; he also travelled to Africa and the West Indies. He was a fellow of the Geological Society of London and the Royal Geographical Society.
    Courtesy of Wikipedia.

His life seems well documented on Google so maybe you could tie up where and when Sir James and your Richard may have travelled together.

Mutley

In the 1851 Eliza was at home without Richard but with two children, she is stated as the wife of a mariner.
    Horatio born 1846 Dymchurch, Kent and Orlando at 3 months old born Southton, Hants.
    HO107/669 Folio 351 Page 15
    (census records held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

I wonder where Sir James was off travelling in 1851?

Maybe when you can afford it, the birth certificates of these two children may just give you a further clue regarding the occupation of Richard.

And again, in case you do not have it, this was interesting.
    Orlando Henry Wood of the Railway Hotel, Ringwood, Hampshire died on 16 April 1922
    at 29 Argyle Road, Weymouth. Probate London 28 June to Ralph Middleton Wood and Louis Orlando Wood, licensed victuallers. Effects £904 18s 3d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast