Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missiletech

Default Looking For Family - Rapley

Hi, my name is Ronald Thomas. I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, USA in 1950. I am looking for relatives in England.

My Grandmother Annie Rapley was born 14 November 1894 (one of 11 children) (Father: Stephen Rapley and Mother: Eliza Crane) and in 1920 supposedly lived in Jubilee Cottage, Burrow Hill, Chobham Surrey, England. This information is from her Alien Free Information 22 September 1920. It is my understanding that she was the only one of her family to come to the United States. I have gotten bits and pieces of information but am hoping this new information will get me closer to the correct information. I was in contact with a Shannon Fuller some years back who had some information but lost touch with her over the years. I have a copy of my grandmother's passport if any one is interested I can sent it to them with other information I have gathered.

I am interested in any and all information on my family history that I can obtain. Thanks in advance.

Ron Thomas

Nicolina

the 1901 Census (RG13/595/46 Page 17) for 3, Jubilee Cottages, Burrow Hill, Chobham, Surrey has:
    Stephen RAPLEY b. abt. 1864, occ: Bricklayer
    Eliza RAPLEY b. abt. 1868
    William RAPLEY b. abt. 1892
    Emily RAPLEY b. abt. 1894
    Annie RAPLEY b. abt. 1895
    Eliza RAPLEY b. abt. 1897
    Arthur RAPLEY b. abt. 1898
    Stephen RAPLEY b. abt. 1900

all born Chobham

in 1911 the family were still living at Jubilee Cottages (RG14PN3022 RG78PN106 RD32 SD3 ED8 SN140) plus:
    Harry b. abt. 1904
    Mabel b. abt. 1907

however daughters Emily, Annie & Eliza were not with them.

Nicolina

in 1911 (RG14PN3029 RG78PN107 RD33 SD1 ED2 SN36) Emily Mary was a General Domestic Servant for the JEFFES family at Hendrew Heathside Crescent, Woking

I'm having difficulty finding Annie & Eliza

Missiletech

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Hi Ron

Are you looking for census details of Annie and her parents or do you already have these? Your comment that she was one of 11 children implies that you know a fair amount already.

I was also wondering if you were wanting to go backwards in time or forwards. If the latter please be aware that our rules prohibit the details of living persons from being posted on the Forum (Please see our Acceptable user Policy). If members can help with living relatives they may of course contact you by private message.

Do you have the family in all census years and have you got further back than Stephen and Eliza? If you let us know briefly what you already know it will prevent our members from researching unnecessary information.
    No, I am looking for family history. I would like to make contact with some living relatives to ask them for current history if that is possible.

Here is what I know from one of my Aunt's

Husband: Stephen Rapley
    Wife: Eliza Crane
    Died: 13 November 1946 in: London, England

CHILDREN
    1 Name: William Rapley
    2 Name: Stephan Rapley
    3 Name: Emily Rapley Married: Spouse: Frank
    4 Name: Arthur Rapley Married: Spouse: Lily
    5 Name: Fred Rapley Married: Spouse: Hilda
    6 Name: George Rapley Married: Spouse: Alice
    7 Name: Indigo Rapley
    8 Name: Mabel Rapley Married: Spouse: Robert Burden
    9 Name: Eliza Rapley
    10 Name: Harry Rapley Married: Spouse: Noreen
    11 Name: Annie Rapley Born: 14 November 1894 in: Chobham, Surrey, England
    Died: 19 June 1973 in: Cleveland, Ohio
    Married: 08 February 1921 in: Toledo, Ohio
    Spouse: Samuel Thomas (Salvatora Tomas)

I do not have any other information other than Stephen the father died while in London and was buried there and that a Vicar? denied moving the body back to their home in Surrey. No birth dates on any one other than my Grandmother and death dates only on my Grandmother and her Mother. So, any sources to answer questions like these would be greatly appreciated. I do have her passport https://www.multiwebs.net/misc/annie_rapley_passport.pdf and the number but do not know if that will get me any information.

Coromandel

A really useful site for locating birth, marriage and death registrations in England and Wales from 1837 is FreeBMD, which you can find at freebmd.org.uk (put "www." in front).

Searching FreeBMD for Stephen Rapley marrying Eliza Crane, there is a possible match in 1890 in the Chertsey district (which would cover Chobham). This would fit well with the approximate date of birth of their first known child, William (approx 1892) as shown in the 1901 census given by Nicolina in post #2.

Armed with the details and reference numbers shown on FreeBMD, you could send off for a copy of their marriage certificate. You may also be able to identify the children's birth registrations, and perhaps their marriages, from FreeBMD.

For more recent events (not yet transcribed by FreeBMD volunteers) you could try the BMD indexes on Ancestry.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Missiletech View Post
    No birth dates on any one other than my Grandmother and death dates only on my Grandmother and her Mother. So, any sources to answer questions like these would be greatly appreciated.
    Another site that is useful is Family Search. Sometimes you can find relevant baptisms, marriages and burials amongst other things. For example, a possible christening record for Stephen (based on the census data) is...

name: Stephen Rapley
    baptism/christening date: 22 Nov 1863
    baptism/christening place: Saint Lawrence, Chobham, Surrey, England
    father's name: Inigo Rapley
    mother's name: Frances

www.
    familysearch.org/

I see Stephen had a child named Indigo (from your list.) It would of course be best to get hold of Stephen's marriage certificate first in order to make sure of his father's name.

Nicolina

taking the line further back to the 1871 Census (RG10/806/127 Page 14) for Burrow Hill, Chobham
    Inigo RAPLEY b. abt. 1826 occ: Ag Lab
    Francis RAPLEY b. abt. 1830
    William RAPLEY b. abt. 1852
    George RAPLEY b. abt. 1856
    James RAPLEY b. abt. 1859
    John RAPLEY b. abt. 1861
    Stephen RAPLEY b. abt. 1864
    Fredrick RAPLEY b. abt. 1867
    Eli RAPLEY b. abt. 1869

all born Chobham

Nicolina

a marriage:
    Dec 1847
    Rapley Inigo Chertsey 4 59

on same page:
    CRANE Frances Chertsey 4 59

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post

name: Stephen Rapley
    baptism/christening date: 22 Nov 1863
    baptism/christening place: Saint Lawrence, Chobham, Surrey, England
    father's name: Inigo Rapley
    mother's name: Frances
    This site here has details of the above Stephen Rapley (but it does not mention his wife or children) ...

www.
    clive.uk.com/trees/Rapley/persons/person56.html

It may be better to reserve looking at this until you have his marriage certificate.

Nicolina

going even further back to 1841 (HO107/1074/4/13 Page 18) for Borrow Hill, Chobham
    Phebe RAPLEY b. abt. 1801 occ: Laundress
    Hariet RAPLEY b. abt. 1821
    Inigo (transcribed Indigo) RAPLEY b. abt. 1826
    William RAPLEY b. abt. 1831
    James RAPLEY b. abt. 1840
    James STEVENS b. abt. 1821 occ: Ag Lab

all born Surrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast