Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Coromandel

If you search for Stanley in the London Gazette you will be able to chart his progress from Captain to Major to Lt.-Col. and even acting Colonel for a while (try searching for the exact phrase S D Gardner). His gallantry awards are there too (search for his full name to find these).

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    Incidentally, I still cannot find a death date for Edward Thomas Gardner but the marriage certificate of another son Gerald Howard Gardner dated 23/03/1931 gives his father as Edward Thomas Gardner, Army Officer, Royal Horse Artillery, decd..
    Could be difficult finding a death if he was registered without his middle name. Could he have returned to living in the Westminster area?

Death Sep 1930 St George Hanover Square 1a 392
    Edward T Gardner
    Age 82
    Est. birth date: 1848

FredP

Thanks Olliecat, but I already have this death cert. It says 'Old Age Pensioner, formerly an actor, and was registered by A. Gardner, widow of deceased, 164 Ebury Street, Westminster.'

I don't think this can be him as he was at different times described as Surveyor, Estate Agent, and Captain in the London Defence Regiment (Volunteers). However I see there was a marriage in Wandsworth in the last quater of 1919 of an Edward Thomas Gardner to an Alice Shorter. I am looking to see if I can find anything about her.

FredP

I now have the marriage cert of Edward Thomas Gardner - Wandsworth Register Office 24/12/1919: -

Edward Thomas Gardner, 71, Widower of Independent Means, 164 Ebury Street, Westminster; father Edward Gardner decd also of Independent Means.
    Alice Shorter, 45, Spinster, 9 Sabine Road, Battersea; father George Thomas Shorter decd, Page in Royal Household.
    The witnesses were W T and L Walter.

So the death cert is his, but how did widow suppose him to be a retired actor? Maybe a mis-transcription in the Probate Office?

Muskrat

Exclamation Regarding: Lt Col Stanley Douglas Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    Do you remember the Gardners? Did they live next to you? (A question obviously addressed to members of the older generation).
    After much consideation I am convinced that the Edward Gardner who died 29/09/1936 at the Duchess Nursing Home in Marylebone was the Edward Thomas Gardner who had married my g-father's 2xcousin Kate Charlotte Cooper in 1877. They had 8 children but do not seem to have lived together after the late 1890s.
    His Will, drawn up 04/01/1919 when he lived at Woodridings, Cumnor Road, Sutton, left everything to his wife Maud Jane, but I cannot find any registration of this marriage; not surprising, perhaps, since Kate Charlotte did not die until 12/10/1918 at 30 Addiscombe Grove, Croydon.
    When he died his home address was Southview, Cheam Road, Ewell, but when Probate was granted to Maud Jane on 25/11/1936 her address was Montreux, Higher Drive, Banstead. She died in the 1st quarter of 1954 in the Surrey Mid-Eastern District. She seems to have been born c 1881. Has anyone any idea of her maiden name, and wherther or not she had made an earlier marriage?
    My thanks to anyone who can shed any light. FredP.
    I am looking for any descendants of Lt. Col. Stanley Douglas Gardner, MC, born 1880 in London and died of wounds in 1918 in France.
    I have an artifact from World War I of great personal significance to him which I would like to turn over to his family if any can be found.
    He had a very illustrious career with the Canadian forces in the War which is well documented online.
    Cmdr. Ross S. Selvidge, USN (Ret)
    Pasadena, California, USA
    Ross.SelvidgeATgmailDotcom
    Last edited by christanel; 04-07-2016 at 2:13 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

To help in your quest and for others who may wish to try and follow the lines through -there are about 4 public trees on ancestry which have the parents and siblings of Stanley Douglas Gardner as follows
    1.Ethel Kate Gardner 1878 = 1968 married Herbert Woollard Cowles
    2. Cuthbert Edward Lechlade Gardner 1871-1956 married Daisy Maud Adams in Balmain North NSW Australia in 1908. A son Gerald Henry Cuthbert Gardner born 1909 married Amy Bessie Patricia Whitfield (1911-1982) Their daughter Jill Gardner 1937-2009. There is a death notice for Jill Gardner which names her two daughters, and son and a grandson. We are not allowed to post the names of possibly living people on the forums so if their names are needed I can send them to you via private message (pm) later.
    3. Stanley D Gardner 1880- 29 Sep 1918 Etrun, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Spouse Rachel Smith
    4. Gerald Howarth Gardner 1881-1953 married 1.Margaret A Buchan-Smith 2. Maud A M Reed
    5. Gladys May Amelia Gardner 1884-1973 married Hugh Taylor Carr
    6. Clara Victoria 1886-1971 no spouse listed
    7. Dorothy Mildred Gardner 1889-1968 no spouse listed
    8. Sybil Mary Gardner 1891-1974 no spouse listed

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123