Do you remember the Gardners? Did they live next to you? (A question obviously addressed to members of the older generation).
After much consideation I am convinced that the Edward Gardner who died 29/09/1936 at the Duchess Nursing Home in Marylebone was the Edward Thomas Gardner who had married my g-father's 2xcousin Kate Charlotte Cooper in 1877. They had 8 children but do not seem to have lived together after the late 1890s.
His Will, drawn up 04/01/1919 when he lived at Woodridings, Cumnor Road, Sutton, left everything to his wife Maud Jane, but I cannot find any registration of this marriage; not surprising, perhaps, since Kate Charlotte did not die until 12/10/1918 at 30 Addiscombe Grove, Croydon.
When he died his home address was Southview, Cheam Road, Ewell, but when Probate was granted to Maud Jane on 25/11/1936 her address was Montreux, Higher Drive, Banstead. She died in the 1st quarter of 1954 in the Surrey Mid-Eastern District. She seems to have been born c 1881. Has anyone any idea of her maiden name, and wherther or not she had made an earlier marriage?
My thanks to anyone who can shed any light. FredP.