Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FredP

Thank you all for your trouble but sorry, I have obviously got the wrong Edward Thomas Gardner again.

He is the one born c 1848 in Marylebone.

I had missed the birth and death entries for Winifred Mignon who would have been their 9th child unless I have missed any others.

I have all needed information about the other 5 daughters and the youngest son Gerald b 1881, but the others - Cuthbert Edward Lethfield b 1879 and Stanley Douglas b 1880 seem to disappear from the records after 1891.

Kate and Edward's census details for 1901 and 1911 are those I have. Edward is with his daughter Gladys Carr aand her husband in 1911, but I am a little uncertain about his 1901 address.

However, thanks again, and I will post anything further I come across. FredP.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    the others - Cuthbert Edward Lethfield b 1879 and Stanley Douglas b 1880 seem to disappear from the records after 1891.
    With young men of that generation disappearing, my first thought is usually the First World War. I checked CWGC and found this:

Stanley Douglas Gardner, nationality Canadian, serving in Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment), 7th Bn (attd 38th Bn) Lieut-Col., died 30/09/1918, aged 37. Awards: CMG, MC.

'Chevalier Legion D'Honneur (France). Son of Edward Thomas and Kate Charlotte Gardner; husband of May Gardner (nee Machel), of 65, The Grove, Palmer's Green, London, England.'

Grave/memorial reference; VII.A. 85, Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun.

Since his age and parents' names match what you've posted above, I thought he might be one of the missing brothers.

Coromandel

His attestation papers say that he was born 22 August 1880 in London.

https://www.
    collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

His wife's name is I think shown as Ray on these papers, not May as in CWGC.

FredP

Thank you, Coromandel, this must be him. It is a big surprise to find him a Canadian citizen and a Lt. Col. He died just 12 days before his mother. I will look further into the other information you have given me, and also see if I can find out what happened to his widow.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Stanley Douglas Gardner married Rachel Smith on 11 Jul 1910 at St Helen, Kensington. He was 29, his occupation was gentleman and he was living in Addiscombe Road, Croydon. His father was Thomas Edward Gardner who was also recorded as a gentleman. Rachel was 28 and her father was Thomas Smith, a gentleman farmer. One of the witnesses was Kate C Gardner.

Does this sound like your Stanley? Did he marry again after this?

Coromandel

That must be the right man, olliecat: Stanley's full address in the marriage register is I think Homewood, Addiscombe Grove, Croydon, which is where Kate C. Gardner was living in 1911 (helachau has given the reference in post #10) and where Kate died (see post #1).

So is this wife Rachel the same as the 'Ray' on his attestation papers? Also it occurs to me that perhaps 'Machel' which is given in CWGC as his wife's maiden name is in fact an error for 'Rachel'??

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    That must be the right man, olliecat:
    Yes, I 'm sure it's the right man (from the address), but I was just posing the question to Fred.

So is this wife Rachel the same as the 'Ray' on his attestation papers?
    That I haven't figured out as yet but I suspect it could be. There's a possible sighting of Stanley in 1917. There are two records for a Lt S D GARDINER travelling to Montreal but he appears to have missed his first trip on the 10 August 1917 (there's a line through his name) and travelled on 17 August 1917 instead. A few other military men are listed on the page along with him and it has the word 'goverment' written on the sheet.

Still looking for Rachel/Ray/May.

Coromandel

'....Son of Edward Thomas and Kate Charlotte Gardner; husband of May Gardner (nee Machel),
    of 65, The Grove, Palmer's Green, London, England.'
    From outgoing passenger lists on Findmypast:

Mrs Ray Gardner, of 65 The Grove, Palmers Green, N1, widow, aged 43, left London on board the 'Malwa' on
    14 August 1925, bound for Yokohama. In the column headed 'Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence'
    it says 'Dutch East Indies'.

Famous for offering help & advice

From outgoing passenger lists on Findmypast:

Mrs Ray Gardner, of 65 The Grove, Palmers Green, N1, widow, aged 43, left London on board the 'Malwa' on
    14 August 1925, bound for Yokohama. In the column headed 'Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence'
    it says 'Dutch East Indies'.
    Could this be a son? (Or just a coincidence) Family search has 1930 US census Theodore R Gardner b 1900 New York, residence 1930 Yokohama Japan, US consular service

Edit Or then again no as I see Stanley and Ray married 1910!

FredP

Thanks to all for this additional information, which seems to raise as many queries as povide answers.

Certainly the marriage 11/07/1910 must be for the correct Stanley Douglas Gardner. I don't know how I could have missed it before, but I cannot find them in the 1911 census.

In the meantime I had found a May Machell b 1874 in Ontario and wondered if this could be the wife. And now I have started wondering if there could be two S D Gardners as a Bitish Lieut. who went to Canada in August 1917 is hardly likely to have become a Canadian Lieut. Colonel by September 1918. But I cannot see any flaw in the argument that there must be only one.

Incidentally, I still cannot find a death date for Edward Thomas Gardner but the marriage certificate of another son Gerald Howard Gardner dated 23/03/1931 gives his father as Edward Thomas Gardner, Army Officer, Royal Horse Artillery, decd..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast