Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kevin Garrad

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Light View Post
    Val

I have two copies here of GNC Registers for England and Wales, 1928 and 1942. So if anyone would like a nurse's name checked, I'll have a look.
    That's very helpful of you Sue.

My Aunt, Ethel Irene Primrose Garrad, b 1908 Wiltshire d 1970 Sussex, was trained in Bristol (I believe), and ended up as a Matron in a Mental Hospital in Sussex. (I can't remember which one! But I did visit as a child).
    Her home address was her father's in Portishead, Somerset after he married for the 3rd time to my grandmother.

My father seems to recall that she did some of her training in Birmingham? But, he is suffering from Alzheimer's, and I haven't found any proof of this?

If you could do a look up, I would be very grateful!

Are the Registers at TNA available online?

Sue Light

Kevin

The General Nursing Council Register for 1942 shows the following details:

Garrad, Ethel Irene Primrose
    No. on Register: 100086
    Permanent Address: Channel Nursery, South Road, Portishead, Somerset
    Trained: Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, 1936-39, by examination
    Date of Registration: 23 June 1939

So her three year general training was in Birmingham, and checking the other parts of the Register there is no other entry in the part for Fever, Children's or Mental nurses, so that would seem to be her only recognised nurse training. She may well have trained later as a midwife or perhaps in mental nursing which a later register might show up. And no, unfortunately none of the GNC Registers or Midwives' Registers are online.

Regards --- Sue

Kevin Garrad

Thank you very much, Sue.

I should point out that her father, my grandfather was a Nurseryman - plants!
    So she would not have trained (necessarily!) as a midwife or children's nurse!!

There was, at one point, a strain of tomato called "Garrad's Delight", which was advertised in Horticultural journals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12