Thread: Sarepta COBB

valspall

Default Sarepta COBB

Hello all.
    I have a Sarepta COBB (born abt 1805 in Debenham according to all the census I have found her on) who marrries William SPALL 24 May 1831 in Debenham and they go on to have at least 6 children. I have found her death in 1886 but am having trouble finding her birth despite such an unusual name. Can anyone help with suggestions please?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by valspall View Post
    I have a Sarepta COBB (born abt 1805 in Debenham according to all the census I have found her on) who marrries William SPALL ...
    Looking at the census, wasn't she born in Mendlesham?

However, since FreeREG have coverage of Debenham (St Mary Magdalene) baptisms from 1784-1822, I had a look anyway but I couldn't see a baptism for her. You should of course check for yourself.

www.
    freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Unfortunately, FreeREG have not transcribed any Mendlesham baptisms at this time and after a quick search I couldn’t see any Mendlesham baptisms online elsewhere. I'll have another search later unless someone comes up with something in the meantime.

As an aside, I noticed a baptism on Family Search of a child of Sarepta COBB named Mary who was baptised on 24 Feb 1822 at Mendlesham. Also, looking on the Suffolk heritage site, there was a bastardy maintenance order issued on 27 May 1828 against Samuel Pierpoint, late of Mendlesham, yeoman, for a female child of Sarepta Cobb.

terrysfamily

I take it you got this marriage from Familysearch?

Groom: William SPALL
    Bride: Sarepta COBB
    marriage date: Tuesday 24 May 1831, Debenham, Suffolk, England
    indexing project (batch) number: M13176-1, source film number: 918518

There is also this entry found on FreeREG (it has a different date and a little more information).

Register Number 149
    MarriageDate Friday 27 May 1831, St Mary, Debenham, Suffolk
    Groom: William SPALL, Bachelor
    Bride: Sarepta COBB, Spinster
    Witness One: Jeremiah MOORE
    Witness Two: Mary Ann MOORE
    Notes Groom made X.

(I added the week day)

valspall

Thanks olliecat, she was indeed born in Mendelsham - I had typed Debenham so many times that day that I was on autopilot I think! I had found the illigitimate child & my next step was to follow that through and now thanks to your help I have ordered a copy of the bastardy maintenance order from the Suffolk Record Office. Many thanks once again!

valspall

Thanks terrysfamily! I did indeed get the info from Familysearch & hadn't thought to double check it on FreeREG (won't make that mistake again ... I hope). Every little extra bit helps! Thanks again!