Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    corpios

Sorry i didnt realise that they were all linked.

davidcarca

Lou posted earlier today on another board "Please can you help me by telling me anything about William Tuck the father of Jabez Tuck[cambridgeshire] Many thanks"

My reply in part was (before I'd found this thread which covered much of the ground and more than I'd covered:

"Jabez was born c1815 in Cambridge according to censuses. His 1866 marriage to Anne Eldridge names his father as William deceased. Was she actually Mary Ann and was the mother of all his children?

The Baptism Index at
    https://www.
    cfhs.org.uk/Search.html
    throws up nothing. However a tree on Ancestry gives a birth date of 14 Aug 1814, but it doesn't say where or give a source. The same tree shows parents as being William Tuck and Sarah Hutt, but again no detail is given. They actually married at Cambridge All Saints on 12 Oct 1813, William being of the parish of Cambridge St Mary the Less.

One of the other boards to which you contributed says that Jabez was a Strict Baptist, at least for some of his life. Possibly that's why he wasn't baptised if his parents were also non-conformist.

I would contact the owner of the ancestry tree to see where the birth date came from"

David
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 05-09-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: direct link to site with items for sale

JamesMac

I'm very late to this particular game, though Louise and I have spoken separately.

About the 1866 marriage: some evidence I've looked at is making me suspect that Jabez and (Mary) Anne were not legally married at the time. There are a series of marriage allegations available via Ancestry - this is where the prospective husband goes to the Diocese for a licence to be married, rather than have their banns called in the local church.

I have found what I am convinced is the marriage of Jabez's daughter Clara. Her husband goes by the name of Demosthenes Cartwright - so there is only ever going to be one of him! His marriage allegation is fine, apart from naming his wife as Clara Ann Costall, not Tuck.

I also found the allegation for Helena Tuck's marriage to Henry Bland Kimpton. She is a minor at the date of the allegation (23 August 1883) and is living two streets from her father Jabez - and yet she claims that she has no lawful parent living, nor any guardian appointed by the Chancery Court. Viewed conventionally, that's a blatant lie, and one which would be rapidly uncovered (Jabez was a frequent visitor to Chancery). But if she knew that he was not legally her father, because the marriage was invalid...?

James

JamesMac

The "con" about wrong birthplace for Albert:

Alfred Eldridge went to school at Boughton under Blean (see the 1871 Census, he's at Tenterden House). If you are lying, you never pick details out of the air, there is always some grain of truth at the back of it.

James

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567