Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wentworth

Smile Frederick James Myers

I need help finding Frederick James Myers born c1821 possible Exton Rutland. His brothers and sisters were born there and as he is in the middle I am assuming he s also. Any help would be appreciated

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    His brothers and sisters were born there and as he is in the middle I am assuming he s also.
    Families sometimes do unexpected things: I have found one family who were on the same farm on two consecutive censuses, but in between they must have gone to Canada and then come back, for some of the children had been born there.

Have you found Frederick on any censuses? (If so, please give references as this may help us in the search for more information.) Also, please tell us whatever you can about his parents and siblings: once the Brit-Gen sleuths have got the scent, they'll be off with noses to the ground . . .

Wentworth

No cannot find him on the census. He came out to Australia in 1850 so there is only one census the 1841 but he does not appear on it. I am beginning to think he may be a seaman. Have ordered his marriage cert so that will at least tell me what his occupation was.

Wentworth

He married a Catherine Mary Arnell in 1843 in OAKHAM Rutland. He also has a son William Thomas Myers born about 1837 whom I cannot find also. Had three children with Catherine when the came out to Australia. His father is William Myers and his mother is Sarah ?.

Coromandel

Once the marriage certificate arrives you should have some more information, such as whether either Frederick or Catherine had been married before.

If Frederick was really born about 1821, he would have been very young when William Thomas Myers was born. Could William have been Catherine's son, and just took his stepfather's name later? Have you found any likely candidates for Catherine in the 1841 census? Does William's death certificate give a birthplace?

Wentworth

Yes I have found Catherine on the 1841 with her father and possibly her grandmother and a girl Mary Ann. Mary Ann came out as part of the family.
    William Thomas death cert did not say where he was born. He died in hospital. No relative information.
    And yes Fred must have been young. On William Thomas marriage certs (he married 3 times) he states his father as Frederick. Have not been able to find William Thomas birth.
    I agree that when Fred's marriage cert comes it may answer a few questions. I wonder that as William is probably illegitimate he was perhaps sent away from home.
    Thanks for your help

janbooth

I can't help with Frederick's birth/baptism as my Rutland PR Transcripts only go up to 1812, but given that your Frederick's father was a William MYERS and Frederick was married in Oakham, there is the baptism on 4 September 1791 at Oakham of a William MYERS son of John & Mary MYERS plus the baptisms of 6 siblings - let me know if you would like more details.

The Leics FHS Rutland Burial Index shows the following burials:

William MYER at Exton on 4 December 1865, aged 73
    Alfred MYERS at Exton on 6 February 1824, infant
    Alfred MYERS at Exton on 16 August 1888, aged 63
    Frederick MYERS at Exton on 6 February 1820, infant
    Sarah MYERS at Exton on 8 October 1877, aged 91
    Susannah MYERS at Exton on 9 March 1895, aged 85

Also several MYERS burials at Oakham - again let me know if you would like more details.

Janet

Wentworth

Thanks Janet, I would like anything that you have. Interesting about the death of a Fred in 1820. When I looked at what births I could find I thought there were large gaps (5years) in between some of them. I am going to find out if the Latter Day Saints have the church records of Exton, and if so order it in. Sorry for the delay in answering but the time difference in Australia means that I am ready to retire when England is awakeing. Thanks again for the info.
    Pat

janbooth

Hi Pat,

Baptisms of children of John & Mary MYERS at Oakham (courtesy of Leics & Rutland FHS PR transcripts):

14 December 1789 Mary MYERS daughter of John & Mary
    30 September 1793 Robert MYERS son of John & Mary
    13 March 1810 Sarah MYERS daughter of John & Mary
    21 August 1811 Jane MYERS daughter of John & Mary
    4 September 1811 Jane MYERS daughter of John & Mary

I mis-counted - only 5 siblings!

I wonder if John was married twice:

15 September 1783 John MYERS son of John & Sarah
    30 March 1785 Joseph MYERS son of John & Sarah

Marriages:

23 December 1782 at Oakham John MYERS of Oakham, bachelor & Sarah OSBAND of Oakham by Sp Banns
    13 November 1788 at Oakham John MYERS, of the parish & Mary WALKER, of the parish, by banns
    1 March 1810 at Oakham William ROYCE, of the parish, & Mary MYERS, of the parish, by licence

Burials:

13 May 1787 Charlotte MYERS daughter of John & Sarah
    10 May 1787 Joseph MYERS son of John & Sarah
    13 May 1787 Sarah MYERS wife of John
    6 October 1810 Sarah MYERS, infant

Poor John, 3 of his family lost within 3 days of each other. There is no baptism for Charlotte, so I wonder if Sarah died in perhaps a still childbirth or something like that.

Post 1812 Burials at Oakham:

15 January 1824 Mary MYERS, aged 88
    23 September 1834 John MYERS, aged 80
    22 June 1825 Caroline MYERS, aged 4
    11 October 1836 Sarah MYERS, aged 8
    19 September 1846 Charles Alfred MYERS, infant
    10 October 1846 Frederic MYERS, aged 7
    14 November 1854 Robert MYERS, aged 37
    17 January 1863 Sarah MYERS, aged 41

HTH further

Janet

Wentworth

Thanks Janet
    Will have a good look tomorrow.The deaths are interesting as they appear to be part of Fred's line. I am fairly sure his father was William but will have to wait for the marriage cert.
    Thanks again
    Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast