Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mutley

I'd thought Mabel might like to posses the physical copies of the registers (regardless of the entries) written by the Rev Michael Gardiner
    I know I would if he were mine.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I'd thought Mabel might like to posses the physical copies of the registers (regardless of the entries) written by the Rev Michael Gardiner
    I know I would if he were mine.
    Ah, yes! But I doubt if LMA will be persuaded to part with them that easily.

Meanwhile, Mabel can see his signature on several pages, via Ancestry's images. It might also be worth checking the endpapers of the register, for any additional notes he might have written.

Mutley

Ah, yes! But I doubt if LMA will be persuaded to part with them that easily.
    So sorry, I read it wrong, I thought that a copy of the register could be purchased, like many others can.

Sadly it seems not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Sadly it seems not.
    But if Mabel is seriously considering visiting London and could go to the LMA, she might be able to view and handle the original register. The LMA catalogue entry doesn't include a film number for this particular register, nor any notes about restricted access. If the catalogue is up to date in this respect, it would imply that the original register is produced for those requiring access, rather than a film. Just a thought.

Mabel

Thank you. My local library has an ancestry.com subscription. I'll give it a try. From what I've seen so far, they MUST be two George Gardiners.

Mabel

I'd promise to wear white cotton gloves! Of course, there is a small problem. Rev Michael Gardner died August 1630. George married March 1630 in London. So Rev Michael was not in charge of the parish records when George's children were born. According to Michael's 1624 will, other sons had children, but not George, yet. Two of his sons were born 1631 and 1633. I will be hunting for their birth/baptism registers, supposedly in London.

Thank you for looking into the Greenford register files.

What is LMA--I looked back at the posts and I don't see it spelled out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    What is LMA--I looked back at the posts and I don't see it spelled out?
    Sorry, London Metropolitan Archives, effectively the record office for Greater London.

www.
    cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/

Mabel

Thanks for the translation and URL.

Mabel

I spent a week (it felt like a month) in Salt Lake City dealing with George. The short form is that his marriage to Sarah was "by special license from Mr Hunt's office" meaning that there is no record of parents' names or home locations. And, apparently, the "license" was given to the couple so it may, or may not, be with the parish records. There is record of the Slaughter family in what Boyd Citizens of London-so no father's name. My guess is that George and Sarah were young folks looking for their fortune in the big city. I tried all the baptism indexes for their supposed offspring--no luck. They could have migrated anywhere in England, or even to the colonies. There were no records kept until later. I am still looking for evidence of sons Robert (b. 1631) and Edward (b.1633) perhaps in London.

Mabel

If you don't mind a little fiction in your history, check out REBEL PURITAN (rebelpuritan.com]) for the embellished history of George Gardiner's family in Newport. His Lady (maybe, wife) was Herodias (Herod) Long. They had many children and several scandals. Some of it may even be true. Searching the Salt Lake City, I found nothing in England on Herodias. Like George, she may shave sprung up like a mushroom in Rhode Island.

Isn't family history fun?
    Last edited by Jan1954; 07-10-2012 at 8:09 PM. Reason: Url edited as it is commercial.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast