Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Orielbenfro

Default Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock

I have been able to compile a new database on burials at Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock, some 770+ references in total.
    Park Street appears to have begun before the time that the new town of Pembroke Dock received its name, about 1815 or 1816 and was in use upto about 1872.
    Following the Churchyard Clearance act of the 1860's Llanion began construction in 1868 and opened for burials in 1872.
    It would appear that family burial at Park Street was permitted after 1872, the last I have being an addition to a plot in 1910.
    If you have the exact full name and approx date reply to this thread and I will try to assist.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well done you. This must assist many people when they get to hear aboutit.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jillychris

Hello Orielbenfro

You have helped me previously with my Warry family.

This is your previous message to me

Turning to burials I have searched my index of Pembroke St Michael Burials for the period 1871 – 1929 and I find
    Entry 347 Sarah Warrey of the Workhouse buried 17 Mar 1883 aged 36 yrs by David Bowen
    Entry 200 William George Warry of Lower Lamphey Farm buried 06 May 1878 aged 02 yrs and 04 mths by D.E. Williams.
    If the burials took place at Pembs St Michael churchyard (doubtfull) then the headstones no longer exist, nor do any reference to their burial exist for Pembs St Michael Cemetery on the Lamphey Road Pembroke.

Could they possibly have been buried in Park Street Cemetery?

Thank you for the help you gave me in the past it has been a big help.

Regards
    Jill

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Well done you. This must assist many people when they get to hear aboutit.
    Fabulous Oriel! How helpful you are!!

Now if you can find Edwin Gwyther died approx. 1888 Pembroke dock or any other Gwyther's from 1882 - 1906 that would be wonderful. I am looking for Edwin and ? Gwyther parents of Lilian Mary Gwyther born 1882 Pembroke Dock. Edwin is the father's name on the marriage certificate for Lilian but can't find a decent birth that matches him or on any census. He was a shoemaker.

Orielbenfro

Thankyou for the reminder and query. Alas the answer is going to be the same. Park Street Cemetery appears to have been for the emerging town of Pembroke Dock(aft 1817), I have not yet come across any x/ref between St Michael’s burials and Park Street when I x/ref between my transcription of St Michaels Burials 1711 to 1929 and St Mary's burials 1711 to 1950's.

I have always assumed that pre 1844 (start of services at P.D. St John) that all Dock burials where held at St Mary’s, however whilst the likes of Captain Cumby of Battle of Trafalgar fame had his burial service at St Mary’s and is buried at Park St., there are still a number that do not appear at St Mary’s. This is leading me towards the theory(my speculation only) that the Mortuary at Park St, may have had its own burial register for a period, now lost, or that all the other burials are not established church but are Chapel, for which the majority of registers have long been lost.

An update ~ I have found reference to the burial of an Elizabeth Ann Warry who was buried at City Rd Cemetery H’west on the 29 June 1951 in plot Unconsecrated Row 15 Grave 6, which would indicate probably Chapel member.

Apologies that I can be of no further assistance at this time.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Jillychris

Thank you for looking for me I wasn't sure if they would be there or not but thought I would ask.

Also thank you for the reference to the burial of Elizabeth Ann Warry I will keep a note of her name
    just in case she pops up in my tree somewhere.

Regards
    Jill

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Fabulous Oriel! How helpful you are!!
    .................find Edwin Gwyther died approx. 1888 Pembroke dock.............
    Bad news Edwin Gwyther is not buried at Park St Cemetery.

Good news Edwin Gwyther was buried at Llanion Cemetery on the 01st Sept 1888 in plot B 501.

Herein lies a further problem, the vast majority of headstones at Llanion in Sections A ~ G where all removed from there original locations and now form a circular feature centred in the old/early part of Llanion behind the memorial chapel. The headstones have not been re-erected in any sequence so old and new from different sections stand side by side requiring a long walk in every decreasing circles studying all headstones as one goes to find the headstone one requires. I have now done this walk more times than I care to remember. Go to google maps follow the London road out of P.D. and you will see the circular feature of headstones I refer to in the cemetery.

There is no reference to Lil(l)ian Mary Gwyther either on Free BMD or baptised at Pembroke Dock St John circa 1882, nor does there appear to be a mrge or death registered for her.

Edwin is aged 30 yrs at his death in 1888, it would be interesting to note on the certificate who registered the death. I can find no reference to the mrge of an Edwin Gwyther, nor a baptism. There is a baptism of an Edward Gwyther at Monkton in 1856 and a mrge of a Edwin Laurence Gwyther to Ann Llewelyn in one of the parish covered by the Narberth Reg District in 3rd Qtr 1885.

I searched for the above, in the hope I could establish the wife of Edwin and therefore her burial. I have been able to establish the burial of an Ann Gwyther at Llanion on the 17 Jul 1900 in plot G 219.

I have now found that a Rose Gwyther was buried in plot B. 501 on the 05 Feb 1887 at Llanion Cemetery. Free BMD show Rose as aged 1 yr at death in 1st Qtr 1887. The only birth to fit is Rose Margaretta Gwyther born in one of the parishes cover by the Pembroke Reg District 4th Qtr 1885. Her baptism did not take place at Pembroke Dock St John, so most lightly non-conformist. Her birth certificate will reveal father and mothers maiden name.

Given that Rose may have received a varation of her mother’s forename, I note only that a Margaret Gwyther was buried at Llanion in plot D. 362. Do not assume that all family members where buried in the same plot, Park Street database gives enough evidence to discount this theory.

Sorry that one has waffled on so, just hope something here is of interest.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

v.wells

Thank you Oriel! Edwin has been sort of an enigma for me as I did find a birth in Portsmouth but could never find a marriage. My aunt Lilian (Mary) appears to be raised by one of the Gwyther brothers, along with her siblings. You have helped me a great deal confirming what I had assumed might be correct. Now I can rebuild Lilian's early life. It appears that they all liked to switch names about on the census. Even Aunt Lil's death cert identifies her as Mary when everone else called her Lil. She was Lilian on the marriage cert. I will order Rose's birth certificate. There isn't one for Lilian that I have found but I need to sort them all out first (there are a lot of Gwyther's).

Thank you very much. I appreciate your effort

ROY JOHN

I am very interested in your records. I am searching for the burial details of my great grandfather JOSEPH JOHN a grocer living in Clarence Street, Pembroke Dock. I would appreciate any information you may have.
    Kind regards

Roy John

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by ROY JOHN View Post
    burial details of my great grandfather JOSEPH JOHN a grocer living in Clarence Street,
    There is no surviving headstone for a Joseph John at Park Street, which closed to new burials in approx 1868, and the opening of the new cemetery at Llanion in 1872.
    About what date do you expect this event to take place?
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast