Loves to help with queries

Default In Memoriam by Steve Watt

Hi
    Just wondering if anybody has a copy of this book who would be willing to look up the record for a Great Uncle who we have just found out died? at? Mafeking.
    Apparently he was wounded at Kaalfontein in May '01 and subsequently contracted a disease at Mafeking in Jan'02

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Several site spring up on Googling. You may find an answer there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

ladysmith

I have a copy. If you let me have his name and any other details I'll look him up.

David

Hi David
    Name: LOMAS, J (Jeffrey)
    Soldier number: 3721
    Unit: 1 Battalion The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Casualty details: Wounded on 23 May 1901 at Kaalfontein (Official casualty roll location: Kaalfontein)

Casualty details: Disease on 18 Jan 1902 at Mafeking (Official casualty roll location: Mafeking)

John

ladysmith

Hi John - His entry shows him as having died of disease (probably enteric fever aka typhoid) at Mafeking (modern spelling Mafikeng) 18/1/1902. He is shown as being in the Volunteer Company of 1/LNL Regiment. He is buried in grave number 476 at Mafikeng Cemetery and his grave is marked with a named metal cross.

Hope this helps.

David

Hi
    Thank you very much David.
    It has taken us about 10 yrs to finalise this one.
    Originaly we were told he failed to return from WW1 so were searching all the wrong places, now all in a month we found him in SA.

Hi
    My daughter and her family have recently visited Mafikeng, they took out a copy of Jeffrey's army records and a copy of his photo for the custodians and have returned with photos of the grave and cemeteries.
    They are keen members of the Scouting movement so the connection with B-P also made the visit interesting.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi David,
    Not sure you are still on this site, but if you are, would love it if you could do a look up for me in In Memoriam please. I have been trying to track down an ancestor from NZ in the Boer War, a J (John). Butler. He was field court martialled from the 3 Contingent, 5th Coy, Rough Riders, reason unknown, and there have been conflicting information as to where he went after. he was killed at Winburg in Aug 1900. I now see on the Anglo Boer War.com site he was with the Queenstown Rifles with the In Memoriam book by S. Watts as a source and wondering if there is anymore information on him. Hoping you can help...many thanks. Shona (Australia)