ssncoleman

Default Windsor Foundling

Arthur or Albert Windsor is said to have been found in Windsor Great Park in the 1700s. I have an ancestor called William Windsor born circa 1793 (died 1830 aged 37) who I believe is one of the foundling's children, though could possibly be a grandson. I have William's marriage to Esther El(e)sley in 1818 in Chelsea, but cannot find William's baptism anywhere, in the Windsor/Eton area or London and the home counties, nor any mention of an Arthur or Albert Windsor. All foundlings would have been baptised - it was imperative to save the child's soul, and if found in Windsor Great Park baptism seems likely in the Windsor/Eton parishes. The Windsor branch I descend from ends up in West London (Brentford mainly). Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I have had contact in the distant past with a Windsor line who have the same foundling story in the family and they are descended from a Henry Windsor - thought (by dint of his estimated DoB) to be a brother of William. Thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums

Quote Originally Posted by ssncoleman View Post
    Arthur or Albert Windsor is said to have been found in Windsor Great Park in the 1700s. I have an ancestor called William Windsor born circa 1793 (died 1830 aged 37) who I believe is one of the foundling's children
    First, can you please tell us why you think your William WINDSOR is descended from this line?

I can see William & Esther's marriage at St Luke Chelsea on 19 July 1818, after banns, witnesses Thos BRYAN (apparently a church employee) and Anna Maria TAYLOR. Have you tried to check out Anna Maria TAYLOR at all, in case of a family connection?

Do you have William's occupation, from any baptism records for the children? I see an Emma WINDSOR was baptised 30 Jan 1820 at St Paul Hammersmith, and her father William was a Coachman. Is this the right family?

I see a possible burial for William WINDSOR at St Paul Hammersmith on 24 Oct 1830, aged 37. Have you checked the burial register for any address? Did he leave a will?

There's a possibility for the widowed Ester in Hammersmith in 1841, and in 1851 as grandmother of the children of George and Sarah A SMITH. HO107/1470 folio 75 page 21 (record held by TNA, Crown copyright). Is this the right person?

If so, she was born 'Framley, Surrey' (presumably Frimley -- there is a matching baptism on FamilySearch). Frimley was an area with a large military presence. Any chance that William had been in the army? Have you looked for a service record for him?

Just a few thoughts. Sorry to ask so many questions, but the more information you can give us the more chance there is of our members being able to help.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Windosr

I too have a William Windsor married to Esther in my family history.

The George and Sarah Ann Smith referred to are my gt gt grandparents.

Does anyone have any further information re William and Sara Ann Windsor since the 2011 blog entry?

Jack