Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David Annis

Default I have tried very hard with this one.

Arthur Copeland [ b1873] Chellaston, Derbyshire.
    Marries in Shardlow, Derbyshire, Sept 1894 to Florence Gertrude Southall [b1877] Derby.
    Their first born is Archibald Douglas, [4th qtr 1894]. Shardlow. vol 7b page 462. (that was a close call).
    Next comes Elsie Florence [b 1st march 1896] Chellaston.
    Their 3rd child is David Charles, [4th qtr 1896] Registration district Chesterfield. vol 7b page 767.
    Now in the 1901 census the family are firmly fixed in the Wolverhampton area.
    Florence and David are there but no sign of Archibald.
    By 1911 Arthur is a widower and borderer with a family, in Wolverhampton area, with Archibald but no David.
    I cannot spot Achibald in 1901 anywhere but hey ho he's back by 1911. Archie eventualy sails off to America to join an uncle from the Southall family.
    He returns and dies in York in 1966.
    After 1901, David Charles Copeland is nowhere to be found, married or dead.
    This family has a habit of sailing off to either America or as their daughter Beatrice does, sails to Canada.
    I'm wondering if David has done the same and jumped aboard a ship and sailed off somewhere.
    Of course David would have been called up for the 1914-18 war but I cannot spot him there either.
    So did David go to distant lands? Any help would be great.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Richard1955

Hi David
    Find My Past has a D.C. Copeland (b1897) sailiing to Halifax. Canada in May 1907
    Mrs S. A. Copeland is also on the same ship. The City of Bombay

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    Their 3rd child is David Charles, [4th qtr 1896] Registration district Chesterfield. vol 7b page 767.
    How sure are you that this birth in the index is your David? In the 1901 census he appears without a middle name.

1901: RG13/2683, f95, p29

Moreover, there is another David Chas. COPELAND census living in Chesterfield with father Jesse, born abt 1897 Stavely (Chesterfield registration.).

1901: RG13/ 3257, f35, p1

In the birth index there appears to be only one David Charles COPELAND registration in Derbyshire. So is this your David's registration?

As an aside, I think David the son of Jessie (not your David) may have served in the CEF. See here.

(Census, Crown copyright, in the care of the TNA)
    Last edited by olliecat; 06-08-2011 at 1:55 PM. Reason: fixed refs

Their first born is Archibald Douglas, [4th qtr 1894]. Shardlow. vol 7b page 462. (that was a close call)
    I cannot spot Achibald in 1901 anywhere but hey ho he's back by 1911.
    I can't see Archibald Douglas in 1901 after a basic search. Just a theory but could David in 1901 be Douglas? I.e. a mistake with the name on the census.

David Annis

Ollicate they have diferent registered births.
    I rather like the sailing in 1907. As I said they do a fair bit of travelling and they have had relatives do this sort of thing.
    David's mother's maiden name was Florence Gertrude Southall, born about 1877, Derby. She has family that have moved over to the USA. Archibald goes over to stop with an Uncle H Southall and arrives 1st Oct 1923 Boston, Mas.
    It may well be that a young David Charles took the trip to Canada. This may explain why his sister, Beatrice, sailed to Canada.
    Liverpool 25th Jan 1930 and arrived Nova Scotia 30th Feb 1930. I do not know what the ship is called.
    Beatrice is working as a cook to a Mr L V Tew. London Ontario. She dies in 1969. It is not known if she married but there may have been children.
    I must look up who the lady was he travelled with.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Reputation beyond repute

Olliecat's comments seem very sound to me. The David in the 1901 census is aged 6 and born in Chellaston (ie born 1894-5). The registration you quoted is for 1896 (which would make him aged 3 in 1901) and in Chesterfield (Chellaston was in Shardlow RD).

They simply don't tie up.

I agree that "David" in 1901 is probably an enumerator's mistranscription of Archibald Douglas.

If you're seriously interested in David Charles, you really do need to get his birth certificate.

David Annis

Even though there are birth index's for;
    Archibald Douglas Copeland 4th qtr 1894. Registration district, Sharlow. Derbyshire. Vol 7b Page 467.
    And
    David Charles Copeland 4th qtr 1896. Registration district, Chestersfield. Derbyshire. Vol 7b Page 767.

(Florence had a brother called Douglas Archibald Southall. b1890. He and his wife moved to Connecticut. USA.)

A D C Copeland travels to Canada with a Mrs S A Copeland in 1907, if it was David, it would make him around eleven years old.
    It could be that David is not Florence's son but a child of another part of the family and that this Mrs S A Copeland is his mother.
    They may have not wished to explain this or could not be bothered in the 1901 census.
    It still doesnt explain though, drat it, where Douglas is in 1901, which is the fly in the ointment and may swing Ollicat'd theory his way.
    These £9. 25 keep adding up, I've swollen the GRO coffers by £46 in the last few weeks.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Ps. I've been watch Heir Hunters on the tv and in one prog the GRO said that they have between 7,000 and 9,000 requests every day. Not a bad buisness to be in at £9.25 a chuck.

Coromandel

Just looking at these two dates . . . unless Elsie's mother got pregnant almost immediately after giving birth to Elsie, it seems unlikely these two could be siblings.

The CEF papers mentioned by olliecat give us a very good candidate for that Q4 1896 registration. There's no date of birth on the papers, but on the second page it shows that David Charles Copeland was of 'apparent age' 18 years and 11 months old when he attested in August 1915 at Sydney, Nova Scotia. That would put his birth at around September 1896 if I've done my sums correctly, which would fit perfectly with the birth registration. He and his father (Jesse) are both shown as miners. There is a possible marriage in the Rotheram district in 1877 of Jesse Copeland and Sarah Augusta Eley, which might explain who S.A. Copeland was.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    D.C. Copeland (b1897) sailiing to Halifax. Canada in May 1907
    Mrs S. A. Copeland is also on the same ship. The City of Bombay
    The passenger list on the other end listing D^d Chas COPELAND and Sarah COPELAND is here...

https://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca...e003700058.jpg

Richard1955

Just looking at these two dates . . . unless Elsie's mother got pregnant almost immediately after giving birth to Elsie, it seems unlikely these two could be siblings.
    I'm not sure I agree with that as these are birth reg. entries and not birth dates.
    Elsie could have been born January 1896 and David December 1896.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast