Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that as these are birth reg. entries and not birth dates. Elsie could have been born January 1896 and David December 1896.
    That's not how I read it, Richard: I was taking "b. 1st March 1896" to be an actual date of birth, since there's a precise date. If David meant 1st quarter of 1896 then of course you're right, they could be siblings.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Richard, I was taking "b. 1st March 1896" to be an actual date of birth, since there's a precise date. If David meant 1st quarter of 1896 that's a different matter, of course.
    I wasn't sure if David mean born or baptised on this date? Checking on this, there is a baptism for Florence Elsie on the 1 Mar 1896 at Chellaston.

David Annis

I have had a quick wiz round for a Jesse Copeland.
    1901. Jesse Copeland. [widower] b1856. Residence, Staverley, Derbyshire.
    David Chas Copeland aged 4 is there as well.
    There is a returning ship from Halifax, Nova Scotia docking at Liverpool, 24 Dec 1920. Jesse Copeland. b1856
    I'm not sure where this leads but it looking more and more like birth certificates will need to be ordered.
    Cheers
    Dave.

judyg

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The CEF papers mentioned by olliecat give us a very good candidate for that Q4 1896 registration. There's no date of birth on the papers, but on the second page it shows that David Charles Copeland was of 'apparent age' 18 years and 11 months old when he attested in August 1915 at Sydney, Nova Scotia. That would put his birth at around September 1896 if I've done my sums correctly, which would fit perfectly with the birth registration. He and his father (Jesse) are both shown as miners. There is a possible marriage in the Rotheram district in 1877 of Jesse Copeland and Sarah Augusta Eley, which might explain who S.A. Copeland was.
    The 1911 Nova Scotia Census for Glace Bay Town, Cape Breton South
    David Copeland aged 15 born September 189? (very blurry – looks like either a broken 6 or a 5 without its hat) employed as a driver in a coal mine. Immigration year is shown as 1907.
    He is shown as living with his father (G)essie (transcribed as Gussie), labourer in a coal mine - immigration year 1906 and Sarah – immigration year 1907.
    All the above would appear to definitely rule out this David Charles Copeland being a child of your Arthur Copeland.

Cheers
    Judyg
    Last edited by olliecat; 07-08-2011 at 4:49 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Coromandel

From the Cape Breton County Burial Index (downloadable Excel or .txt file) at

https://www.
    capebretongenweb.com/Cemeteries/cemindx.html

Greenwood Cemetery, Glace Bay, Section A
    no. 754: 'Copeland Annie 1902 - 1956 Wife of David'
    no. 755: 'Copeland David C. 1896 - 1976 Private; VG of Canada CA'

Findagrave has details of just 19 interments in Greenwood Cemetery . . . but amazingly, one of those is for a son of the above couple:

https://www.
    findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2212220&GRid=18750383&

David Annis

Thank you all for your super detective work.
    This David Charles Copeland is certanly not anything to do with my Copeland family.
    David who sailed off to Canada, is well documented in 1901, living with his widowed father Jesse in Staverly, Derbishire.
    The David I have, is shown living in 1901 with Arthur and Florence Copeland of Wolverhampton.
    The birth registration of 1896 for David Charles, I would guess is likely to be Jesse's son.
    Olicate's theory that, David, is in fact Archibald Douglas Copeland may be closer to the truth.
    Maybe, like nearly all familys, he was called David within the family circle and this was not his given name.
    I've had a short check through to see if Jesse is conected to Arthur in some way. Have not spotted anything yet. The fact that Beatrice Copeland moved over to Canada in 1930 may or may not be a coincedence.
    Cheers
    Dave

Key04

Hello there. To answer your question as to Beatrice having children it is yes. She had two children to my knowledge. Also an uncle on the Southall side came to London Ontario in 1920 ish.
    Have a great day

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Good day, I am wondering about an obituary for Arthur. Would an obituary or death notice include pre deceased and living family?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12