Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Indigo_Child

I too have a lovely photo of my Great-Aunt Muriel Clark in her nursing uniform dramatically posed on a set of sweeping steps with the breeze lightly blowing. I actually remember her - she was ANCIENT when I was small - and she had some stories about nursing in WWI and how nurses were viewed as only a step above streetwalkers!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi valspall.
    The BBC are currently showing a WW1 drama called "The Crimson Field", where the Red Cross nurses wear a uniform very similar to that in your photo (all that appears to be missing is the Red Cross armband).
    There are pix on the bbc.co.uk website (put www. in front). Perhaps if you contacted the writer, Sarah Phelps, she would be able to give you some information, or point you in the right direction?
    Good luck!
    Jane

Growing old Disgracefully

If the photo was sent to her Brother - Cissie would be her nickname - it's a term of endearment short for Sister

valspall

It's funny that you say you remember your Great Aunt as being ancient as that's how I remember my grandmother. The thing is, the last time I saw her (before we emigrated) she would only have been in her 60's - not very much older than I am now and I am definitely NOT ancient!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12