Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godfrey Duckett

Sara Dee

Unhappy Godfrey Duckett

Godfrey Duckett married Sara Weston at Neen Savage in 1605. Please does anyone have any info at all about which spaceship he arrived on and from which planet. Many details about him after this date but from where he hails ? !!!

Richard1955

Hi Sara
    Have you tried 'googling' Godfrey Duckett as there seems to be lots going on there

Reputation beyond repute

If you tell us where you've already looked, we'll know what not to suggest.

What does the register say about the marriage?

Coromandel

Could you give us an idea of what kinds of record you've searched so far? That will help us advise you where to look next.

What else do you know about Godfrey? Have you found any references to his age or occupation, for example?

Sara Dee

Hi Coromandel
    thank you for reply. It is so long ago that I 'gave up' on Godfrey and am only now resuming searches that I need to assemle all sources searched but for the immediate record as I remember the marriage register was quite sparce in info. No occupation given. He married Sara Weston as stated in I think December 1605 at Neen Savage on the Herefordshire/ shropshire borders.
    she was described as mistress sara weston. No other clues.

Their first child bap at Bayton. Richard s/ Godfrey 1606, next two children Ann and Jane (?) bap at Cleobury Mortimer in 1608 and 1610 respectively.

The family proceed to move through Shropshire to Great Ness where Godfrey ended his days. Will and admin 1637, which probably would have made his birth somewhere iaround 1580 ? given marriage date etc. Sadly I can't deceipher the will apart from the occasional word here and there as it is in latin. I think he was a yeoman. Adding up the individual amounts of money listed I would estimate his estate at around £100. The document is 5 pages long (forgotten the size of paper, similar but slightly longer than A4. quarto ?? ) Sara survived him. Godfrey is listed in Great Ness P.R---- 8th March 1637 Godfrey Duckett of Nesscliffe buried.

In my searches over the years I have looked for various spellings of both Godfrey and Duckett i.e Galfridus, Geoffrey. Ducket, Ducet Duckett etc etc. oddley the Duckett spelling survived as that was my maiden name.

Any suggestion you may be able to offer will be gratefully received. I live in the North West so don't get to the shropshire area very often. Have searched nimerous sites on the net but nothing listed. I don't know which manor Neen savage or cleobury mortimer would have come under, perhaps that would be helpful ?
    kind regards Sara Dee.

Sara Dee

Hello Richard
    yes I have done that but most of the posts are those of my own. The rest are too recent. Thank you anyway. Sara Dee

Sara Dee

Hello Peter
    thank you for your reply. As both your own and Coromandel's questions are similar I hope the more detailed info I gave to the latter will suffice for both, otherwise it would just be repetitive. thank you, Sara Dee

Coromandel

Hello again Sara Dee

Our handwriting experts love a challenge, so why not scan your probate documents and post them here? (You can't post images directly, but can put them on a site such as Photobucket and then put links here.)

There may well be genealogical clues in manorial records. They can be difficult to decipher, but if you begin with the more modern ones to get an idea of the format and content, then it is easier to predict what the old ones are likely to say. Denis Stuart's book, Manorial Documents, is very helpful: perhaps your library can get hold of a copy for you? Another one to look out for is Paul Chambers' Early Modern Genealogy, which has lots of ideas for sources beyond the parish registers.

The Manorial Documents Register (held at Kew) is a list of known surviving manorial documents. It is gradually being put online. Luckily for you, Shropshire is one of the counties included in the online version. If you go to 'Advanced search' you can search by parish name.

Another way to discover which manors were in a particular area is to look for parish histories or the Victoria County History (VCH). Some counties' VCHs are much more complete than others. See

https://www.
    victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/

for details of what's been published so far. Some volumes are online on the British History Online site (I haven't located any VCH for Neen Savage or Cleobury Mortimer though haven't searched very thoroughly.)

The Cleobury Mortimer History Society's website looks like an excellent place to start:

https://www.
    cleoburymortimerhistory.co.uk/index.html

It includes an online version of Rev. Samuel Auchmuty's history of the parish. I've only glanced at the first few pages, but it looks as if it is the sort of book that would deal with the history of the manor(s).

I had better get back to work now. In the meantime I will have a think about what other sources you could try.

Sara Dee

Thumbs up Thank you Coromandel

Many thanks for your helpful advice. I think I will go down the road of of Marorial documents also contact the c.m. site. I'm afraid that I'm not having much luck posting the will/admin on the photobucket site so if I can't fathom another way of posting it I will have to search for somebody who can read latin wills so that I can send a copy to them. thanks once again for your interest and advice
    kind regards
    Sara.

Loves to help with queries

I have seen people in Lancashire whose name was Duckworth spelled as Duckett. Just a suggestion, cicilysmith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast