L Murphy

Default Murphy census Annaghdown

Hi there,
    Does anyone know how I can get to search for census records around about 1800 - 1830 for the Annaghdown, Galway area?

I'm looking for Michael Murphy's parents or any relation. Michael was born 1821 in Annaghdown.
    I purchased Michael's wedding certificate but I cannot quite make out his father's name (maybe John).

Where do I start to look? Any advise,
    Thanks Lynn

Jan1954

Although the first Irish census took place in 1813, it was deemed to be so inaccurate that it was destroyed. They had another go in 1821 but there are only fragments that have survived for County Galway and these are kept in the National Archives in Dublin.

Why not see if you can scan in that part of the certificate that you are having trouble reading - not the whole certificate - and upload it here via photobucket (see these instructions) as another pair of eyes may help.

Knowledgeable and helpful

All the Irish censuses from 1821 to 1891 have been destroyed save for a few fragments (which do include some the the 1821 for Galway):

www.
    irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/population-census.html

You could try the parish records for Michael's baptism, if you know where took place, but the records may not go back that far. Most surviving RC parish records have been copied and are in the National Library, Dublin.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 16-07-2011 at 5:39 PM. Reason: removed direct link to site containing advertising

obbie

the earliest baptism for his name sake is 1834 same parish .
    google rootsireland
    go down left column into countys
    west galway
    you can click into search that parish

L Murphy

Here is the certificate I purchased. Name of Michael's father?

Thanks Lynn

L Murphy

Sorry, the pic didn't come out as big as I wanted.... first time Iv'e done this, please excuse.
    Lynn