Starting to feel at home

Default Arthur F Whatley - Alderbury 1901?

The FMP search index places Arthur F Whatley, born 1895, in the Alderbury, Wiltshire, census registration district for 1901. I have trawled the images for Alderbury, Whaddon and Clarendon and have not found him. Please can anyone give me a clue as to where else I might find a 1901 census image with him on?

With many thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,
    David

Reputation beyond repute

The National Archives; RG 13/1952 f 48 p 22

(parish of Fisherton Anger)

Starting to feel at home

Peter,
    Many thanks. I have, however, looked at all of the page 22s for Fisherton Anger and still can't find him. What am I doing wrong?
    Regards,
    David

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi David,
    As Peter seems to be off-line at the moment, I'll butt in.
    Can't think why you can't find him on FMP given that reference - and there will only be one page 22 with that piece and folio number. Did you select the correct year from the dropdown box?

However if you search on FMP for Arthur Whatley, born 1895, living in Alderbury, that should find him, even though his place of abode is Fisherton Anger. (Ancestry have him indexed as Whattey.)

ADDED: Would you believe that the town/village is listed as Fisherton Anger Within, so you have to put the whole place? The 'Within' is written below the place box and is not 'obviously' part of the place name.
    Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi David. Peter appears to be offline at the moment. Have you tried using the census reference that he provided?

Also, if you can tell which site you are using, we can advise further. I assume it is not FMP since you mentioned that you can see Arthur in the index. However, if you were subscribed you then would be able to view the transcription and/or the image.

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks to both of you for replying.

I am using Ancestry.

I have checked Arthur Whattey and can see how that surname could be conjured by an indexer out of Whatley. Arthur F Whattey has as parents Samuel and Ellen Poole. This complicates my search and makes me think that I am chasing the wrong Arthur Whatley/Whattey.

The chap I am looking for was lost when the Indefatigable blew up at Jutland. CWGC gives his parents thus: Son of Frank and Clara Whatley, of 46, Windsor Rd., Fisherton, Salisbury, Wilts., and his age at death as 21.

With thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
    David

If you look closely, it says 'adopted' underneath the 'son' so it could still be the same Arthur.
    Have you managed to find a Frank and Clara on the 1901 or 1911 census?
    There's a marriage June quarter 1893 Chippenham registration district with Frank Whatley and Clara Case being the only people on the page.
    Pam
    (dashing out for an appointment, but if olliecat hasn't come up with any answers by the time I get back , I'll have a further look.)

Possible deaths (need further investigation)

Frank Whatley, 36, Dec quarter 1897, Wilton

Clara Whatley, 31, Dec quarter 1898 Salisbury

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    There's a marriage June quarter 1893 Chippenham registration district with Frank Whatley and Clara Case being the only people on the page.
    Pam
    (dashing out for an appointment, but if olliecat hasn't come up with any answers by the time I get back , I'll have a further look.)
    Looks to me as if you have already found a good possibility for his parents Pam.

Just speculating now but in 1891 there is a 23 year old Clara CASE working as a servant in the Alderbury sub-reg district in the parish of The Close. RG12/1621, f77, p10

Also in 1891 there is a 26 year old Frank WHATLEY lodging in Fisherton Anger. He is single. RG12/1617, f9, p12

In 1901 the same Frank WHATLEY is visiting in Fisherton Anger. He is a widower. RG13/1952, f22, p3.

It could be that Clara died in 1898 (see Pam's previous post) and Frank placed son Arthur in the care of the Poole's. By the way, I checked the address recorded on the CWGC in the 1911 census but there were no WHATLEY's living there at that time.

Of course, Arthur's birth certificate would clarify matters.

Births Dec 1894 Alderbury 5a 152
    WHATLEY Arthur Frank

(census crown copyright, in the care of the TNA)

Starting to feel at home

Once again, very many thanks to you both for all of your help.
    Regards,
    David