Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Default John Bishop of Brisbane c 1850's

Does anyone have anything on Thomas Bishop born 1854 in Brisbane, or his parents John Bishop and Mary Anne nee Weatherell who were married 1854 in Brisbane, I can't find when John Bishop arrived,(pre 1854) or where he came from, only a mention of him in the Moreton Bay Courier living in Kangaroo Point Brisbane at the time of his son's birth in 1854, I have a feeling that he might have had something to do with shipping as I found an article possibly about him buying a ferry and also his son Thomas married Jane Amelia Sterling who was the daughter of a South Brisbane Marine Surveyor named Francis Sterling.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Hugh.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

John Bishop and Mary Anne Weatherell married 28 May 1850, but it was not registered until 1854 by the reference number. Thomas was baptised 2 March 1851, it also does not appear to have been registered until 1854 by the reference number. Though maybe that 1854 means nothing as there is child baptised Feb 1855 which bears the same prefix, but since it is early in the year might well be on the same page as an 1854 baptism.

If John Bishop died 1907 or after, then his birthplace should be recorded on his death certificate, but will not have his parents names. Maybe a newspaper marriage notice would mention his father's name.
    ChristineR

Nannas

Hiya,
    Moreton Bay was still classed as NSW back then.
    The marriage and births should be on NSW BDM.
    The 1854 dates listed on QLD BDM would probably be the dates that the records were registered with QLD BDM.

There is a John BISHOP mentioned in land records in Moreton Bay as early as 1845 right through to 1857. (this 1857 is either a marriage or divorce record)

There are Intestacy returns mentioning Mary Ann BISHOP, widow of John BISHOP, of Lytton nr Brisbane beginning in 1884.

Nannas

Nannas

Hi again,
    On a quick look at QLD BDM this might be your John's death
    1884/C2327 John Bishop Father: Henry Bishop Mother: Mary Moran

Was the only John BISHOP death between 1880 and 1884.

Nannas

Nannas

Hmmmm,
    Double checked and the John above was born/died 1884, so that one cannot be yours..
    There are only 2 listed during 1870's
    1878 John Bishop Father: Thomas Bishop Mother: Anne Gum
    1879 John Bishop - - ** born England aged about 32 years (this one would be too young)

Back to the drawing board.
    Nannas

Aussie1947

Hi,

There were a few Thomas Bishops around but this maybe your Thomas, his occupation was maritime related.

The 1885-86 Brisbane PO Directory & Country Guide has a Thomas Bishop, ferryman, Ernest St South Brisbane.

The 1887 Brisbane PO Directory & Country Guide has a Thomas Bishop, ferryman, Hope St South Brisbane.

The 1888 Brisbane PO Directory & Country Guide has a Thomas Bishop, ferryman, Stanley St East.

The 1892 Queensland PO directory has a Thomas Bishop of Ferry St West End, occupation ferryman.

Regards
    Gerry

Aussie1947

Hi again,

There was a Francis Sterling listed as a Mariner of Peel St South Brisbane in the 1874 Queensland PO Directory.

Gerry

Hugh Thompson

Hi Christine, thanks for that, I was going by the Qld indexes and I should have looked at NSW as it was before 1859, you'd think that they would have put the correct dates when they transferred the details, I was beginning to think that they had triplets as there was three 1854 births!!, I've searched high and low for a mention of their marriage in the newspapers without any luck, I'll retrace my steps focusing on 1850 and see what shows up, I don't know when he died so I'll see what details his marriage cert has.
    Thanks Nannas, the 1857 entry wouldn't be for a divorce as they were still having children in 1858 and 1861, also there were a few John Bishops around Brisbane at the time and most of the family notices in the papers are for the other ones, I think the 1845 land record could be him, does it mention where the land was?
    Thanks Gerry, I think he was a ferryman so those entries are probably him, and the Francis Sterling of Peel St is definitely one of mine.
    Thanks to you all.
    Hugh.

Nannas

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Hi Christine, thanks for that, I was going by the Qld indexes and I should have looked at NSW as it was before 1859, you'd think that they would have put the correct dates when they transferred the details, I was beginning to think that they had triplets as there was three 1854 births!!, I've searched high and low for a mention of their marriage in the newspapers without any luck, I'll retrace my steps focusing on 1850 and see what shows up, I don't know when he died so I'll see what details his marriage cert has.
    Thanks Nannas, the 1857 entry wouldn't be for a divorce as they were still having children in 1858 and 1861, also there were a few John Bishops around Brisbane at the time and most of the family notices in the papers are for the other ones, I think the 1845 land record could be him, does it mention where the land was?
    Thanks Gerry, I think he was a ferryman so those entries are probably him, and the Francis Sterling of Peel St is definitely one of mine.
    Thanks to you all.
    Hugh.
    So why ya talking to Cris,,,,,when I found the issue??
    Wasn't you or Christine...
    Was me

Hugh Thompson

What's the problem Nannas?.
    Hugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast